New York City Bakery recommendation needed

Mar 26th, 2010, 03:53 PM
kp
Original Poster

New York City Bakery recommendation needed

DD is graduating from NYU in May and I thought it would be fun to have cookies or cupcakes delivered to her office. Many of the bakeries have great looking web-sites and I've heard of some of them by watching the food network. BUT—there's nothing like getting the advice and experience from others. The bakery would need to deliver; her office is near Carnegie Hall.

We live in the Mid-West and we won't be visiting NY until later in the summer.

Thanks for the suggestions
Mar 26th, 2010, 04:08 PM

We've gotten cakes from the Cupcake Cafe since our kids were small. We've used them for both our kids Christenings, multiple birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

Not always cheap, but their flower cakes look beautiful and they taste really good. I checked their site, they deliver. Obviously, they are also known for their cupcakes.

http://www.cupcakecafe-nyc.com/
Mar 26th, 2010, 05:02 PM

I love the Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery
http://www.sugarsweetsunshine.com/ Their Sunshine cake or cupcakes is to die for.
Mar 26th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Crumbs, Sunshine for cupcakes

You will have trouble with delivery, since most bakeries on the following list do not deliver as far as I know. You should ask one of her better friends to buy something and bring it up. The exception I know are Veniero's.

Although I write of bread these also have cakes and pies.

Bakeries
Amy’s Bread
Various Locations
The breads are well prepared and my favorite is the black sesame. I have never seen the same kid behind the counter twice, thus the staff is not knowledgeable and some seem confused by an order.

*Balthazar
80 Spring Street
I guess they could have made the space smaller, but then only your hand would fit through the door. Unlike the restaurant, the bakery deserves the praise for their baguettes and croissants.

Birdbath
223 First Avenue
Yes, it is a stupid name and the place has all the charm of a company store at a gulag but it is a sister to City Bakery. They make fabulous almost everything including a pretzel croissant. They only offer about 10% of what can be had at the City Bakery and there is no place to sit and eat. Stay away from a new creation a vegan banana sesame thing with agave. Besides having no taste, it dryly crumbs in your mouth. A rare mistake for Maury Rubin. The staff here and at City Bakery has not been told that space program was discontinued.

Blackhound
170 Second Ave
Very expensive but good as a dessert gift. The cookies are delicious and everything looks tempting some things are not as good as they look.

*Bouley Bakery
130 W. Broadway
Every time I go there I try something different. My current favorite is the saffron bread. It is so delicate you can taste the saffron. Everything is outrageously expensive you can either pay your student loan or buy a slice of cake.

*Clinton Street Bakery
4 Clinton Street
Not only is this bakery but a great place for brunch which is impossible to enter on weekends. They may make the best biscuits in town followed closely by their scones.

*City Bakery
3 West 18th Street
Try the hot chocolate melted from chocolate bars or the pretzel croissants or the baker’s muffins or anything laid out on the counter. Extremely crowded at breakfast and lunch. Celebrities have been spotted but unless they are disguised as spoon I have not seen any.

DeRobertis (Established 1904)
176 First Avenue
It has the original tin ceiling and tiled walls and floors. Be selective in what you order, order nothing chocolate but the lobster tails, cannoli, and pignoli cookies are good and they are known for their lemon and orange things. (I am sure it has a real name) They hollow out the fruit, then fill it with a sorbet and freeze the whole thing including a peel lid.

*Donut Plant
379 Grand Street
I do not know what they do but the donuts taste so much better than just about any other place. He also makes excellent churros. The valrhona chocolate is a monument to gluttony. Small storefront with bakery in back.

Eileen’s Cheesecake
17 Cleveland Place
That’s all she makes so she better make them well. Not the best but very good.

*Falai Paneterria
79 Clinton Street
Former pastry chef turns out the most delectable and eclectic breads such as pumpkin or fennel. The croissants are excellent. I guess his mother told him not to waste his education so he also makes fabulous pastries. Never leave without a bombolini, an Italian donut/fritter filled with either jelly or crème.

Fat Witch Brownies
Chelsea Market
They make the fudgy type and they have a few variations. Staff is pleasant but sloooow. They have tourist buses that stop at Chelsea Market, so the lines may be long at times.

*Financier
Various locations
In the food wasteland that is Wall Street, Financier knows how to make cakes and croissants. They are often crowded but the staff doesn’t know ganache or panache.

Junior’s
Various locations
Stick to the cheesecake and the rolls.

*La Bergamonte
169 Ninth Avenue
For many years this was in the middle of food nowhere. Now with the Chelsea Market and the fattening of the Meatpacking district is getting its due. Extremely fine croissants and pastries and a place to sit

Le Pain Quotidien
Various locations
A chain from Belgian which makes it Belch. The baguettes are wonderful as are the brownies and raisin whole grain bread. This is probably the best food of any chain. The staff however, is laconic and unknowledgeable and very often there are out of many of the popular items. Nice brunches.

*Little Pie Company
Various locations
Their sour cream apple walnut pie is akin to crack cocaine but only a little cheaper. The other pies are good but not in the same category. People start lining up for Thanksgiving on 4th of July, so order in advance.

Patisserie Claude
187 West Fourth Street
Patisserie Claude has been selling pastries to Pig Warren for a long time. We do not go often by when we do we are rewarded.

*S & S Cheesecake
222 W 238 St, Bronx
Could be the best cheesecake in the city, creamy but not dense, perfect,

Steve’s Authentic Key Lime Pies
204-207 Van Dyke Street, Red Hook
This is place is hard to find when you are standing in front it. Fortunately the silky pies can be found at Citarella and other self-defined fine stores.

*Veniero’s
342 East 11th Street
Established in 1894 some of those people are still waiting on line. I love this place, the best inexpensive tiramisu, addictive ricotta cheesecake, moist pignoli cookies, there are scores of offerings and no losers. The take out staff is never the same and the lines are long for the café. For Thanksgiving and Christmas, the café is turned to a waiting room for take out. They use an old fashioned machine to wrap the string around the box, while quaint, adds to the interminable line. You can also call in an order.

Levain Bakery
167 W 74
Fabulous, fabulous cookies. Many consider it the best in the City.
Mar 26th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Buttercup Bake Shop has great cupcakes, and they deliver!
http://buttercupbakeshop.com/

Congratulations to your DD. What degree is she getting?
Mar 26th, 2010, 11:51 PM

I second Buttercup! The Red Velvet cupcakes are to die for! Fat Witch Bakery for the extra scrumptious brownies. I still have a secret stash in the freezer, but don't tell my family!
Mar 27th, 2010, 04:37 AM

Levain cookies are divine. They will deliver by messenger in Manhattan. http://store.itsallaboutthecookie.com/

Two Little Red Hens has wonderful cupcakes & cakes. Not sure if they deliver. http://www.twolittleredhens.com/

Cupcake Cafe makes gorgeous looking cakes, but I don't find them to be that tasty.
Mar 27th, 2010, 05:58 AM
kp
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. DD is getting her MBA -- focus on global marketing. She currently is working full-time (new business development & marketing). Her employer and co-workers deserve a thank you for all they've done to make this possible.
Apr 25th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Babycakes is a vegan, allergen-free bakery on the Lower East Side. Whether you are vegan or not, the high quality of their ingredients makes for incredible desserts! They are a single-location bakery run with a lot of heart - I highly recommend them!
Check out their website - www.babycakesnyc.com
Apr 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM

(P.S. According to their cookbook, devoted fans of Babycakes include Madonna, Alicia Silverstone, Pamela Anderson, Jason Schwartzman, Natalie Portman, and Zoey Deschanel.)
May 3rd, 2010, 02:57 PM

I also just discovered Butter Lane Cupcakes, on 7th Street in the East Village. What's unique about them is that they have three cupcake "bases" (vanilla, chocolate... and one other) and about 20 different frosting for you to choose from. More like an ice-cream bar concept. Delicious, too.
May 6th, 2010, 01:15 PM
kp
Original Poster

There is a Crumbs Bakery less than a mile from her office and her DH said that she enjoys their cupcakes. I ordered 2 dzn to be delivered next week. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
May 6th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Although the Cupcake Cafe is famous--the two times that I went--although their products look pretty--they were downright stale!!! Crumbs is a pretty 'normal' bakery.

You can't go wrong with the City Bakery--their baker is famous. Magnolia Bakery has absolutely yummy stuff. You haven't said what you want to spend--that could be a big thing in NYC
May 6th, 2010, 02:36 PM
kp
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. As noted above I just placed the order. It was just under $87 for 3" cupcakes; delivered. Wish I could be there to taste 1 or 2.

Search this Thread