Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York City First Timer (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-first-timer-464434/)

jett Aug 3rd, 2004 09:08 AM

New York City First Timer

Going to New York City this coming weekend and wanted to know what is the best way to get from La Guardia airport to Manhattan. Does the subway go there or I am I better off taking a taxi. I will be staying at the Marriott Financial Center. Also, is the wait to get into the the Empire State Building really as long as some of the posts say it is. Thanks for any advice.

Ryan Aug 3rd, 2004 09:19 AM

Best way is a relative term depending on your view of cost and traffic.

If you're arriving Friday late afternoon or early evening, traffic might be a bit of a problem. Certainly a cab will be the fastest way under normal conditions. But, normal conditions on a Friday are heavy traffic and no easy route from LaGuardia to Downtown.

But, the problem with the subway is that it isn't near LaGuardia and the routes from that part of Queens to the tip of Manhattan are either slow or require a change in trains.

Personally, I'd opt for the cab. But, there are commercial bus services which might provide a better value.

GoTravel Aug 3rd, 2004 09:22 AM

To hop on the subway you would have to take a cab or bus to Ditmar/Astoria stop and pick up the N/R and it goes to Times Square (if you can get the express I think it goes direct).

Least hassle and easiest way is to take a cab.

jett Aug 3rd, 2004 09:25 AM

A cab sounds like the way to go. Any estimate on how much a cab ride is from La Guardia to Manhattan. I am arriving on Saturday morning. Thanks for the help.

mclaurie Aug 3rd, 2004 09:29 AM

Normally the immediate answer on getting to the city from La Guardia is take a cab, especially if you're not looking to save money. A summer Sat. the traffic shouldn't be too bad.

If you are looking to save money, there are shuttle buses but it will take longer and I'm not sure they go all the way downtown.

As to the esb lines, there is a way to buy a ticket ahead of time online to save one line, but you still have to wait in line for the elevator which is evidently the longer wait.

mclaurie Aug 3rd, 2004 09:30 AM

On a Sat. morning, I'd guess a cab to your hotel might be $25 plus toll and tip.

joan Aug 24th, 2004 04:05 AM

Same question Fodorites...we are a group of eight women, all arriving within an hour and a half of each other, on a Thursday morning in November. Going to the Doubletree Times Square. Should we just split up and take cabs? How many ladies with luggage should we assume per cab? Should we look into renting a limo and sharing the cost - perhaps that would be only a little more dough and lots more convenient? Any thoughts (Including limo companies if you recommend it) would be appreciated.

nytraveler Aug 24th, 2004 04:30 AM

The easiest and fastest is to cab it. A cab can hold 4 passengers and assuming a reasonable amount of luggage - it should fit in the trunk. If you all have enormous bags you will get no more than 3 to a cab.

nytraveler Aug 24th, 2004 04:32 AM

Sorry - hit post too soon. A car service is not a great idea in this situation since the charges for waiting time can really run up the price - unless you're all wiiling to stand around in the airport until the last person shows up - and then call for the limo - which could take an hour or more to get there.

joan Aug 24th, 2004 05:17 AM

...so mclaurie's estimate of $25 for the cab would include all three/four occupants? Or do they adjust the price according to number of riders?

As far as the car service, we would be willing to wait for the last person, I thought that you gave the car company your flight info (we'd give them the latest flight) and they met you at that time...? I realize that flight delays would cause a $$ problem, (especially if you don't alert them) but assuming no delays, wouldn't a car service meet you at your flight arrival time, assuming maybe twenty extra minutes for baggage claim?

Anyone have a favorite car service so I can call and check this out? Thanks very much!

lisettemac Aug 24th, 2004 05:26 AM

Joan -- cabs do not charge per person, they charge by the ride. So, the estimate of $25 would be the same for all 4 of you.

You are right that you can give them your flight info and they will meet you. To meet inside by baggage claim(meet and greet) is an extra charge. Otherwise, they will circle the airport (can't wait too long at curbside anymore) and you will try to meet them outside. It can happen easily or it can be a hassle and require you to call the service again.

Carey is a car service we have used before. Tel Aviv is another.

vacationdreamer Aug 24th, 2004 06:20 AM

As far as I know, the car services are usually just Lincoln Towncars or something similar, so you'll still be talking about 2 cars, although with a bit more space. They may have limos, but I would guess that would be a lot more money. I think a cab from LGA all the way to the financial center would be closer to $35, plus toll and tip. That is basically as far from LGA in Manhattan as you can go.

I assume you know the RNC is starting Monday, with delegates and protestors arriving this weekend. For that reason, I would anticapte very little traffic as most everyone else who can is getting out of the city beforehand.

It would be a very long and inconvenient subway ride.

joan Aug 24th, 2004 06:36 AM

Yes I checked with the hotel concierge:

Taxi approx $35 including toll & tip;
Private van (one of those 16 pass vans) is $125 one way, $10 less for return to airport) with meet & greet. As the concierge said, it is a little more to book through the hotel, but they will be waiting with a sign so you won't have to "find" a cab or van. I called several others, Tel Aviv was the cheapest at $70 plus $4 toll plus tip (about $15-20). They give you a number to call, and they said they'd be parked at the airport, meet you within 5 mins of your call (the circling idea I'm sure). So with a choice of a little under $10 pp or a little over $10, I like the idea of all of us riding together. Thanks so much everyone.