New to Hilton Head, SC

Search

New to Hilton Head, SC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Hilton Head, SC

We will be traveling to Hilton Head this weekend. Has anyone stayed at the Hampton Inn located on Dillon Rd. or the Holiday Inn Express on Waterside Dr. Which hotel would you recommend? I know the Holiday Inn is closer to the beach but is it close to restaurants and shopping? Beside golfing and tennis, what would be your suggestions of things to do? What about biking, is it easy to bike on the island? Could someone recommend some good seafood and italian restaurants? Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

This is my second attempt.....maybe no one has ever stayed at these two hotels. Could someone comment on my other questions, I really would appreciate it!!
Thanks
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 12:41 PM

The Hampton Inn you mention is right by the airport. I'm not sure how far you'd have to drive to get to a public beach access. The HI Express you mention is in a much better location close to the commercial area surrounding Coligney Circle. You're beach access is within walking distance right at Coligney Circle. Lots of restaurants/shopping/bike rentals nearby too.

While I haven't stayed at either, I'd absolutely choose the HI Express based on location.

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Can't help you much with the hotels. I think I stayed at the Hampton Inn once, and it was reasonably well located. Nothing is too far from anything else on Hilton Head. PRices should have come down this time of year however, you might want to see how much you would have to pay to get oceanfront.

As for biking, do you mean serious cycling, or just putzing around? HH is PERFECT for putzing around on a rented mountain bike because of all the paved bike paths. I have never taken a road bike down there, but friends who have say it's not very good riding, the motorists don't know the difference between a kid on a cruiser and a real cyclist, and they think you should be on the bike paths.

I haven't been to HH since 2000, so I'm afraid to make rest. recs., look at Chowhound.com's south board for restaurant info. Have fun!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 12:46 PM

as far as other activities...kayaking
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Holiday Inn -- location is so much better for the beach (although there's still a walk or bike ride down).

Biking on the beach at low tide morning and evening is marvelous with hard packed sand but make sure you have balloon tires!

Most important: Get a map! Once you figure out what's where, it's not hard, but initially you really can't see any restaurants or shopping areas from the main roads.

We ate lunch twice at Sea Shack (Pope Avenue below the circle) which was not fancy, but had a terrific selection of unusual and fresh fish and assorted seafood. Great value, no atmosphere to speak of, lots of locals, wonderful food.

Redfish (Palmetto Bay) has an early bird special that features lots of seafood but also steak and ribs, very well done, with soup or salad, main course and sweet tea or lemonade for $13.95. Glass of wine was less than $3 -- or you can pick from their fab selection of bottles which they will serve with a corkage fee. Highly recommended.

Our favorite was The Studio, close to Sea Shack. Guitarist singing Bob Dylan, an artist painting, an art gallery to admire, tons of candle light so intimate and romantic, very imaginitive menu -- absolutely fabulous.

We went kayaking, took trip to Daufuskie and would have done a horseback trail ride had it not rained. Watch for jelly fish, which I had never seen before but apparently are plentiful this year (last week).

B/
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone!!!!! Your information is going to help us have a great get-away. If you think of anything else, would appreciate it if you would drop me a line.
Thanks a bunch
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 10:41 AM

I've been to Hilton Head several times and have always enjoyed it.

Every time I have gone, I've rented a bike. You can often find coupons for the bike rental companies in the tourist magazines they have at the visitor's center. Many bike shops will deliver the bike to you and pick it up, too. There are plenty of bike paths and I really like riding on the beach, too.

When I was there last, we went to Marley's, which serves Caribbean-style food and it was really good. They had a little ice cream shop next door that's also fun.