Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Years Eve in Tampa area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-years-eve-in-tampa-area-124997/)

patt May 20th, 2001 05:56 AM

New Years Eve in Tampa area

We are returning from a Christmas cruise and are extending to spend New Years in the Tampa area. We are an extended family, with adult kids. I have reservered Sanpiper Resort. Is it as nice as the pictures? Also is Guppy's resturant still there and is it as good as our last experince. Before the cruise we are staying at the Sailport Resort. Any info on these properties would be greatly appreciated. Also is there a public fireworks display in the area.....Thanks

Olive Oyl May 21st, 2001 04:24 AM

Patt...how did you happened to settle on Sailport Resort? Both the "resort" and the "sail" portion of their name is a misnomer. Although they are located on Tampa Bay, you probably wouldn't want to swim here--they do have a pool though. There are no sailboats, in fact no boats. Don't mean to talk them down, just want to be sure you realize it would be quite a stretch of the imagination to call this a resort.

Patt May 21st, 2001 04:47 AM

Miss Olive....Thanks for the heads up. Since I got the hotel at a very reduced rate that's why I chose it. It's just a meeting place before we do the cruise. Is there another place near the cruise pier that you can suggest? I'm looking for a deal. Thanks

Olive Oyl May 21st, 2001 08:40 AM

Patt, <BR> <BR>Their rates are quite low, but it is a distance from the pier, as it's on Rocky Point, as far west as you can go and still be in Tampa. If you have to get to the pier anytime around rush hour it could easily take you over half an hour to get there. You would be closer staying in a downtown hotel, but it would also be considerably more expensive. The 3 best downtown are Wyndham Harbour Island, Marriot Waterside, and Hyatt Regency but each will probably cost 2 to 3 times what Sailport does. If you don't mind the drive, you undoubtedly do have a good value, but I didn't want you to mistakenly think you were headed to a resort. Resort it is not! <BR> <BR>Fireworks...St. Pete has a liquor-free New Years party with fireworks and Clearwater probably has something as well. I honestly don't recall where all they have displays, but locations will all be published well in advance of your trip. Ask again closer to the date and I'm sure you'll get a more complete list of what's going on that night.

L May 21st, 2001 08:51 AM

They can party with us, and I can certainly assure them we'll have both fireworks and beverages. :&gt;&gt;&gt; But we may or may not be legal. I'm still searching for plastic champagne bottles to take out on the beach. Ciao.

Olive Oyl May 21st, 2001 09:13 AM

Hey L, thought you were going to be at the Vinoy? That's the best show in town and the fireworks will be right outside their windows. What's this about plastic on the beach? <BR> <BR>I'd give my right arm...well maybe not that one, to be celebrating it in our little marina, rather than in the hotel ballroom!! Actually, most years DH works and I come over just to get my kiss at midnight. :&lt; Fun...can I come to yours instead?

L May 21st, 2001 09:27 AM

You're a mind reader, of course ... your invite will be in the mail. But surely the H. will have a big wing-ding of which you may be the bell of the ball. Yep, you most certainly must not be on that computer at midnight. But I figure we'll be out on the beach by that time ... after the Vinoy has just about enough of my NYE act and gives us all the boot. It's interesting that someone should mention NYE ... it is most certainly an open issue here. There is a lot going on between now and then, too much really. But life is fun :&gt;&gt;&gt; Have a good one. Ciao.

xx May 21st, 2001 11:12 AM

<BR>might I suggest te Hilton Garden Inn,in Ybor City...it is the old cigar factory section ot Tampa it`s been revamped and really a swinging place...lots of activities...might be a good New Years Eve plce too..not far from the Port of Tampa..even has the Ports website on it...it`s www.hiltonybor.com--give a look--what does Olive Oyl& Leon think abot it.....?...

L May 21st, 2001 11:39 AM

XX, it might be great. Olive will know more though. I'm kinda limited to the beach scene ...Olive knows the Tampa area cold ... and everything east and west, plus south. I rely upon her judgment in all things. Just today, ... well, that's another story, and I must run. But I'd go with whatever Olive says. Ciao