Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida

We have never been there before and are considering going in May. Can anybody give us ideas of a good oceanfront hotel, and any other information about the city that we would need? (Do we need a car, is there a grocery centrally located by the beach, yada, yada, yada...) Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:52 AM

I live about 2 miles from Lauderdale by the sea, unfortunately I can not help you with hotels, but I can help with other stuff like stores and restaurants. Let me know if you want more info.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Here's some info given to me last year by poster GoTravel. She wrote:

"For GREAT LBTS information go to www.sunny.org

We stayed at Captains Quarters last summer. The pool area is beautiful, well kept. The hotel is clean and comfortable; not plushy and glitzy. Location is great as it's right on the beach and there are restaurants and shops within a block or two.

check out www.highnoonresort.com
We have stayed here twice, my parents just stayed for a month, and we all just love it. You walk right out from the pool to the sand, no roads to cross, less than a block from the town center and shops, rooms all redone, granite counter tops, clean, cannot say enough about this place! We got the one-bedroom apt in January last year for about $190 and it slept 5 comfortably."
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Judyrem - I certainly am interested in more information! Do we need to rent a car from Ft. Lauderdale airport to stay in most places in FBTS or is everything pretty compact in the area?

mclaurie - I'm checking both sites out now.

Thanks so much to you both for your information - anything else will be equally as welcome.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:36 AM

To my house the taxi fare is about 20$ from the airport,,it should be about 30$ to LBTS...it is not that far. I don't think you would need a car, but I do not know where your hotel would be. Even if you wanted to go elsewhere, taxis are pretty plentiful around here. LBTS is nice family spot lots of good restaurants too IMO.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Judyrem - I know the weather can never be held accountable for being accurate, but is it typically fairly warm in late April / early May? We are usually in the Keys then and can count on it, but we haven't been that far north in the spring to have a good idea of what to expect. Thanks again.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:13 AM

ccolor: LBTS is a compact one-mile stretch of beach community with all low rise older motels.

I was there two years ago and didn't rent a car (but only because I was there for just 3-4 days with the intention of parking my butt on a beach chair. We took a cab to the hotel and once into Ft. Lauderdale to spend an afternoon there. Next time, though, I'd probably rent a car.

There are a few restaurants within walking distance and a few souvenier stores. There's a grocery store nearby that I walked to a few times. I stayed at Captain's Quarters, and right next door there was a hotel (Best Western....maybe...can't remember) that had a beach bar. They had good rum drinks.

The beach is beautiful, the water lovely. Weather in late April early May should be spectacular and quite warm.

I liked Captain's Quarters. The rooms were good enough and they have a lovely small pool area. The owner gave me a run around about my room, so for that reason I probably won't return. Others on this board have had no problems with the motel.

Again, LBTS is VERY laid back, but if you have other activities in mind besides the beach, a car would be your best bet.

Have fun!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Buffalo Girl - Thanks so much for the comments about renting a car. I believe we're going to take you up on it and get one while we are there.

Judyrem - Do you know about how much of the planes in the Air and Sea show in May in Ft. Lauderdale can be seen from LBTS?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:43 AM

We can see quite a bit from our 3rd floor balcony because we are as the crow flies right behind Hugh Taylor Birch Park, where most of the festivities are located near Sunrise. You would see some of the jets as they make there turns, but I think you would be best walking toward Sunrise..it is not that bad a walk to a little south of Oakland Park which should give you a pretty good viewpoint IMO.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Lauderdale by the sea:
Judy's Lauderdale by the Sea Car Rental. I was just in FL...I was picked up from the FLL airport by private car, taken directly to the car rental (right on A1A) Great to do business with this rental co.
888-776-4950
4317 Ocean Dr. A1A
Laud. by the Sea, FL 33308
Less than $400(total) forChristmas week
Included 100 per day free.