Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   new years dinner at copper mountain (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-years-dinner-at-copper-mountain-373708/)

suanniammsncom Nov 3rd, 2003 09:37 PM

new years dinner at copper mountain

Hello,
My husband and four children are traveling to colorado and skiing for the first time at copper mountain. Wondering about any kid friendly dining experiences for new years eve?
Thanks,
Susan

mrt Nov 17th, 2003 11:54 AM

Cooper Village only has a few casual restaurants. You would need to go to Breckenridge or Vail, each about 25-30 minutes away.

Grasshopper Nov 17th, 2003 12:14 PM

Keystone has a couple of really fun dining things; a sleighride dinner which takes you across the valley to log cabin with a great BBQ dinner, and the Fondue/raclette restaurant on top of the mountain. Both are great for kids. Check with Keystone Activities for both of these.

Strive Nov 17th, 2003 12:47 PM

suanniammsncom,

Mrt and Grasshopper are both right. While Copper Mountain is a GREAT place to ski, it is not a great resort town. There really isn't much to see or do there. The good news is, however, that you will be very close to Vail, Breckenridge and Keystone and there are many restaurants and activities at those three places.

Both of Grasshopper's recommendations are good ones for the whole family--especially the Fondue Retaurant at the top of Keystone mountain. You ride the gondola up to the restaurant have a multi-course fondue dinner and then have the option of riding or skiing back down the the base: It's quite an experience.

If you prefer to stay really close to Copper Mountain that night there is also a delightful little restaurant in Frisco about ten minutes away. It's called The Blue Spruce and it's a wonderful little log cabin restaurant featuring everything from steaks to game to seafood. The food's wonderful and it's agreat palce for couples or families.

Have a wonderful trip.

Strive

Grasshopper Nov 17th, 2003 03:14 PM

OMG, Strive.. everytime I've come down from der Fondue Chisel it's been FREEZING (they give you nice warm blankets on the gondola). I can't imagine trying to ski back, in the dark, after that huge meal! (actually, it's on the second mountain and I'm not sure you even can ski the back mountain at night). Brrrrrrr.

julie_Colorado Nov 18th, 2003 05:41 AM

To ski down after der fondue chessel you take the first gondola and then ski down the front of the mountain. I would never do it - but my kids do! Personally, if I was at Copper at New Years - I would make a simple meal in the condo.

Strive Nov 18th, 2003 07:31 AM

Grasshopper,

Granted it WAS cold when we did it but I'm so glad we did it ONCE. The ski run was beautifully lit and they were playing classical music the whole way down. It was a breathtakingly beautiful experience (it didn't hurt to have some "anti-freeze" in you system, either) b(

Strive

Grasshopper Nov 18th, 2003 08:21 AM

Two thumbs up, Strive... you gotta love an adventurer!

Julie..sorry about the Chisel :-)

gb Nov 18th, 2003 06:46 PM

It will be really cold. Below zero up on the mountain. I don't know about this year, but I know some of the goings on at Vail have been cut back because high school and college kids had been hooping it up at Vail. I'd enjoy some activities at Keystone, or maybe at breckenridge and watch it on tv as Julie suggests. If you want more activity late night, you might need to spend the night in Denver. Depending on the year, they have fireworks on the downtown mall.

Maple Nov 18th, 2003 07:12 PM

Can't tell you about Copper, BUT...., when our family went to Breck. for New Years several years ago, we made a point of doing a special New Years in the room and even took a midnight walk under the fireworks that the town (?) shoots off. I brought strands of lights for the hotel room windows and little "gifts" for the kids. Then we ordered Chinese delivered and had a picnic on the floor with candlelight and "wine" (cider) in real wine glasses. The kids still talk about what a unique New Years it was and it was fun keeping it all a surprise. I would do it again!! I'm sure that folks could give you all kinds of good ideas for similar "events"!