Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-794567/)

jene1 Jul 9th, 2009 05:11 AM

New York City

My girlfriend and I will be taking two 16-year teenagers to New York City (for the FIRST TIME) on August 16 (we arrive at 2pm) departing on Thursday at 4pm. Can someone please advise us what are the must do/must see, nice affordable restaurants and also nice shopping--ideally armani, gucci/ abercrombie for the girls outlet would be great.

ellenem Jul 9th, 2009 05:33 AM

August 16 is a Sunday, so the OP has 3 full days with a half day at each end.

Give us a price for what you consider affordable. (Armani and Gucci?)

Also give us an idea of your interests. Your "must-see" may not be mine.

HowardR Jul 9th, 2009 05:42 AM

We'll need a lot more input from you. Asking, "Can someone please advise us what are the must do/must see, nice affordable restaurants and also nice shopping" in New York is like saying, "I like food. What should I eat?"
Also, I'd suggest you do a little research, like perhaps reading a guidebook or two.

Cries_Van_Notebook Jul 9th, 2009 06:12 AM

Manhattan is a HUGE place. There are thousands of restaurants and shops in the city.

Where are you staying?

What is your budget?

What are your interests?

Really, sweetie, get a clue and give us some details if you want help.

PS
If you want designer outlets, you have to go to a place like Woodbury Commons--one hour drive from NYC.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=7

Thin

missypie Jul 9th, 2009 06:22 AM

I'll bite, because I just got back from taking my 16 and 13 year olds shopping in NY. Their favorite places were the tiny boutiques in Nolita. Some are very pricey, others are not, but the clothes are more unique than what you'd find at stores like Abercrombie. You could start out in SoHo shopping at the larger stores like H&M and Top Shop, then walk a few blocks over to Nolita.

jene1 Jul 9th, 2009 07:03 AM

Oouch---sorry that i had not been more clear--Sorri...
Hotel--Holiday Inn Soho-I pay an employee rate. So if you are going and need an employee rate, let me know.
Budget-Lunch $20/dinner $35-40 per person
Shopping--checked with website on woodbury common and it seems it's far away and we don't intend to rent a car. SoHo shopping(and our hotel is in SoHo--how cool is that)and Nolita sounded like a cool place for the girls-thanks missypie!
Interest--Theatre i.e. jerseyboys,World trade centre, status of liberty/trump tower/art gallery etc
I'm from Toronto and if i buy a Gucci scarf here it costs $500 + 13% tax, if I could get it for 50% off like $250--to me that's a great price. An armani suit costs $1500 here,and i was told it's 'cheaper' in NYC coz your consumer broadbase is alot wider--do i make sense? thanks for all your help:)

missypie Jul 9th, 2009 07:15 AM

For theatre tickets, get thee promptly to broadwaybox.com. They tell you all the current discount codes. Lots of the "always sold out shows" really aren't this year. I can almost guarantee that the girls (and you) would LOVE In the Heights. I was able to get fabulous seats for $57.50 each on Broadwaybox.com.
Last week we saw Wicked, Billy Elliot, South Pacific, Lion King, In the Heights and Phantom of the Opera and my teen girls loved every one of them. (But In the Heights has the hightest "teen cool" factor.)

missypie Jul 9th, 2009 07:20 AM

One more thing - get up early one weekday morning and go to Century 21. It opens at 7:45 on weekdays and you want to get there early because it gets crowded later on. They have lost of discount designer clothes and accesories - it's a huge store and you never know what you're going to find. Right now I'm wearing a fabulous $150 belt that I got for $50 there.

As it happens, Century 21 is right across the street from the WTC site.

LoriNY1 Jul 9th, 2009 08:33 AM

if you really want to go to the woodbury outlets, there are bus excursions from NY. check the website, but it will most likely be a full day affair. lots of sales right now in all the stores since they are getting rid of summer things. I second Century 21.

Aduchamp1 Jul 9th, 2009 08:44 AM

If I may be perfectly blunt. To come to NYC for the first time and go to Woodbury would be a waste of a good visit.

Shopping in NYC is vastly different than the suburban mall model. There are many bargains to be had and unique stores to visit.

jene1 Jul 9th, 2009 09:09 AM

VOW--VOW--now I can't wait to go! Am going to book the theatres proposed by missypie after this and Century21 is a real estate co. in TOR-LOL-can't imagine it being a department store. Will skip woodbury mall as it's a day trip so will stick with the city--hope we can find nice on sale stuff. Thanks muchly you all--that's a great help as i'm now armed with information from people who have been there and done that. appreciate that muchly:)

Cries_Van_Notebook Jul 9th, 2009 09:40 AM

Restaurants in Soho that I recommend include:

Aqua Grill
Balthazar
Mercer Kitchen

Stores in Soho that teens may like:

Pearl River Mart on Broadway
Mavi Jeans on Broadway
Kate's Paperie on Spring St (near Balthazar)
Anthropologie on West Broadway
Bloomingdale's on Broadway

In the summer months there are all kinds of vendors selling jewellery all over Soho. There are several near the entrance to Balthazar.

Century 21 is very hit and miss. I wouldn't trek all the way down there--unless you specifically wanted to see WTC site--if you only have such a short time in the city.

Shopping is fun, but if I were coming to NYC, I certainly wouldn't spend all my time hunting down a Gucci scarf.

Don't your girls want to see the MoMA or Museum of Natural History? Central Park?

Thin

SueNYC Jul 9th, 2009 09:54 AM

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has an amazing fashion exhibit - The Model as Muse that they would enjoy

missypie Jul 9th, 2009 10:28 AM

I'll have to disagree with Cries about Century 21. First, it opens at 7:45 in the morning...you could shop there for two hours and still be out before the other stores open at 10 am. It doesn't really take time from your day because nothing else is open then anyway.

Second, it's not really "all the way down there" from SoHo - it's 4 subway stops on the Yellow line. (The Cortland stop which is just right there is closed for rennovation [Did it ever open after 9-11?] If you get off at the Rector stop, keep the church on your right and it's 3-4 blocks away.)

missypie Jul 9th, 2009 10:40 AM

Here's a perfect day: Take the subway to Century 21 and be there by 8 am. Shop. Look at the WTC site while you're there. Take purchases back to hotel in SoHo. Shop SoHo, eat lunch, shop more, shop Nolita. Back to the hotel by 5 pm for rest and to get ready. See In the Heights (on 46th street - should be a 7 pm curtain) then walk two short blocks over to Johns Pizzaria on 44th street for a late dinner. You can do cultural stuff on other days, but the 16 year olds will think this is the perfect day.

BTW, the Broadway shows (except for Phantom) are dark on Monday nights, so Monday would be your night to do something else.

Aduchamp1 Jul 9th, 2009 10:52 AM

Depending on their interests both in Soho

KidRobot
http://www.yelp.com/biz/kidrobot-new-york-4

Maxilla & Mandible
http://maxillaandmandible.com/body.htm

missypie Jul 9th, 2009 11:00 AM

My girls loved Desigual.
http://nymag.com/listings/stores/desigual/
I loved it, too, but the clothes were a bit young for me. It was their favorite store on Broadway (in SoHo) but I only let them buy one thing each because it was pricey...but such fun clothes!!!

maryanntex Jul 9th, 2009 12:14 PM

Check out www.dailycandy.com Go to the New York City edition and click on "fashion." All the sample sales are listed.

maryanntex Jul 9th, 2009 12:15 PM

I second the recommendation of "The Model as Muse" at the Met. It is wonderful.

jroth Jul 9th, 2009 12:29 PM

You can spend a nice morning at the Metropolitan Museum (opens at 9:30 - closed Mondays) - see the Costume Institute Show, the Francis Bacon show, the great Egyptian collection, and don't miss the new Engelhard Court in the Americn Wing - and check if there is a Highlights tour that morning (ask at front desk) - no extra charge. For lunch: take the 79 St. bus on the corner of Fifth Ave and get off at 3rd Avenue. Walk north into the 80's and you'll pass all sorts of restaurants for lunch with reasonable prices and outdoor tables. Or - take the 79 St. bus westbound and get off at Columbus or Amsterdam Avenues - again lots of selection of restaurants - - and unlike those restaurants that cater to mainly tourists in Times Square area - customers they'll never see again -- these restaurants cater to locals so they have to be good to survive.