Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New York/Broadway (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-york-broadway-1026398/)

cuteoldgal1 Sep 26th, 2014 08:28 AM

New York/Broadway

We have now booked two tickets to Book of Mormon through broadwaybox.com and by the time they were sent (Ups) to Canada and converted to cdn funds, these two $99 tickets ended up costing me 409.00 Canadian. Is there a better way to book tickets? We want to see Kinky Boots, Matilda and Newsies if we get a chance! Our tickets to Book of Mormon are in mezzanine sectionJ. Thank you

nytraveler Sep 26th, 2014 09:11 AM

Well, first of all why have them sent. Couldn't theyhave been held at the box office?

How much of the cost was shipping?

How much was cost of currency conversion?

How much was difference in value of currencies.

You can wait and try to get tickets when you get to NY - but don;t know if there will be availability by the time you get here. I though Newsies has closed. Sure you can get Matilda here.

TC Sep 26th, 2014 09:18 AM

I doubt you purchased those tickets from "Broadway Box". There hasn't been a ticket for Book of Mormon since it opened. My guess is that you connected to a link on BB.com that took you to a ticket agent (or what I would call a scalper). The price sounds about right.

To purchase legit tickets for the shows you mention, go to www.telecharge.com. For most shows you can see the exact seat on a seating map before purchasing the tickets.

You can check www.playbill.com for discount codes to use if any apply.

NeoPatrick Sep 26th, 2014 09:26 AM

Yes, something is very wrong. Even if you used a Broadway Box code (and there is none for Book of Mormon) booking tickets would still go through Telecharge -- unless you paid a scalper which it looks like you did.

I also don't get shipping (unless you did buy actual scalper tickets which probably would have to be sent). If you buy though the official booking agency (Telecharge for most shows -- Ticketmaster for a few others), then you can generally print your tickets on your computer or leave them at the theatre in Will Call.

Newsies HAS closed. When are you coming?

TC Sep 26th, 2014 09:34 AM

Cuteoldgal, you've been given some very good advice on your other post. Go back to it and interact with those who responded. I think you're in over your head without help.

cuteoldgal1 Sep 26th, 2014 11:05 AM

Thanks for the info guys, I am glad I didn't book all of them! Lesson learned!

absolutkz Sep 28th, 2014 04:35 PM

When are you visiting?

doug_stallings Sep 28th, 2014 06:05 PM

The easiest and cheapest way to book Broadway tickets is to book them through the official ticket seller, which is usually Telecharge, using a credit card. Get e-tickets and print them out at home. This is still going to cost about $10 tp $15 per ticket, but that's standard. Exorbitant but standard.

There are discounts for Matilda, and it often shows up at TKTS on weekdays. Newsies closed in August.

doug_stallings Sep 29th, 2014 08:29 AM

I just got a Playbill.com discount offer for Kinky Boots ($107 for orchestra/front mezzanine, cheaper for lesser seats), which is 35% off from Sept. 30 through Nov. 30. Might be worth checking see what's available. Code is KBPLY929. This offer is booked through Telecharge (and be sure to use the e-ticket option to lessen the impact of all the extra fees).