Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York City - Focused on Art (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-focused-on-art-988315/)

Lexma90 Aug 12th, 2013 09:53 AM

New York City - Focused on Art

My mother and I are treating ourselves to a long weekend in NYC in late Fall, each to celebrate a significant birthday. We've visited NYC before (separately), and while she's a bit inclined to want to do whatever latest touristy thing she's heard about from friends who've visited the city recently, we are both very interested in art and history. (For the record, I'm a non-TS-hotel person; I've stayed on the UWS and in Murray Hill, whichi s where we're staying this time too; mom is more of a TS-hotel person.)

On the agenda so far: the Frick - I've already purchased our tickets for the Vermeer exhibit, which will be the highlight of my weekend. Also the Neue Galerie, to see the Klimt. The Met, to see or re-see whatever we want. And the Tenement Museum. I've considered the Cloisters, and I'm just not just we want to devote the time to get to it this trip. The High Line, if the weather is good.

Any other suggestions from New Yorkers on other things to do or see? Or special art-related activities? For example, if we were in Paris, I would feel we should have a meal a le Violon d'Ingres. I've thought about a private guide that does art tours, or a private guide for the Met only; my mom might really like that.

amyb Aug 12th, 2013 12:24 PM

The Met recently reopened its newly renovated European galleries, which are just gorgeous. And while I'm not a huge modern art fan, I love to go to MOMA for the room of Monet's Waterlillies and Van Gogh's Starry Night. There is also a Klimt there that I love. Well worth checking out.

PhillyFan Aug 12th, 2013 12:47 PM

The Strand Bookstore near Union Square has an amazing selection of art books - most of them are discounted. When I visit, I spend about an hour on this floor alone.

HappyTrvlr Aug 12th, 2013 12:50 PM

When you go to the Highline, you aren't too far from The Rubin Museum of Art. Indian, Himslayan, Chinese, beautiful place. 17th and 7th.

BigRuss Aug 12th, 2013 01:19 PM

<< most of them are discounted. >>

Huh? I thought only some sort of rare literary editions would be the only books not discounted at The Strand.

Overall, the City is art lover heaven. Check out what the Brooklyn Museum is doing too - it's actually fairly good when not hosting scatological or shock-art exhibitions.

nytraveler Aug 12th, 2013 02:01 PM

From the history side - have a look to see what the exhibits are at the New York Historical society.

And for a quick view of gorgeous while you're in the area - look at the reading room of the main branch of the NY Public Library - it's to die for.

Centralparkgirl Aug 12th, 2013 02:29 PM

Consider a docent tour at the Morgan Library and Museum - beautiful and special NY space with good exhibits and a tour of Morgan's original library.

Lexma90 Aug 12th, 2013 02:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I visited MOMA on my last visit to NYC (I don't know if my mother has ever been), and was going to skip it this time, but I forgot that it has Impressionists, and Klimt too.

SueNYC Aug 12th, 2013 03:11 PM

Your exact dates might help closer to the time because of Open Artist Studio tours etc. Current exhibits at the Whitney are excellent and Reginald Marsh at the Historical Society is a great Time Capsule.

Enjoy! thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

(My private tours of the Met are geared to little kids)

EmilyPost Aug 12th, 2013 05:43 PM

Your admission to the Met includes admission to the Cloisters, which is well worth the visit. I visit MoMA all the time; the place delights me.