Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York City wedding trip - need parking tips near UN Millenium Plaza (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-wedding-trip-need-parking-tips-near-un-millenium-plaza-851861/)

Buckeyeknitter Jul 27th, 2010 07:47 PM

New York City wedding trip - need parking tips near UN Millenium Plaza

My son is getting married in NYC in late August on Saturday night. They have reserved a block of rooms at the United Nations Millenium Plaza hotel. The wedding is at The Foundry which is right across the river in Queens. A number of people will be driving to New York from the midwest and will need to park cars. The hotel does not have a garage but said there are city lots nearby - but no in and out privileges - and the rates are close to $50 per day. Any suggestions other than not driving in terms of parking?

Thanks
Pam

Aduchamp1 Jul 27th, 2010 08:00 PM

How many days will you be in NY total?

You will not need a car once you are in NY. You can even take a cab to Queens or arrange for car service.

Many others know the cheaper lots and you can park there once you drop off your luggage.

Buckeyeknitter Jul 27th, 2010 09:03 PM

most people will be there three days. I will be there a week
Since posting I did a little more research and found where there are several places to make reservations with in and out privileges at a better rate thanks

travelbuff Jul 27th, 2010 09:06 PM

The hotel is located at 44th and 1st Ave almost right across the street from the UN, and not much parking right there. There are garages just off 2nd Ave in the low 40's but that is not going to be inexpensive parking and $50 a day may be not far from the price.

If your guests go to one of websites like Icon Parking or even google parking garages in NYC they should find some reasonable lots.

I can suggest the lot across the street from NYU on 1st Ave just south of 34th St as a reasonably priced lot. I don't know of any lots that would have in and out in NYC. Once you park if you take the car out and return it you have to pay again.

You may also find discount coupons on the websites as well. I used to use a garage on 22nd between 1st and 2nd that was almost cheap by NY standards, not sure what the price is now, but it would be a short bus ride up 1st Ave and a good option.

What you might do is get a map of the city for your guests so they can figure out where things are located in reference to the hotel.

Also a car service to and from the wedding is a good suggestion, probably cheaper than driving and that way your guests won't have to worry about drinking and then trying to drive.

You can reserve cars on the websites or call. Carmel and Dial 7 are well known car services in the city.

Cabs may be a bit trickier, the driver may not want to go
TO Queens and there may not be enough cabs to come back into the city, also a cab driver in Manhattan may have no idea where the address of the wedding location.

Another option might be to hire a van or vans to transport your guests and the car services can also help with that.

Hope this helps a bit.

Aduchamp1 Jul 27th, 2010 11:19 PM

Cab drivers often know Brooklyn and Queens because they live there and addresses just over the river.

doug_stallings Jul 28th, 2010 04:46 AM

There are loads of private garages near the hotel, but parking does tend to cost about $30 to $40 per day, usually without in/out privileges. I would second the suggestion that people should NOT drive to Queens for the actual wedding. Arrange car services. If four people share a car, they can go for about $12 per person, and you're unlikely to find easy parking in Queens either. If you have enough people and can book a group of cars, you might also get a group discount.

POMAH Jul 28th, 2010 07:23 PM

Guests will be driving to NYC from the mid-west? huh? As in a caravan fashion? Why not take a plane, cab to hotel, cab to Queens instead? It'll save you all $ on parking, tickets, etc.

mclaurie Jul 29th, 2010 07:27 PM

As far as I know, the hotel certainly does have a garage but it will be pricey. Bestparking.com is the way to find garages/prices in any area. Driving to the wedding venue sounds like a recipe for disaster for midwesterners. Do they not plan to drink at all? I would look into arranging for a bus or private cars to transport guests.

otto Jul 30th, 2010 03:13 AM

you might consider any other kind of transportation for this trip, flight, train, etc... the cost of tolls, parking, etc...will equate to the cost of a ticket. no good can come of driving in and around the city when you are not used to it, (it's a nightmare even when you are) and paying for parking.

SandyBrit Jul 30th, 2010 03:48 AM

Buckeyeknitter:

Why not call the hotel and clarify what parking they offer? Listed under services on the hotel website Covered Parking, Valet Parking.

If you all are determined to drive to NYC then I agree with those who suggest that you arrange for car/van service for a large group of guests for the actual wedding.

Congratulations and do report back how this all works out.

Sandy

rogfam Aug 1st, 2010 04:52 AM

Use this website. Best rates around.

http://nyc.centralparking.com/New-York.html

nytraveler Aug 1st, 2010 05:26 AM

Cannot agree strongly enough that people should NOT drive from Manhattan to Queens and back for a wedding. Many times the police put impromptu blocks on the river crossings to look for drivers that have been drinking, not using seat belts etc - and you're guests won;t want a ticket - moving violations are $150 and up - DUI a much bigger issue. And driving around Queens is not easy for people not familiar with the area.

Agree you wold need to hire shuttles from Manhattan to Queens for the guests.

sandi Aug 1st, 2010 05:54 AM

Garage parking in NYC isn't cheap. If guests insist on driving, have them park their cars for the duration at whatever the daily rates. Check some of the links above for rates (and locations) at various independent parking garages.

Then for the wedding, pre-arrange with one of the car services - Dial 7, Carmel, others to pick-up guests from the hotel, take them to the wedding; arrange a pick-up time from the wedding back into Manhattan. Easiest and safest.

For whatever free time guests have while in Manhattan, they can get around by bus, train and even foot.

bigbomoho Aug 1st, 2010 01:27 PM

as mentioned you really dont need a car while in NYC.If it were me, id park either in Riverdale or somewhere up the Pelham Bay line and leave the car all week,taking the subway into manhattan.Im familiar witht those 2 areas but im sure there are ohter neigh borhhods you could do the same

bigbomoho Aug 1st, 2010 03:57 PM

PS heres a web site that might help http://nyc.bestparking.com/index.php#

nytraveler Aug 1st, 2010 07:12 PM

I would be very hesitant to park a car in some random neighborhood on the street (even if yo can find places where the laws allow. If it's just left for that long at a time you may come back to find it gone or stripped.

bigbomoho Aug 2nd, 2010 05:23 AM

FYI, i was just in those neighborhoods 3 weeks ago,and theyre fine--in fact Riverdale is very toney--folks park on the street in front of their single family homes and theyre fine.I agree though that for the most part a parking garage is safer,unless the parking attendant wants to joy ride your car,or isnt very careful when he parks it

sandi Aug 2nd, 2010 06:46 AM

Riverdale and/or Pelham are at the very northern top of The Bronx... not a place I'd park if I had to subway down to Manhattan. Nor, as mentioned, leave a vehicle for three days (with out-of-town license plates) in a neighborhood where it's like putting a sign on it as: "strip my car" "break my mirror." Happens in the best of areas.

If you plan to garage park a vehicle for a few days... "never" tell them when you plan to pick-up, especially not for three days. You can say "be back tomorrow" - not enough time for attendent to do much damage, or take it for a joy ride. Then when you return 3/days later, just pay the amount due. At least with a garage, if any damage, you can put in a claim.

Using open street lot parking though may require you remove by midnight or not even have overnight service/security to protect your vehicle... go for an indoor garage, most all of which are 24/hrs or maybe till 2am.

doug_stallings Aug 2nd, 2010 07:01 AM

It's simply insane to suggest that someone park in a distant neighborhood in NYC for several days and leave the car unattended. That's a recipe for disaster, no matter how nice the neighborhood. Yes, people park on the street, but there is also alternate-side parking most of the time, and the car will almost certainly be towed after the first day.

Since the OP has never revisited this thread, I'm not convinced that this one ought to go on any further. It was a specific question that has been answered and expanded on.

Buckeyeknitter Sep 4th, 2010 06:53 PM

Just thought I would share my experience - I googled parking coupons in midtown and was able to print numerous copies (you need one each time you leave garage) 24 hour parking was $24/day with coupon as compared to $35 without in the same garage (333 E 46th St -Icon garage) and big savings from $47 rate at UN Millennium Plaza garage.

We arranged transportation to the wedding at the Foundry in Long Island City but relied on the doorman calling cars for the return trip to the hotel. I did learn my lesson. My parents and two of their friends were soaked for $41 for that short ride. I paid $21. I told them to verify the fare before they got in the car but they forgot to do so - I know now never to get in a car without verifying the fare first. BTW - the wedding was wonderful!