Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Year's Eve dinner in NYC - where to go without paying $300 for a party hat and cheap glass of champagne? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-years-eve-dinner-in-nyc-where-to-go-without-paying-300-for-a-party-hat-and-cheap-glass-of-champagne-484981/)

BoulderCO Nov 8th, 2004 09:59 AM

New Year's Eve dinner in NYC - where to go without paying $300 for a party hat and cheap glass of champagne?

We will be in Manhattan on New Year's Eve - staying in mid-town. Any recommendations for a fairly nice restaurant where we can make reservations and will be serving their normal menu at their normal prices. Not interested in those rip-off New Years Eve deals where they think jacking the price up 200% is OK because they throw in a party hat and a cheap glass of champagne.

GoTravel Nov 8th, 2004 10:18 AM

If you want to avoid paying $300 per person for dinner on New Years Eve, get out of Midtown. I would suggest
I Coppi in the East Village. Reservations will be a must everywhere.

nytraveler Nov 8th, 2004 11:40 AM

Most restaurants will have special NYE packages - maybe not $300 - but more than usual - and often sepcific seatings and yes the package usually have champagne - and perhaps a funny hat. You can avoid that by going to a neighborhood place - but you said somehwere "nice" - not sure exactly what this means. What is your budget? What type cuisine?

And you probably will have to get out of midtown - which will be a disaster anyway due to so many streets being closed for the ball dropping.

Where are you planning on staying? You won;t be trapped in the ball dropping zone will you?

HowardR Nov 8th, 2004 12:32 PM

Check out Brasserie 8 1/2 on West 57th Street. Last year, they had a New Year's Eve special that wasn't too expensive (I forget the exact price.) It's an excellent restaurant that also gets high marks from me (and others) for its service, ambiance and decor.

bugswife1 Nov 8th, 2004 01:14 PM

Bobby Van's on 46th and Park is open and serves the regular dinner menu. I believe most steakhouses stick to their regular menu.

BoulderCO Nov 8th, 2004 03:36 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions - I will give them a call. We are just looking for a decent restaurant without having to pay the exorbitant New Year's Eve "special" prices. We are looking for $50-75 per person with a couple drinks each. We are staying on 51st near Radio City Music Hall. Not right in Times Square but close. How far do the street closures extend?

nytraveler Nov 8th, 2004 03:40 PM

On 51st St you should be OK. But from there you will have to go east or north - south or southwest will not be possible.

HowardR Nov 8th, 2004 04:48 PM

You're okay location-wise. However, you are strongly advised to restrict your search for restaurants east of 6th Avenue. It's hell getting across town south of 57th Street on New Year's Eve.
It might not be that easy to find what you're looking for on New Year's Eve (i.e., $50-75 a person including drinks).

Patrick Nov 8th, 2004 06:32 PM

A friend of mine in NYC always says, "the best place to go in New York City on New Years is Florida."

BoulderCO Nov 9th, 2004 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds like Bobby Van's might work since we could probably walk there if the weather is okay.

mclaurie Nov 11th, 2004 06:54 AM

Bobby Vans has a second location at 54 st between Park & Lexington. I haven't been to this venue yet, but it might be a bit easier to get to than the 46th st location. Another idea is the Beacon on 56th st just west of Fifth.