Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NEW YORK CITY END SEPTEMBER FAMILY TRIP YOUR HELP WELCOME

Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

We are planning a 10 days trip to New York City next September. We are a couple on the 40's and two boys 12 and 10, we need info on where to stay, and apartment or hotel with kitchennete it will be helpfull, also ideas on activities, where to eat, where to go,Ten thank you, Antonio
Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:14 PM

Many of your questions have been amswered over the past few months. Please check the box above View By State and hit New York. After reading some of the other recommendations, you can provide specific information as to budget, interests, what you want to see, reaturant likes, etc.

It is difficult to provide advice without knowing specifics.
Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:34 PM

Here's a current thread that includes lots of information on housing options that might be of interest to you.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...elp-please.cfm
Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:07 PM

Your best bet is to get a book or two on the city, and have your kids read them too and pick things that sound like fun.

There are so many things to see and do that it takes alot more than 10 days so get a map of the city and pick what you want to see based on location, because you will spend alot of time in transport if things are far apart.

All of the downtown (Wall St) sites are walkable so that would be one "zone". Midtown/Times Square would be another zone and the upper east side (most of the museums) and upper west side (museum of Natural History) would be another.

There are alot of books for tourists and you also might use some of the travel planning sites like www.hotels.com, www.expedia.com, www.hotwire.com and www.travelocity.com for suggestions on hotels.

The Travel Inn on W. 42nd St is family friendly and has a pool so if you are coming in early September that will be a welcome relief from the warm weather we usually get in September.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:06 AM

We went to NYC last year for 4 days as part of a bigger trip with our then 9 and 13 year old sons. We definitely were on a budget. We stayed at a Holiday Inn in Midtown--it was clean and safe but basic. My husband and I had both been there several times on business, but this was a first for our sons. Their favorite attractions were the empire state building (renting the headset for the "tour" is worth it), the American Museaum of Natural History, the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, etc. Outside of the attractions, the things that they loved the most were the quirky local things--we're from the midwest so this was all new to them. We played in Central Park, and visited FAO Schwartz near there. They loved the street performers and the food venders. We took them down to Greenwich Village for dinner one evening--I forgot the corner but a local would know--there are four little sidewalk cafes all across from each other--we could sit outside and have dinner and people watch. They loved the singing waiters in Little Italy, and the shops in China town. We made them the "navigators" for the subway, and they had a great time figuring out how to get from A to B. We travel quite a bit, and believe it or not, NYC was a favorite for both boys.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM

Forgot to add--our hotel was the Holiday Inn Midtown on 57th street. It normally runs about $200/night--not bad for NYC standards. We got a much better deal, but it was through sheer luck. It was in a quiet, safe neighborhood, just a few blocks south of Central Park, and really close to a subway stop. We didn't take a cab the entire time we were there.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:49 AM

Are you planning a Sept 2009 or 2010 trip (unclear to me from OP)? If Sept 2009, you may be a bit late getting hotels. If this trip is a year from now, do some research on this site as suggested and come back with more specific questions.

If this trip is a year out, I would suggest looking at the Radio City apts. Clean, well located and it would fit your lodging needs. They do fill up quickly, so book far ahead. http://www.radiocityapts.com/
Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:59 AM

If your trip is 2010 agre on Radio City Apartments - good location and basic kitchen facilities. If you mean this September - you will need to move quickly to find anything. Check out the affinia group of hotels which has a variety of suite options with kitchenette. Don;t know how you would find an apartment that quickly - and in any case most are illegal - and risky (may not exist at all - or not be as described).
Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:15 AM

The 4 outdoor cafes I was talking about are on the corner of Bleecker and MacDougal--just a few blocks south of Washington Square Park and New York University in the Greenwich Village area. It's a really fun area--I think your kids would enjoy walking around there. Lots of quirky local color...
Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM

I think you and your family are going to have a fabulous trip to NYC! My husband, son, and I went last year at the end of August and stayed at the Milborn Hotel on W. 76th (1/2 block off of Broadway). We got a one bedroom suite that included a very tiny kitchenette (small sink, small refrigerator, and microwave), a living room (pull-out couch, TV, chairs, small table & chairs), 1 bedroom with queen size bed and TV, and 1 bathroom. This place was just perfect for us and was $224/night at that time. From looking at their website, I saw that they also have units that come with 2 beds and I think maybe some 2 bedrooms as well. We loved having the extra space to spread out and also enjoyed being on the Upper West Side. I believe the Milborn also has free breakfasts served in the lobby area Monday-Thursday but since we were there over the weekend, I can't comment on that.

The subway was very close by (several stops in the area), as were grocery stores, drug stores, etc. We used the subway to get everywhere we went. This was our first trip to NYC with our child, so we found the subway easier to use than buses (we had a stroller with us), but we've used buses in the past and always liked that as well.

For some fun things to do, consider the free ride on the Staten Island Ferry (great views of the Statue of Liberty), go to a Yankees game (this is our favorite thing to do!!), Metropolitan Museum of Art, walking through Central Park (do this as many times as you can and see different parts of it on each walk), visit Columbus Circle area, see Times Square, walk acrss the Brooklyn Bridge (free!), go to Brooklyn to eat Grimaldi's Pizza (you can take the subway over and then walk the bridge back to Manhatten), check out other great NYC neighborhoods like Soho, Greenwich Village, Upper East side, etc. NYC is so amazing and fun and there are so many sights to see just be walking around. I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Aug 3rd, 2009, 01:05 PM

Just so all the info is correct, I think Lee4 is talking about the Milburn Hotel http://www.milburnhotel.com/ on 76th street between B'way and West End.
Aug 6th, 2009, 09:41 AM

I suggest the Comfort Inn Midtown on W. 46th. It's in a great location. The half price Broadway ticket booth is very close.
Aug 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM

Are you finding this info helpful, asadian? It's always nice to get feedback!
Aug 7th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi, to everybody, and many thanks to all of you,sorry for the daly on answering, week is busy. Yes this is very helpful for all the family, Maybe I was not very specific about the trip, as we are coming from Uruguay,we wish that the first time for the boys at NYC should be amazing,
I will be checking on the hotels/apartment you recommend me and see where to get the best rate,
I would like to know which is the best area of Manhattan to stay. Walking and subway will be everyday activity,
please keep going with your writing