Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-city-734709/)

Cica Sep 6th, 2007 08:10 PM

New York City

I'm planning a one week trip to New York City with my two sisters. The trip is mainly to do shopping but we may do some sightseeing. However, don't know when would be the best time to go. Also, we're looking for a hotel that is close by to shopping malls, outlets, restaurants. Any recommendation to which hotel , what time of the year and any sightseeing that's worth going?

Thanks,

abram Sep 6th, 2007 10:04 PM

Any sightseeing that's worth going? In NYC? There are more places to see than you could do in a week. It's very hard to make recommendations without having some sense of your interests: art, theater, museums, outdoor activities, history, TV shows, monuments, tours, neighborhoods, etc, etc.

I'd recommend reading about NYC in the destinations section of this website to start to figure out what appeals to you.

Aduchamp1 Sep 6th, 2007 10:53 PM

There are no malls in Manhattan. Well there is actually one but the stores keep on changing and it has never really caught on.

There are over 25,000 restaurants in NYC and as far as sightseeing, I suggest you get a guidebook and decide what would you like. We have little things like Metropolitan Museum, Museum of Modern Art, Statue of Liberty, UN, Empire State Building, West Village, East Village, Stock Exchange, Revolutionary era churches and buildings, and Central Park.

If you are seeking chain store shopping and eating, you may consider going somewhere else.

ellenem Sep 7th, 2007 06:55 AM

From October through December you will find the highest hotel prices and midtown Manhattan packed with visitors.

jodeenyc Sep 7th, 2007 06:57 AM

"If you are seeking chain store shopping and eating, you may consider going somewhere else."

-Not anymore, they're pretty much all here. Agreed not in a neat little compact mall, but practically all the standard stores have posts in NYC.

If you are shopping you probably know to take a day trip up to Woodbury Commons. If you are renting a car to do so, I suggest you stop on the way at the Garden State Mall which is one of the biggest in the country if you want that chain store, mall fix.

If this is a shopping trip exclusively, I'd go right after the New Year. Sales and the hotels will be cheaper.

nytraveler Sep 7th, 2007 09:36 AM

NYC doesn't have malls - just stores - blocks and blocks of stores in all different neighborhoods - depending on your style, taste and budget. There are also several very large department stores - ranging from Macy's (the largest store in the world - moderate prices), Bloomies and Lord & Taylor - mid to a little more upscale - and several upscale places.

There are a few discounters in the city (Century 21, Filene's Basement) - but for a good selection you need to go to Woodbury Common for the day - by car or bus about 1.5 hours.

Agree if it's primarily shopping come in Jan - lots of sales and hotels are cheap. But- you need to tell us what you want to pay - or what you expect in a hotel (budget chain or moderate or upscale).

ANY SIGHTSEEING WORTH GOING TO? In NYC? Versus shopping? I guess it depends on where your interests lie.

Aduchamp1 Sep 7th, 2007 10:54 AM

I noticed Fifth Avenue between 22 and 15 is now filled with brand name stores. But I haven't seen a Sunglass Mutt.

We live on the Lower East Side, and there is a clear pejudice against chain stores. There was a Limited or Gap on the corner St. marks and 2nd and it closed.

Even though the number of chains are growing, If you are looking for mall stores Manhattan is not the place. There are so many stores that are unqiue. That you cannot even entertain the notion.