Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York City to New Jersey - best way to get there? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-to-new-jersey-best-way-to-get-there-608232/)

holly777 Apr 17th, 2006 03:18 AM

New York City to New Jersey - best way to get there?

Hello,

I am leaving in 2 days for New York City - for fun, then going to Somerset, New Jersey for a trade show. I am wondering what is the best way to travel to NJ - train, bus or rental car? I fly in to LGA and fly home from Newark.

I am staying in Times Square, so if do take a train or bus where do I catch it? We will have luggage. Taxis are fine. Not worried about saving money, just the most convenient/efficient way.
Mapquest shows it as a 50 min. drive/42 mi.
(I have searched & can't find a similar answer to my query) Thanks!

holly777 Apr 17th, 2006 03:53 AM

PS

I thought that if I rent a car, perhaps I should first taxi to a location which would remove me from the manhattan traffic, and take the rental car from there...suggestions?

bill_boy Apr 17th, 2006 03:55 AM

Take a car.

Public transportation is not as prevalent in New Jersey as it is in other states.

joethekay Apr 17th, 2006 04:08 AM

Where is the trade show?
My suggestion would be to rent a car at the Newark Airport. That way you can return it before your flight. To get to Newark: Taxi would be around $ 50. New Jersey Transit Train from Penn Station ($ 14) to Newark Airport station then take people mover to P3 stop which has all the major car rental companies. Takes about 45-60 minutes.
Check this Link:
http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark

mclaurie Apr 17th, 2006 04:28 AM

If you're staying in Somerset for a while, you will need a car there. I wouldn't worry about renting a car in Manhattan other than how it affects the price. That would be most convenient to get the car in the city when you're ready to go to NJ and return it to the airport as you leave. I'd cost out renting in Manhattan and dropping at Newark vs pick up and drop off at Newark. All the majors have rental locations in the city.

GoTravel Apr 17th, 2006 05:37 AM

I just did this a couple of months ago.

Are you staying at the Doubletree Somerset for the Convention Center there?

If so, I caught NJ Transit Train (NE Corrider line I think)from Penn Station to New Brunswick, NJ and had the hotel shuttle bus (free) pick me up.

To get to Newark, I had the hotel shuttle take me back to the New Brunswick train station and caught the Express train to Newark Airport. The express train had me there in 10 minutes.

holly777 Apr 17th, 2006 10:15 AM

wow! fast responses - thank you so much.

Go Travel, yes, as a matter of fact, I am staying at the Doubletree Somerset. Too funny! And, I couldn't believe it was less money to fly in & out of 2 different airports than it is to fly to & from the same airport (Newark).

Joethekay, that answers your question about the trade show.

Thanks for all the help - I'll look these options over! (It does seem like a good idea to have a car while I'm in Somerset)

holly777 Apr 17th, 2006 11:49 AM

Car Rental for 3 days: (Budget)

Pick up Manhattan, Drop EWR, 285.00 for mid-size

Pick up & drop at EWR, 129.00 mid-size

GoTravel Apr 17th, 2006 12:00 PM

Never ever pick up a rental car in Manhattan if you can avoid this.

There are a stupid number of surcharges and add ons.

You would be better off taking the train to Florida to pick up a rental.

joethekay Apr 17th, 2006 01:19 PM

holly777, FYI, there is an enterprise car rental right at the hotel. You could take Go Travel advice to get there and rent a car for your stay. There is also scheduled van service to Newark airport from the Doubletree. Ask the hotel for a schehedule.

holly777 Apr 18th, 2006 09:33 AM

ok, final plan, combo of Joethekay & GoTravel. Train to New Brunswick, Enterprise Car Rental pick up at Doubletree to have car for stay, drop off at Newark. Thanks so much! Going to see the Odd Couple - too cool!