Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York City - (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-933097/)

silverflamein Apr 27th, 2012 02:49 PM

New York City -

Hi All,

I'm finally going to my most favorite city in the world - NYC.....I've been in love with for over a decade now..but had only dream of going to it..since i was in India then and now i've moved to Dallas...
I'll be reaching NYC on the May 17th and staying untill May 20th. My flight reaches LGA at around 3:00 pm and then I need to reach my Hotel in Jersey City..Ramada...I was thinking of taking a PATH / TAXI ?? I choose a place in Jersey city as I wasn't getting anything cheaper than 200$. I'm not going to be spending so much time at the hotel...but still needed a decent place which i think the Ramada is ..pls let me know if you have any other suggestions...
I would love to see the NYC and Jersey City too *now since i'm staying there....Also the SoL, ESB, 9/11 memorial, TS, Central park, Staten island ferry and pls suggest if there's any thing more and how to go about them...
I was thinking of taking the NYC pass but i don't know if that is a good idea ??
I'm not that interested in doing museums or galleries....
I will be having a friend along with me who is traveling from India...And hence our flights have been booked from JFK on return..I have booked 2 nights at Double Tree, JC as i was not getting bookings at Ramada for the weekend. what is the convenient mode of travel from Double tree to JFK ??
Anyways i hope you can guide me around..waiting to hear from ya'll...
xoxoxo

Austin Apr 27th, 2012 04:21 PM

If you only have 3 days then by all means stay in NYC and don't stay in NJ. You will be so glad you did! The time you will save will be precious, and you can stop at your hotel mid-day and freshen up.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, it's X 3 nights and I'm sure you will not regret it. Can u afford an extra $150 or $300 total for 3 days?

Aduchamp1 Apr 27th, 2012 04:27 PM

Just the trip from LGA to Jersey City should take a while. Couldn't you have flown into Newark?

nytraveler Apr 27th, 2012 04:35 PM

Please search and find a place in Manhattan. Jersey City is NOT the same - and you will waste a lot of time getting back and forth.

In terms of getting to JFK - have no idea what Doubletree you are talking about. I hope it's not near the airport -which is an extremely inconvenient location and not near anyplcae you want to be.

Assuming you and your friend can share one double bed you should be able to find someplace decent on Priceline for $200 per night.

You can;t visit Statue of Liberty - it is closed for renovations. You can see it from a distance for free from the Staten Island ferry - or a little closer on the 2 hour Circle Line harbor cruise.

Do not go to the ESB - the lines are often hours long. Instead do Top of the rock - which allows prepurchse of timed tickets - or rarely has a line of more than a few minutes. Much better view IMHO.

The various city passes - except for the subway - are not a good idea - it is practically impossible to go to enough places to make them pay for themselves. Also avoid the HoHo bus - very expensive and leaves you spending most of the time sitting in traffice - versus actually seeing/doing anything.

doug_stallings Apr 27th, 2012 07:25 PM

You can almost certainly find a hotel in Long Island City Queens for less than $200. Either way, the trip to Jersey City is long and expensive from LGA. Definitely find a better hotel. You will regret staying in NJ.

ellenem Apr 28th, 2012 05:29 AM

It will take about 2 hours for you to travel from LaGuardia Airport to the Ramada Jersey City by public transportation, and will involve the Q33 bus, the F train, the PATH train, and a .3 mile walk to the hotel. A taxi might be slightly faster, but would probably cost close to $100.

I'm also wondering which Doubletree. . . if it is the one in Jersey City, then again you should allow almost two hours to reach JFK Airport by public transportation. The trip will involve the PATH train, the A train, the AirTrain, and about .5 mile walk (different sections of walking totaling .5 mile). A taxi would be similarly expensive to the trip from LGA.

silverflamein Apr 28th, 2012 12:34 PM

Hi everyone...
Thanks for your responses...Now i am really thinking of changing my hotel to something in NY...I can stretch my budget to about 300 per night as the taxes in NY are also something that i need to consider also i am checking places that include breakfast in that price.... I checked booking.com and found "Stay" and "Park Central" for around 1000$ -3 nights..are they good ???..I'm okay with service apts also...any recommendations!!

musicfan Apr 28th, 2012 02:33 PM

Can you and your traveling companion share a bed? Try Priceline. Do some research first on biddingfortravel.com and/or betterbidding.com. You could also try Hotwire- Agree that you should stay in Manhattan and not Jersey.

ellenem Apr 28th, 2012 03:21 PM

Hotels.com is showing a few different rooms at the Comfort Inn Long Island City for your dates for less than $200 per night. Yes, this is in Queens, but it is one block from a subway station that is one stop from midtown Manhattan, PLUS much easier/cheaper to reach both your airports.

silverflamein Apr 28th, 2012 03:48 PM

Yes we are sharing the bed...so it will be jst one room..

nytraveler Apr 28th, 2012 04:21 PM

Yes, but WHERE will the room be. Jersey is a trek (2 hours anyway) from both LGA and to JFK.

Please rethink this and stay someplace much more convenient.

Austin Apr 28th, 2012 04:57 PM

Silver has decided to stay in NY.

Do you know how to use priceline? If not, Ellenem may have a great compromise.

Bowsprit Apr 28th, 2012 05:06 PM

Does anyone know why rooms are so expensive in Manhattan that weekend? Rates are really high. Even the secret sale hotels on quikbook are over $300.00 a night. LIC may be the best bet for this stay.

ellenem Apr 28th, 2012 05:20 PM

College graduations?

Bowsprit Apr 28th, 2012 05:27 PM

Of course you're right.

Austin Apr 28th, 2012 06:26 PM

I'm going to be there around that time as well may 20 -23. I reserved my room more than a month ago. (Marriott soho). I stayed there in Jan for $190 and it's $349 in May. Ouch. Luckily, one night is using points. Going for DD graduation... Which reminds me, need to make reservations for dinner?...

Aduchamp1 Apr 28th, 2012 08:25 PM

Does anyone know why rooms are so expensive in Manhattan that weekend?

Last year there were 50 million visitors to NYC for a variety of reasons. That also might be the begining of Fleet Week and an early start on Memorial Day Weekend and the 231st weekly annual Third Avenue Zeppole and Tube Sock Street Fair.

I was going to rent a car for May 25 and they wanted $166 when I usual get a special corporate rate $53.

Aduchamp1 Apr 28th, 2012 08:31 PM

According to Mayor Bloomberg and as reported by USA Today there were 90,000 hotel rooms in NYC at the end of 2011. And if you read these boards 85,000 are in Times Square and none less tha $250 a night.

Bowsprit Apr 29th, 2012 04:29 AM

Austin: I would definitely make dinner reservations.

silverflamein Apr 29th, 2012 01:02 PM

Nytraveler:I worked out some numbers here.. Even though the trek from Airport to Ramada/Double tree to Airport is expensive...its still cheaper than staying in Manhattan as even the smallest hotel is 300$ per nite excluding the taxes.My total exp staying in jersey city would be around 700 inclusive taxes..i'll be staying close to the Journal Square and Newport PATH stations which directly connect me to Manhattan 33rd street and I can spend more on other things than the hotel..
Austin: I'm ready to my stay to Manhattan bt there is no hotel cheaper than 300$ per nite...(Excl taxes) which really is making my trip very expensive..I'm not sure if i know how to use Priceline at the very best ..pls guide me...if i can find a deal for around 250+taxes I'd be really happy...