Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

seattle/Mt. Rainer or San Jose/Redwoods in august?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:37 PM
pati

hey,
Just need more feedback. I've eliminated
Portland from my choices for a 2-day trip, but if you had pick from San Jose with a side
trip to Redwoods and Seattle with a side
trip to Mt. Rainier,which would you pick
for best scenery and dry weather? This
is for early August. Is Seattle cold
this time of year?

It seems like a day trip to Mt. Rainier
can be done via tour buses and Seattle
is easy to get around w/o a car.
Has anyone used Royal Coach Tours for
a day trip to Redwoods from San Jose?
I couldn't find other tour companies, but
maybe someone here knows...

Let me know about weather and transportation
in each place.

Thanks...

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:39 PM
xxx

I would have chosen Portland over San Jose. So given my last two choices, I'd have to choose Seattle. The weather should be great in August in the Seattle area. It's a beautiful city and a fun area to vacation.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Caitlin

Pati, if you've ditched the Big Sur idea and are just thinking about taking a day trip to see the redwoods, cross SJ off your list. San Jose is not a destination in itself, and such a trip would be a waste of time from Florida. An alternative would be San Francisco, which is a destination in itself, and a trip to Muir Woods. Throw in a ferry trip across the bay or a drive to Pt. Reyes--no twisty mountain roads. But if you're skipping Big Sur and are looking for spectacular "natural* scenery (SF is its own kind), you should choose Mt Ranier over an afternoon in the redwoods.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:26 PM
trvlgrl

Agree with others. lived in San Jose many years and it's not what I'd call a travel destination. Been to Portland and Seattle and Mt. Rainier. My vote is definitely for Seattle and Mt. Rainier if it's awesome scenery you're after. Too bad you don't have more time. We put some miles on our rental car and ventured up hwy 5 to Vancouver, drove to the Olympic coast and took a ferry to Victoria--it made for one of our more memorable trips. Can't say what the weather is like in August, but we sure lucked out with no rain and mild temps when we went in April. For another view of the city, try Space Needle if you choose Seattle.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:32 PM
sgorces

People above have this advice right on. If you chose California over Washington, forget San Jose in favor of San Francisco. However, I've lived in Seattle all my life, and if you haven't been to Mt. Rainier you're missing one of North America's greatest offerings.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:33 PM
janis

I didn't see your earlier post but understand from this thread you are traveling from Florida. Taking a trip from the east coast to San Jose seems odd to me - it is a very important business center but definitely not a vacation hotbed.

There ARE redwoods nearby in the Santa Cruz mtns, but if you want to have a memorable trip and see redwoods San Francisco would be MUCH better. Lots to see in SF, better scenery, and easily accessible redwoods in Muir woods.

So, if for whatever reason, your only choices are Seattle or San Jose, definitely choose Seattle.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 02:49 PM
kam

I agree with all of the above with the possible suggestion that if you wanted to stay in a funky, retro surfing town, you could stay in Santa Cruz and see the redwoods in the mountains. San Jose is the "capital" of the Silicon Valley and while a nice business city, not a place to take a vacation. Seattle and SF are much better.