Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NEW YORK CITY LOCAL FAVORITE ITALIAN (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-local-favorite-italian-304477/)

LALA Apr 7th, 2003 07:55 AM

NEW YORK CITY LOCAL FAVORITE ITALIAN

Will be in New York City in Apr and would love to find a local favorite Italian restaurant not too expensive. We will be staying Midtown.<BR>Any suggestions?

MFNYC Apr 7th, 2003 08:01 AM

For a real tuscan experience, I Coppi on the East Village (E. 9th st, i think between 1st and 2nd avs). FOr tratoria style Italian, Lupa on Thompson street in the village is great and very reasonable although it gets mobbed, to avoid a wait, arrive no later than 6pm. For your more 'typical' red sauce type italian food, I like Ennio and Michael's on Laguardia Place. The staff there is great and the food is very good. I don't eat much in the midtown area so I don't have any suggestions for that part of town.

mrsez Apr 7th, 2003 08:01 AM

Carmines!!!!!!There is one near theatre district and one further uptown on upper west side...humongous portions, cheap...good...

bmw732002 Apr 7th, 2003 08:26 AM

LALA:<BR><BR>Here are my two 'opposite' favorites<BR><BR>&quot;Babbo&quot; for the fine Mario Batalli fare! expensive ( so is I Coppi)<BR> <BR>&quot;Ralphs&quot; for ' basic red sauce', great prices (54th and ninth)<BR>JOHN

MFNYC Apr 7th, 2003 08:50 AM

Lupa is also a M. Batalli restaurant but cheaper than Babbo. Babbo is great but it's pricey. If you check zagats, Babbo runs about $20 more than I Coppi and Lupa. I coppi is easier to get into than those babo and lupa. Carmine's, although I haven't eaten there, is large portions meant for sharing, it's more of a pre-theater/tourist type stop than fine dining. There are many excellent Italian places all over Manhattan (and the other burroughs as well).

GoTravel Apr 7th, 2003 09:27 AM

Carmines is like eating at Olive Garden. For family style, Becco is much better.<BR><BR>Agree with Babbo.

Elainee Apr 7th, 2003 09:33 AM

Becco, expecially pre-theatre is a treat and very well priced and perfect location. Best inexpensive wine list in NYC. Also, Becco is fun! Need to make reservations in advance.

wantsomesun Apr 7th, 2003 01:41 PM

Our favorite is Pomodoro which is closer to you than going down to the village. Pomodoro is great and fresh bread makes it even more special. It is on Columbus Ave at 70th St. not far from Lincoln Center. We always take friends there from out of town and have always gotten rave reviews of the food, service and atmosphere. During the nice weather, you can even sit outside.<BR><BR>Have fun while you are here.

belediAZ Apr 7th, 2003 02:44 PM

A few non-traditional ideas... no tourists here, just locals.<BR><BR>Gennaro: Amsterdam in the low 90s - no reservations so only go if you can go early. Southern Italian with beautiful wine list and delicious food.<BR><BR>Frank: East village, small, cramped, inexpensive, and scrumptious.<BR><BR>Picolo Angelo: West village, absolutely delicious, full of locals, and the owner will come to your table and recite the entire menu by heart. It's a bit of a shtick, but cute.<BR><BR>I agree with everyone else about Babbo, I Coppi and the rest. Carmine's is fine if you're with a large group and don't mind the tourist scene, but the food's so-so. Enjoy, mangia...

sgbslo Apr 7th, 2003 02:57 PM

Another big vote for Piccolo Angolo on Hudson at Jane. We always enjoy it and have sent quite a few people there and everyone is always pleased.

Travelermebe Apr 7th, 2003 03:05 PM

You might try Pietro's located in Midtown East on 43rd Street between 2nd and 3rd Aves. Very good Italian food (try the Chicken Tetrazini) and steaks.

rnbtr Apr 7th, 2003 03:13 PM

Try Portfino's on 2ndAve and 63 St check food and moderat price for New YOrk. We go there a least once a month from Staten Island NY

mclaurie Apr 7th, 2003 03:22 PM

Il Vagabondo on 62nd betw 1st &amp; 2nd is a good old fashioned &quot;red sauce&quot; place with a bocce court for fun.

pattynyc Apr 7th, 2003 08:57 PM

I like Locanda dei Vini on Ninth Avenue and 51st or 52nd Streets. Small, romantic, quiet and great food.

syd1 Apr 8th, 2003 01:00 PM

stick with beledi az's suggestions-- you wont go wrong!