Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Years Day in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-years-day-in-nyc-667115/)

seaglas7 Dec 30th, 2006 03:37 PM

New Years Day in NYC

Our family of six will be arriving at JFK early New Years Day. Any suggestions for places that will be open. I know the museums will be closed and perhaps many stores. Wondering about restaurants, Chelsea Market places to visit... We are hoping the crowds will thin by Tues or Wed. Does anyone have suggestions for things to do New years day?

GoTravel Dec 30th, 2006 03:51 PM

If it isn't too cold, it would be a great day for the double decker tour bus.

If it is cold, things like the Empire State Building, Ellis Island, Top of The Rock, etc will not be closed.

Personally, I'd opt for a long brunch, bloody marys, and the New York Times.

gb944 Dec 30th, 2006 04:16 PM

Head to the ESPN Sportszone and watch bowl games on the big TVs.

lizziea06 Dec 30th, 2006 09:24 PM

GoTrav has the right idea. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to go ear time's square. Maybe you cuold be a bit more specific about your family? Age? Requests?

mcnyc Dec 30th, 2006 09:59 PM

Actually, which museums are you looking to visit?

The American Museum of Natural History will be open on New Year's Day (as far as I know), as is the Guggenheim. Most federal installations (the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Federal Hall & National Museum of the American Indian) will be open on New Year's Day. Your federal tax dollars at work.

This is NY. There will always be plenty of things to see, material goods to purchase. :)

mclaurie Dec 31st, 2006 03:17 AM

and some of the stores will be open.

Go to nycvisit.com and look at their calendar for that date.

bill_boy Dec 31st, 2006 04:01 AM

Well, my wife's got our New Year's day activity lined up - she said it's gonna be "Dreamgirls" at our neighborhood Loew's using her Amex points.

ekscrunchy Dec 31st, 2006 04:06 AM

Bill, please buy those "Dreamgirls" tickets today; we tried to go on Christmas and the shows were sold out at Ziegfield and Clearview 62nd Street.

BudgetQueen Dec 31st, 2006 08:09 AM

Just be aware of the hords of people in town. I just spent 4 days in NYC. The Statue of Liberty- took me all day, at least 3 hours in lines with extensive security- plenty of angry people also who had no clue about the necessary access passes- more lines. :)

The Empire State Buildling had 3 + hour waits in lines. I went at 10:30pm at night and still waited an hour- brillant clear night made it worth it. :) All resturants in the Times Square had extensive waits- just be prepared.

bill_boy Dec 31st, 2006 10:41 AM

Thanks, ekscrunchy. We actually got up early enough, was able to make our way to Patisserie Claude in WV for some of Claude's TERRIFIC pain-au-chocolat and plain croissants, and still make it back to Kip's Bay Loew's to catch Dreamgirls.

I was really hoping for "A Night In The Museum" or "The Good Shepherd", but I wasn't making this call.

BYW, Dreamgirls is a good movie, very good soundtrack and excellent performances, especially by Jennifer Hudson.