Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York City vs Boston (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-vs-boston-669735/)

sanketsmi Jan 12th, 2007 12:35 PM

New York City vs Boston

We are going to Cooperstown in August and figured we'd add another stop - can't decide which would be better deal - taking Amtrak to
New York and will travel to either city the same way - Thoughts?

rjw_lgb_ca Jan 12th, 2007 01:00 PM

I think it depends on what kind of Major City Experience you desire. Both are full of history and culture. But New York City's energy and drive and sense of hustle make it very different from Boston, which is a bit more genteel and less frenetic.

I love both cities. I find I can relax more and take in the colonial history of Boston more easily; New York has so much going on, I find myself wrapped up in the rhythm of the city, running around trying to do it all. It's really up to you as to what kind of city appeals to you.

happytrailstoyou Jan 12th, 2007 02:01 PM

Is this a joke? If you don't know the difference, go to Boston.

ggreen Jan 12th, 2007 02:08 PM

Keep in mind that August in the Northeast is hot and muggy! Both cities offer waterfront activities, though Boston might feel a little cooler than NYC. NYC has tons of outdoor concerts and other events all summer long, many of them free. (Boston probably does too.)

One thing to consider is that Amtrak from upstate NY to Boston may get tricky. In fact, I hope you know that you can't actually take a train from NYC to Cooperstown; the nearest station is 40 miles away in Utica...
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/visitor_info/maps.htm

nina Jan 12th, 2007 02:33 PM

Boston. Much more charming, picturesque, walkable, historic, less crowded, calmer, clean and the hotels cost less!

Are you going with children? Boston.

NY is overrated. Waaayyyyy overrated.

escargot Jan 12th, 2007 02:34 PM

You might want to search on here under "boston" and "NYC" and look for trip reports, even search under "Trip Report: NYC" and then the same for Boston and read what others have done and web links they give to activities - as well as some guide books -

so much to do in each wonderful city, it all depends on your interests and also, how many days are you talking about? ages? interests?

I think for some, Boston is a more 'doable' city in the sense that much of it is concentrated on one place since it is so much smaller, and very walkable - while for me, NYC is all about the different areas aside from what some consider the usual tourist spots of Times Sq and midtown - like venturing into Soho, east village, west village, the list is endless....

Not that Boston doesn't have its neighborhoods -
North End, South End - but they are not as big or varied to me as NYC's.. which makes it perhaps a bit less overwhelming for some.

I love them both so much I couldn't choose one for you...both have history, culture, fabulous restaurants, waterfront areas.... Boston has theater, but not Broadway or off Broadway choices like NYC, so I think you need to think about what exactly it is you would like to see in each city and I think reading some reports on this board might help you narrow it down.

starrsville Jan 12th, 2007 02:34 PM

nyc

nina Jan 12th, 2007 02:36 PM

Happy, Just curious, why would you insinuate that this is a joke?

I've taken visitors from Europe to both cities and they preferred Boston to NY.

Hell, I prefer Boston to NY, my husband prefers Boston to NY (where he works 5 days a week).

I don't get your comment?

irishswampyankee Jan 12th, 2007 03:57 PM

Boston/NY - apples and oranges. Think about what type of city appeals to you, then decide.

happytrailstoyou Jan 12th, 2007 04:26 PM

I thought it was a joke because IMHO New York City, Paris, London, and Istanbul are among the most fascinating cities in the worlds, whereas Boston is not. However, irishswampyankee has the right idea; sanketsmi should weigh which city holds the most fascination for him (her) and go to that city.

nytraveler Jan 12th, 2007 04:33 PM

I would check the Amtrak schedules. Besides not being able to get to Cooperstown I don;t think you can get from there to boston without going through NYC.

As for which to choose - naturally I think NYC has much more to see (although Boston does have the edge on colonial history).

How much time do you have?

Have you ever been to either?

Have you looked at the main sights of each - to see what interests YOU more?

TKT Jan 12th, 2007 04:52 PM

I enjoy both cities but Happytrails is correct. NYC is one of the world's great cities. If you want vibrant hectic non-stop excitment go with NYC. If you would like to have things go slower and have less nightlife-streetlife, along with more colonial history go with Boston.