Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York - Christmas Day brunch and dinner 2015 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-christmas-day-brunch-and-dinner-2015-a-1072324/)

elijahmo Sep 20th, 2015 12:48 PM

New York - Christmas Day brunch and dinner 2015

Hi

My wife and I are spending the week in New York this Christmas. We're staying at the Westhouse for 6 nights. Key thing at the moment is to get bookings sorted for food on Xmas day (food is pretty important to us!) We're hoping to have brunch late morning and then dinner early evening. Budget wise, happy to spend $600 on dinner including drinks. I've had a look on opentable and done a few searches but haven't been able to find much definitive about what is actually open for Christmas day.

For brunch, would be looking for something around Central Park area ideally, pancakes, eggs options etc. Any thoughts on Loeb boathouse and Sarabeths? Don't seem to be able to make bookings for either online at the moment so assuming booking isn't available yet rather than they're booked up?

For dinner, I'm English and would like something we consider traditional, some sort of roast meet would be nice but putting that to one side as I'm in NYC and it's not Thanksgiving, any recommendations on a great dinner - French or Italian would be my preference. I saw Jean Georges was open for Xmas dinner last year and their prix fixe or tasting menu looked good but wasn't sure if they did anything more traditional at Xmas.

Any inputs appreciated.

Thanks, Ad

nytraveler Sep 20th, 2015 04:16 PM

Christmas is one of those days when eating out can be a challenge.

Many places are completely closed. Of those open quite a few have set seating at 2 hour intervals with limited menus since they are typically packed to the rafters. (Or there is the famous jewish chinese christmas meals - but it doesn't sound like what you want.)

Have no clue about brunch - obviously some places will do this but not a whole lot.

Also not sure how your desire for roasted meat goes with Italian although it might with some french.

I would keep checking on open table - they will list those places open on Christmas and the Christmas menu (often different from regular menu) to see what your options are.

We avoid eating out on Christmas, Thanksgiving, easter or Mother's Day for the reasons above.

IMDonehere Sep 20th, 2015 06:03 PM

Google Christmas 2014 NY Restaurants and see what was opened last year. It is usually an accurate indication what will occur this year.

Grandma Sep 20th, 2015 07:24 PM

I see that last year Aquavit offered a Christmas Eve dinner… that sounds very intriguing.

doug_stallings Sep 21st, 2015 04:59 AM

Some high-end restaurants have begun dinner service on Christmas day, but I suspect you will not find much on offer, and it's far too early to make such reservations, which are generally not accepted more than 30 days in advance. But many (perhaps even a large majority of) restaurants in NYC are still closed on Christmas. Brunch may be particularly difficult. Most restaurants that are open have special expensive menus, but nothing at Jean Georges will be "traditional" if you are looking for a roast or something like that.

Upscale Chinese food has always been a Christmas tradition in NYC, and you'll find places like Shun Lee Palace open on Christmas and quite busy. Opentable generally puts on a list of restaurants that offer Christmas dinner. You're within easy walking distance of the Time-Warner Center and many other restaurants, and I'm sure you'll find something, but Christmas is just not a big going-out day for most New Yorkers.

IMDonehere Sep 21st, 2015 05:48 AM

Jews have long gone to the movies Christmas Day followed by Chinese food. But it seems more and more NY'ers are not Christian and the restaurants and movies have become more crowded.

Here is a brief excerpt from Elena Kagan's Senate conformation hearing for the Supreme Court.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tku61sKhPGo

doug_stallings Sep 21st, 2015 05:55 AM

It's really only in the past couple of years that I've even seen upscale restaurants opening on Christmas Day, and then only for dinner ... not as on Thanksgiving for continuous service from, say, 11am to 9.

doug_stallings Sep 21st, 2015 08:11 AM

I just had an inspiration. The Nomad should almost certainly be open on Christmas because it's a hotel restaurant, and while they may not offer a traditional Christmas roast, they do have an excellent roast chicken.