Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Years in the North East (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-years-in-the-north-east-741930/)

kmara Oct 10th, 2007 09:59 AM

New Years in the North East

Hello All!
My boyfriend and I are in our mid twenties and are looking to spend about 4 days in Vermont or Maine or somewhere similar for some skiiing, relaxation,and fun.Any suggestions? We don't want somewhere that is ALL skiiing and nothing else and nothing TOO quiet.Is there anywhere in Vermont that would be fun and exciting for a young couple to ring in the New Year but still be relaxing? Thanks!

virginia Oct 10th, 2007 04:44 PM

in maine i'd suggest sunday river, near bethel maine.
in vermont in or around killington or go up north to stowe.

tbelgian Oct 15th, 2007 07:30 AM

The big ski areas in Maine are Sugarloaf and Sunday River. There is more going on near Sunday River in and around the town of Bethal. I also like the Rangley area with Saddleback being the ski area there. Sugarloaf is pretty remote so skiing and night life is pretty much it there.

I love the Stowe area in Vermont. It's a very pretty little town. There is a ski area there, but I don't know the name of it. Killington is big, so there should be a lot of night life around that area.

janiekins Oct 15th, 2007 10:31 AM

I absolutely love Stowe. It's a great quaint town with lots of fun restaurants. I have spent many New Years weekends there. Check out the Green Mountan Inn. The skiing mountain is called Mt. Mansfield.

cindyj Oct 15th, 2007 11:00 AM

tbelgian is right, as usual. Although we prefer skiing at Sugarloaf to Sunday River, it is further north, a longer drive, and more remote. It also has a "Mainer" feel. Most folks there on New Years will either be families, or "beer drinkin' types. Not that this is bad, but don't expect nightclubs, etc. They make New Year's fun, but its definitely a rock and roll crowd, not a "clubbin" crowd if you know what I mean. Sunday River is a bit more urban, if you could call it that. The Town of Bethel also probably offers New Year's activities. Google the Chamber of Commerce and see what's up and what strikes your fancy. There are also more shops, etc. in Bethel if the skiing isn't good.

I know less about VT, but Stowe is a wonderful town and would probably suit your needs. Killington is very popular, but I don't know anything about it. Another option is the North Conway area of NH, with Wildcat, Attitash, Bretton Woods, etc. There are a lot of ski choices in this area depending on how challenged you would like to be.

I would check resort websites for calendars of New Year's events.

colbeck Nov 30th, 2007 05:52 AM

Stowe is definitely the place to go! Great skiing, wonderful little town and lots to do...Also much easier to get to than Sunday River and Sugarloaf.

fmpden Nov 30th, 2007 06:26 AM

kmara, I am curious -- why did you put a Colorado tag on this posting since your are only interested in the NE?