Notices

New York City

Old Nov 29th, 2015, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York City

I am planning a trip from Asheville, NC to Bar Harbor, ME in July. One of the stops on the way I would like to make is Manhattan, probably just one day. Any advice on staying in or outside city overnight? We will have our own car - mom and three kids (6, 14, & 16) - dad is a maybe at this point. I am flexible on scheduling, so could stay extra day if recommended. Thanks for all the help!
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 05:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
To avoid a rather expensive suite in NY, how about staying in Trenton NJ? Ride New Jersey Transit or Amtrak into Penn Station early in the morning. From Penn Station you can ride the subway to whatever part of the city you want to see.
Are you intending on seeing any other cities such as Washington or Philadelphia?
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

The trip is tentatively scheduled for Asheville to Ashburn, VA (family), to NYC. Then on to Cape Cod and Boston, then to Bar Harbor.
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 08:43 AM

Sorry but staying in Trenton is a terrible idea - too far from the city to go to and fro, esp in one day.

If it were me I would stay in the city 2 nights - so you get one full day and possible parts of two others. Look at the Travel Inn on the far west side, which has free -or maybe no cheap - parking on site and is right near the west side highway - so easy access in and out of the city.

If you prefer not to do that then I would stay at a hotel in Jersey city that has immediate access to the city via PATH - cheap and fast - and park the car at the hotel.

This may not be any cheaper than Manhattan but but means you won't have to cross the Hudson twice here - but you will have to cross it farther upstate - perhaps the Tappen Zee - depending on the status of construction. If you must take the George do NOT take the cross Bronx but head immediately north on the parkways and take the Cross Westchester to the Hutch/Merritt. This will allow you to avoid the worst of the Bronx and I95 through westchester and southern CT (which is a horror show of heavy truck traffic).

As for what to see/do in the city ask your kids each to choose one of the major sights from guide books or tout brochures. I would vote for:

Museum of Natural History
Central Park zoo
Staten Island ferry
Top of the Rock
A brief walk through Times Square after dark
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks nytraveler, the hotel looks nice, affordable, and close to lots of stuff. I need to firm up dates and start making reservations.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 04:50 AM

If you want to share more about your budget - and the interest range of your family (6 and 14/16 year olds are going to be tough to find activities that will keep whining and ye rolling to a minimum), I am glad to try to chime in here
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 06:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"how about staying in Trenton NJ?"

Worst advice ever, no matter how much you like trains!
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 06:16 AM

I take the train to NYC for the day almost every week. I live about 20 minutes from the Trenton station. My husband forbids me to park and ride from downtown Trenton, so I usually drive further to Hamilton to get the train. Stay in Trenton? Worst dea ever, in my humble opinion.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 08:23 AM

Trenton is bad enough as a commute (and presumable because one wants to live in the area far from the city). For tourists it's just ridiculous - takes forever, is expensive and trains are often mobbed.

Tom recos train fro every trip ever posted - no matter how little sense it makes.