Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York City Museum (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-museum-955935/)

MaisiePlague Nov 7th, 2012 05:11 AM

New York City Museum

Hello, I'll be in New York City for a week in December and would like to go to a museum to find out more about the history of the city. I've already been to Ellis Island which I enjoyed. What would be the best museum to go to to explore New York City's history? Thank you very much.

doug_stallings Nov 7th, 2012 05:25 AM

That would be the Museum of the City of New York on the Upper East Side, about 15 blocks up from the Metropolitan Museum. Or the New-York Historical Society, which is on the west side, just south of the Museum of Natural History. Both have their virtues, so I'd suggest look at their respective web sites to see what might interest you more, or just going to both.

vjpblovesitaly Nov 7th, 2012 05:27 AM

Check out the exhibits at the Museum of the City of New York and the New-York Historical Society. If you like immigrant history in particular, the Lower East Side Tenement Museum might interest you. You need to sign up for a tour for that. It is an historical tenement house and visitor center. I think they redid the visitor center since I'd been there.

SueNYC Nov 7th, 2012 06:39 AM

All three have excellent gift shops with wonderful book selections. MCNY has a good exhibit about Staten Island (BHS) before hurricane Sandy and the historical society's exhibit about WW II and Sandy is a must see. There is also a newly opened Museum in the Brooklyn Naval Yard (as well as a working distillery in a separate building).

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Gronkdude24 Nov 7th, 2012 07:20 AM

I agree with Doug you can't go wrong with the Museum of the City. Its also nice to just walk around all the main attractions. It will be crowded, but its hard to not be blow away by the sights.

nyer Nov 7th, 2012 08:52 AM

Both MCNY and NYHS are outstanding. In my opinion, the MCNY seems a little more focused on the history of NY itself and the NYHS excels in its special exhibits (like the current excellent "WWII and NYC") NYHS does have a nice film/spectacle on the city from it's origination to today.

I think going to both is an excellent idea!

nytraveler Nov 7th, 2012 10:08 AM

Neither museum is that large - so you can comfortably cover in one visit - not like the Met or Nat'l Hist - that can take days to see.

MaisiePlague Nov 8th, 2012 04:44 AM

Thank you all for the replies which are very helpful. I will definitely go the the Museum of the City of New York and the New York Historical Society. The other museums interest me too so I will see if I can squeeze them in during my 8 days there.

doug_stallings Nov 8th, 2012 05:08 AM

The Tenement Museum is definitely worthwhile. Just make sure you make a reservation in advance for a tour. Those tend to sell out as the number of tourists increases.

MaisiePlague Nov 8th, 2012 06:35 AM

Thank you Doug I will do that.