New Year's in San. Francisco

Oct 31st, 1998, 04:30 PM
Tina

New Year's in San. Francisco

My girlfriends and I will be flying into SF on New Year's Eve (Thur.) and will be staying until Sunday.We will be staying in Union Square and will not have a car. Is there anything fun happening for New Year's Eve that we can get reservations for. Also, what would you recommend us doing for the 3 full days that we are there. Since the first full day is New Year's Day, will anything be open to do on that day? Thanks for the info.

Nov 2nd, 1998, 02:59 PM
Nancy

If you are staying in the Union Square Area, I would recommend eating at one of the local restaurants. Scala's is great fun and the food is very good. Plus there's a sort of swank/very SF bar at the top of the hotel where Scala's is located. As for other restaurants in that area, Fleur de Lys is one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. It's not cheap though, and I'm not sure if they're open.

If dining isn't your thing, there's always concerts and shows. Bill Graham Presents or Bass Tickets should have some sort of schedule online.

If you're a health nut, there's a midnight run.

As far as three days in SF goes, you're within walking distance to lots of fun things. Yerba Buena Gardens, The Center for Preforming Arts and The Museaum of Modern Art are a few blocks away. Shopping mecca is to be found at Union Square: Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Sax Fifth Ave., and lots of swank boutiques are there.

If the weather is nice, a walk thru the Presidio, along the Golden Gate Promenade to the Bridge is beautiful. SF is a great walking city. Tear up and over Powell Street into North Beach. Eat at L'Osteria del Forno or Tavolino. On your way back to Union Square, stroll over Grant Avenue through China Town.

A trip out to Golden Gate Park is nice. Catch the underground (Muni Metro) to the park. Take an outbound "N Judah" train and get off at 9th Avenue. The park's entrance is one block to the right. Avenue 9 and Ebisu are the two restaurants to eat at in that neck of the woods.

Finally, one of my favorite things to do in any city I visit is to take a walking tour. Your hotel should be able to set you up.

My e-mail address is above. Let me know if I can provide more info.

Nov 3rd, 1998, 04:31 AM
SFSally

I live in the San Francisco Bay area. I would strongly recommend taking a bus tour of the city. It costs about $27.00 /pp and they pick you up and drop you off at your hotel. It is a great way for seeing the highlights of the city.

It is true that San Francisco is great for walking with one caveat. Often you are walking up or down very steep hills. Take that into account when planning any walking tours.

Search this Thread