New York City apartment, 4 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the city very well. My wife and I are celebrating our 25th. We spent the beginning of our honeymoon in NYC (Cats had just opened! and saw that).. Now 3 kids later 15,18,21, who all love NYC plus grandparents (who paid for the wedding)are coming to the city to celebrate, Jan 3rd to 7th. Would love to get a 2 bedroom? Any thoughts.

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Check on www.vrbo.com.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Are you trying to put 7 people in a 2 bedroom apartment? If so - I think you'll have difficulties. Unlike some hotels which have 2 double beds in each bedroom, most apartments have 1 double or queen bed per bedroom - with perhaps a pull out sofa in the LR.

There are VERY few places in NYC that can accommodate 7 adults in one room/apartment. And many apartments want to rent by the week only.

I would look at some of the all suite hotels for a better chance at something suitable. Jan is low season and you should be able to get very good rates. Why not try (for VERY basic) RAdio City Apartments of (moderate) affinia.com. (Even if the web sites won't let you search for 7 a phone call will tell you what they have - perhaps 2 adjoining suites.)

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:52 AM

nytraveler-I didn't do the count to see that there are 7 people for two bedrooms. You are absolutely right. Did a quick check on vrbo. There are a couple that would sleep 7 but two of them are in Queens. Another was closer to Columbia University which might not be a neighborhood the OP would want. And I didn't see any that would let you stay for less than 4 nights. So check out the suite hotels as nytraveler suggests.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
GoTravel

Check out The Salisbury Hotel and some of the Affinia properties. They are hotels that have two bedroom apartments.

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:13 AM

7 people staying together in 1 suite or apt. is too many even if you get 2 bedroom/ bathrooms. You need at least 3 bathrooms and you won't likely find that in 1 suite. 4 nights is too few to deal with the uncertainties of an apartment rental. There are too many scams going on. Don't get "taken."

Go for a hotel, whether it's a suite hotel or not. You will also likely find getting more small rooms/suites may be cheaper than 1 or 2 bigger suites. Your dates should be relatively inexpensive.

Are you looking for a nice hotel or cheap and cheerful?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the quick replies. First of all, I am not looking for a one bedroom for 7. I realize that I need a 2-3 bedroom. Certainly an unusual property, but considering the time, just after Jan 1st, slow, there might be something out there.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:07 PM

I think everyone has answered your question. A hotel suite with 2 bedrooms would probably fit your needs better. If it was my family, I would get a two bedroom suite with a bedroom for the parents and a bedroom and fold-out couch for the kids. Then the grandparents could have their own room. Check out vrbo for aparments but I don't think you will find anything that suits your needs. And as McLaurie says, you always need to be careful about aparment rentals.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:15 PM

My point was 2 bathrooms for 7 people doesn't work. 3 bedroom/3bath accomodations are RARE and very expensive. I know of a 3 bed/3bath apt. but it rents for a min. of a week at

One nice idea (you still haven't told us your budget) might be to all stay in the same inn/b & b.

1871house.com
wymanhouse.com

or, more budget minded

http://www.thegracieinn.com/
jacksbandb.com
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:35 PM
dmlove

My point was 2 bathrooms for 7 people doesn't work.

Why not? When my kids were younger, we often shared one hotel room with one bathroom for 4, so why not 2 bathrooms for 7?

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Sounds like it will be a wonderful trip!

I just did a quick hotel check - the Embassy Suites has a good rate of $220 a night for a double double suite, and $189 for a king suite with a sofa bed in the living room. I feel like having all that space would be great, and it would be about $410 a night (plus tax) and they offer free breakfast. My family does not do so well in one space for more than about 36 hours, and we would love to have multiple TVs and be able to spread out
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM

extremely doubtful you'll find an apartment for 7 people that will sign a lease for 4 nights ....
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 01:32 PM

:When my kids were younger...". These are not KIDS, dmlove. 18 & 21 yr olds are adults.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM

HOw about two rooms at the Double Tree in Times Square? You could geet bedrooms with two beds and living area a pull out sofa. Also safe for the kids to venture out on their own with plenty to do in TS.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 01:49 PM
dmlove

McLaurie, I should have added that the house I grew up in had one bathroom, too. We still laugh that the day I got married, SIX of us got ready using that one bathroom. I just don't see how two bathrooms isn't enough for 7 people, adults or otherwise.

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM

I think there is some confusion here. A double/double room means 2 double beds - that is it will sleep 4 people - 2 in each bed.

For 7 people you will need TWO double double rooms. That's why I suggested affinia - which has a variety of options, along with kitchenettes in many - for snacks and drinks without bothering room service.

And although it is certainly possible for 7 people to share one bathroom - why would anyone choose to spend their vacation that way - rather than with more comfortable arrangements that would result in much less lost time. Unless you all shower together?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
dmlove

nytraveler, you misread I believe. McLaurie was suggesting (and I was questioning why) that TWO bathrooms aren't enough for 7 people. Nobody was suggesting one was enough.

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 06:20 AM
GoTravel

I'll try this again.

The Salisbury Hotel has two bedroom apartments with two bathrooms. They rent out nightly.

Several of the Affinia Properties (The Surrey, The Shelburne Murray Hill are two that come to mind) have two bedroom apartments with two bathrooms that also rent out nightly.

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

thanks again everyone for your replies... A few additional thoughts, if it wasn't my 25th Anniversery, and I am much better off financially now... I am looking for something VERY special.... Suite at the Waldorf, Yale Club, know someone who knows someone who may be in the Bahamas and has their Upper east side duplex to lease out......etc. etc... If it wasn't a special trip, I'd be at my all time fave..Hotel Olcott, next to the Dakota, 2 bedroom suite, under $200, pre war, a real dump, but great price and location..needless to say my wife hated it.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:43 AM
dmlove

FWIW, I wouldn't put the Yale Club (or any of the other college clubs) in the same category as a suite at the Waldorf or an upper east side duplex!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -