Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Year's Dinner---Los Angeles Restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-years-dinner-los-angeles-restaurant-484623/)

vicki2201 Nov 6th, 2004 10:24 AM

New Year's Dinner---Los Angeles Restaurant

Our big family has decided to spend the New Year Holidays in Los Angeles (we're from overseas). Since we are actually a group of three small families with children, grandparents, etc. we have booked ourselves quite conveniently at the Oakwood Suites in Marina del Rey.

We need to book a nice restaurant for New Year's eve dinner. We will be 10 adults (kids will stay home). Can anyone recommend a nice place? We will have rental cars.

Our group includes a couple of restauranteurs so the food has to be good--ambience can be regular, not necessarily spectacular. Cost is not an issue (well of course it is, but I am open to all ranges at this point). And none of us are real "winos"--a bottle for a small toast is all we need.

Let me know if anyone has ideas. Thanks so much!

Alisa Nov 6th, 2004 11:39 AM

A lot of restaurants have New Year's packages. Il Cielo in Beverly Hills is very nice/pricey with loys of ambiance. I believe that the Ritz Carlton in Marina Del Rey has special festivities every year.

tracys2cents Nov 6th, 2004 11:48 AM

Check with The Restaurant at the Getty to see if they're accepting reservations for New Year's Eve. It would be an easy drive straight up the 405 freeway or Sepulveda Blvd from the Marina, maybe 15 mins?

www.getty.edu

vicki2201 Nov 7th, 2004 08:51 AM

I'm not familiar with having a meal at the Getty--specially on New Year's. Would you have any particular reason for recommending it? (Just have to be armed with answers when my family asks). Has anyone had dinner here?
Meanwhile, I already emailed them to ask them if they are accepting reservations for New Years.

I did check out the Ritz Carlton, and upon hearing the price of $175/person--I realized cost IS an issue (since we are 10). Maybe something less fancy, but with good food? We don't need to stay till midnite as we would've left the smaller children at home..

Any more suggestions? Thanks again!

tracys2cents Nov 7th, 2004 09:47 AM

The Restaurant at the Getty is one of L.A's best kept secrets in my opinion. In fact, I should probably stop mentioning it here! The cuisine is called "California-Mediterranean" I believe, and there is an emphasis on seafood & pasta. The seafood risotto is delicious and one member of our party had a lobster cream fettucini that she raved about. Normally they are only open Fri & Sat from 5 to 8:30pm and for daily lunch. If this is the case on Dec 31, a sunset visit to the grounds and the museum would be nice, followed by an early dinner. Not sure if they'll be open later that evening for more of a traditional New Year's Eve experience.

The Restaurant has a spectacular mountain-to-ocean view and is an only-in-Los-Angeles experience. If not for New Year's Eve, you may wish to visit the Getty with your whole family while you are in Los Angeles, the Getty Museum has a special section for kids and usually has kids activities planned on Saturday & Sunday afternoons. There is a less-expensive cafe for lunch and snacks.

I imagine that you can find reviews at Gayot.com and Zagat.

Alisa Nov 7th, 2004 08:24 PM

May be consider some places in Santa Monica? The Lobster or something on the promenade?

lvk Nov 8th, 2004 06:35 AM

I think many places will have prix fixe menus for New Year's eve.

Here are some favorite restaurants that are a short drive from MDR. You're smart to check now for a party of 10:

Josie Restaurant - www.josierestaurant.com

Jiraffe Restaurant - www.jirafferestaurant.com

Crustacean - www.secretkitchen.com

You can check the websites for their menus and telephone #'s.

Enjoy!