Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   new york city: drinks after the theatre (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-drinks-after-the-theatre-759771/)

CanadianJane Jan 5th, 2009 05:01 PM

new york city: drinks after the theatre

We are going to a show on Saturday night....will have a late lunch and want to go for a drink and appetizers after the show. My husband and I are taking our 22 year old daughter to the city for her college graduation celebration so we would like somewhere "hip" so she likes it too.

mp Jan 5th, 2009 05:24 PM

As you don't specify a location or budget, I'll assume you mean in the theatre district.

She might like Blue Fin - cool, modern decor, pricy semi-hip drinks. Or DB Bistro moderne - good food, pretty crowd. Morrell's Wine Bar, Orso, Braai (new South African Wine Bar).

use www.menupages.com or www.nymag.com for locations, menus and reviews

mclaurie Jan 5th, 2009 07:06 PM

I really think we need more info about budget, location and kind of food. If you're staying in NYC, where?

djkbooks Jan 5th, 2009 07:36 PM

Our favorite spot for after theater cocktails is Rainbow Grill for the views of Midtown and the Empire State Building (has she seen "Sleepless in Seattle"?), and also Central Park if you wander down the hall in the other direction. Drinks are pricey, but generously poured and worth it for the view. There's an excellent pianist as well.

DalaiLlama Jan 5th, 2009 07:58 PM

Angus (www.angusmcindoe.com/) is always good for that chic-but-casual only-in-New-York experience, and if your daughter is a little starstruck she just may spot a celebrity or two, many theater folks and their guests go there after shows.Next to the St. James where The Producers had its long run.

monet77 Jan 6th, 2009 01:05 AM

djkbooks, I read yesterday that the Rainbow Grill is closing January 12, partly because of the economic downturn but also because of a landlord dispute. The end of an era for many!

nytraveler Jan 6th, 2009 03:39 AM

Agree - heard that Rainbow Grill is closing - and not someplace I would take a 22 year old. It's the antithesis of trendy IMHO.

Aduchamp1 Jan 6th, 2009 04:38 AM

For years the Rainbow Grill has only been serving food on Fridays and Saturdays. I was there once as a party crasher. Bobby Short played the paino and it was the night the Christmas Tree in Rock Center was lit. Most of the world would have loved it, to me it was like being in a 1930's movie and I was Groucho.

emd Jan 6th, 2009 04:58 AM

Where are you staying? I really wish I would have made it to Chris Noth's place, The Cutting Room, while I was in NYC last week. I didn't realize then that it is closing Jan. 13! It is in the flatiron area at W 24th btwn Broadway and 6th. Noth plays Mr Big in Sex in the City. It is a pretty good bet he'd be there Sat. night since the place is getting ready to close, and he apparently hangs out there a lot to listen to the music.

You don't say where you are staying so I can't tell if you are only looking in the theater district or not.

Erica_D Jan 6th, 2009 08:58 AM

Hi CanadianJane,

If you really want to blow away your daughter with somewhere fantastically hip and "in the know", take her to Pegu Club in SoHo, http://www.peguclub.com, which is classic cocktail lounge modeled after a colonial officer's club in Myanmar in the 1800s. Very stylish and filled with great-looking people, but not pretentious. I've taken scores of out-of-towners there, and people are always enchanted by it. Just be sure to make a reservation.

Speakeasy-type establishments are also very hot right now. In the West Village, try Employees Only, http://www.employeesonlynyc.com. The bartenders (or bar chefs as they are sometimes called) are very serious about their craft, and you'll find cocktails with ingredients like lavender-infused gin and muddled cranberries. Reservation required here too. There's not a sign outside (to lend a little secretiveness to the speakeasy concept), so be sure to have the address handy.

Cheers! Erica

j9999 Jan 6th, 2009 11:42 AM

Try Tao on 58th, near Central Park. They have a full-blown restaurant, but you can sit in the bar and have appetizers -- sort of Asian fusion. To get a good look at the restaurant, including the Buddha above the reflecting pool, walk through the restaurant to the rest rooms.

BTW, you must see the men's room and try to figure out where the urinal is. Yes, ladies must see it, too.

CanadianJane Jan 7th, 2009 03:13 PM

Thank you for all your replies. We travel to NYC often so are aware of the costs. This is a special trip to celebrate completion of college with honours. The Rainbow Room sounds fun since Sleepless in Seattle is a favourite movie. I will check out the other options. We were looking for either a good view of the city or a fun view of the crowds. Interesting drinks are also on the list...she is partial to martinis!

mclaurie Jan 8th, 2009 01:30 PM

How about Spice Market in the meatpacking district for some ginger martinis?

cindymal Jan 13th, 2009 10:36 PM

Take her to the Time Warner building.Great views and it gets a cool young crowd.The restaurants are on the 4th floor
Two places come to mind.
Stone Rose and there is a cool wine bar on the 4th floor where you can taste many wines.
Another spot is in the Mandarin next door-cool bar and it also has great views
Another very cool spot is the bar at The Gramacy Park Hotel-check the hours that they are open though,very attractive crowd in the evening.

janiekins Jan 14th, 2009 08:00 AM

The Gramery Park Hotel has two very funky bars - the Rose Bar and the Jade Bar.

I had drinks at the Jade Bar in September - very cool!

Gekko Jan 14th, 2009 09:58 AM

Go to the rooftop bar at the <b>Dream Hotel</b>. It's convenient to the theater district and will have the hipness quotient you're seeking.

www.dreamny.com

Gekko Jan 14th, 2009 09:59 AM

My 2nd choice for you would be Stone Rose at the Time Warner Center.

Dream Hotel has a better view.