Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   new yor in aug - without kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-yor-in-aug-without-kids-600411/)

ashta Mar 18th, 2006 10:19 PM

new yor in aug - without kids

It is our 20th anniversary this year, and my wife & me are planning to leave kids with Grandma and stay for 4 days in New York City this summer (July 30 - Aug 3). It will be our first vacation without kids in 11 years. (Love the brats, but love the idea of 4 days without them !!). I would appreciate some tips from the travel experts on this board.

1. Hotel : I am planning to bid on Priceline for a 4* in Midtown West. Any suggestions on how much I will need to bid for late July / early August ? Should I also bid on Midtown-East ? I want to be walking distance to Times Square & Broadway as much as possible...

2. About how much will a cab cost from Newark airport to a Midtown-West hotel ?

3. I want to see a couple of Broadway plays while I am there. We have not seen a Broadway play in 20+ years (last time I was in NYC was 1980 and my wife has never been there !!) so I don't need to see a "new hit", any play will do. Does the TCKTS booth work well for discount shows in summer, or do I need to book plays on-line in advance ?

4. I imagine the weather will be hot & humid. Is NYC in summer a "shorts & t-shirt" kind of place for most daytime activities, or do we need to dress better even in the daytime ?

5. How late can you walk around in the city & still feel safe ?

mclaurie Mar 19th, 2006 01:27 AM

1. While we all like to feel like experts on everything, I'd ask your Priceline questions on biddingfortravel.com and/or betterbidding.com, 2 websites designed just for that kind of thing.

The decision on west vs. east only you can make. Obviously staying west is closer to TS. I happen to prefer the eastside atmosphere (TS is crazy and frenetic). I think if you decide to bid for both, you will be advised to make separate bids for each. By looking on those websites, you can see what people are paying.

2. The car services charge $45-50 for EWR to NYC (plus tolls & tip) so a taxi should be about the same. You might consider ordering a car. carmellimo.com and telavivlimo.com are 2 popular ones with prices = to a taxi.

3. The TKTS booth works, but you can save yourself time and trouble by ordering in advance online (or by phone) using discount codes. Look on broadwaybox.com (and playbill.com, theatermania.com) a few months before the trip. If you want to see a really "hot" show like Spamalot, Wicked, etc., you won't find them discounted and you should buy NOW at full price.

Info on TKTS boothS (there's one downtown too that's less crowded) is at tdf.org/tkts

4. You'll see all kinds of dress now, especially in tourist areas for tourist venues, but shorts and t shirts are a bit too casual for a decent restaurant. Use common sense. If you're going on a Circle Line cruise or to Central Park, it's fine. To shop in Saks Fifth Ave., look like you belong there. Also keep in mind, a/c indoors can get cool.

5. NYC is a 24/7 city. You can walk around at any hour and be fine. Just be sensible. I always feel there's security in numbers. If the street feels too empty, either hop in a cab or look for a street with more activity.

ashta Mar 19th, 2006 07:01 AM

Thanks mclaurie for the reply - very helpful !

EmilyC Mar 19th, 2006 07:31 AM

The Courtyard Marriott Times Square South is advertising a rate of 249 for your time period. Considering how terrible rates have been in New York lately, this is not a bad price. I use this hotel for business trips all the time and I like it because it's quiet and not that old but you can also walk to Times Square quickly. I just paid 349 at this property on 3 nites ago.
I'm not sure what you want to pay but I thought you might like this rate..

nytraveler Mar 19th, 2006 10:41 AM

Mclaurie is right as usual. Ye, NYC is likely to be hot as hell in Aug (and there will be LOTS of tourists vs locals - many of whom wil be in the Hamptons, the Vinyard, the Cape of the mountains).

For shows I would by discount tickets in advance - so you're not waiting on line in the heat. Go to Broadwaybox.com about 90 days in advance of your rip.

For adults nice shorts (like khaki bermudas - not cut off jeans) and a polo shirt (not tee) will be fine for most places. And make sure your shoes are comfy for lots of walking. Nicer restaurants you really do need to do at least business casual - even in the summer. (Although you will see people wearing ANYTHING - if it's too awful - just avert your eyes.)