Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Thread-SF GTG Plans for Saturday 10/25 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-thread-sf-gtg-plans-for-saturday-10-25-a-447438/)

paula1470 Oct 20th, 2008 02:31 PM

New Thread-SF GTG Plans for Saturday 10/25

I know that P_M started a similiar thread awhile back but since we are getting close to the GTG, I thought I'd start a new one.

Seems like we will be having a few out of town guests for the SF GTG who will also be in town for part of or all of the weekend.

I just thought I would see if there are any particular sights that everyone would like to see especially on Saturday during the day.

I know we also talked about meeting for breakfast Sat morning maybe at Mama's in Washington Square although we need to be prepared for a line. There are also other places we could meet for breakfast so any recommendations are welcome.

P_M, I know you don't get to SF very often so if you have suggestions, let us know. Faina mentioned if I have a car of going to Muir Woods. I really don't care, I am game for anything.

So throw out ideas and of course we can also go our own separate ways (but together would be fun!).

abranz Oct 20th, 2008 03:49 PM

if the weather is good and you are not sick of the water, taking the ferry to tiburon or sausalito is fun.
there are a few good restaurants in tiburon right as you get off the ferry and the ones in sausalito are a short block or so away.
just a change of scenery!

paula1470 Oct 20th, 2008 05:22 PM

abranz-Yes I like Sausalito but since many of us are doing the cruise the day before, we might want to do something else.

I don't have any strong ideas myself. It looks like it's going to be a gorgeous weekend. 72 degrees on Friday and 76 on Sat. Does it really get that warm in SF? BTW, this wasn't for inland areas.
If it's going to be that nice, we should definitely be outdoors.

paula1470 Oct 21st, 2008 07:42 AM

I put a link to this thread on the long GTG thread. We can continue our discussion there or start new here, doesn't matter to me.

abranz Oct 21st, 2008 08:07 AM

as long as there is no wind and the fog does not roll in, it does on occasion get that warm in san francisco.
just keep in mind tho' that no matter how warm it is on land, the boat cruise will be cold.
they do have indoor seats (for wimps like me) for those that cannot handle the cold and the wind.
dressing in layers is the only way to be prepared for san francisco weather.

paula1470 Oct 21st, 2008 08:35 AM

abranz-I was being a little sarcastic about the temp. I have been to SF many, many times and have always been cold. Yes there have been a few nice days but not too many. Of course I am also a wimp as I grew up in Arizona and now live in So. Cal.

But if it really gets into the 70's for the weekend, we are in for a glorious time.

FainaAgain Oct 21st, 2008 08:47 AM

A shot of margarita - and it gets warm :)

Have you been here? But this is only with a car.
http://www.filoli.org/

Maybe Santa Cruz redwood train?
http://www.roaringcamp.com/beach.html This is doable without a car.

FainaAgain Oct 21st, 2008 08:53 AM

You can also spend the day at Berkeley Univ. - the campuses are in the beautiful forest-like area, some museums and parks, is the rose garden there? or arboretum?

cat111719 Oct 21st, 2008 10:21 AM

Breakfast sounds good, if any of you are early risers. My flight home is around 12:30 so I'm not sure what kind of time that leaves me in the AM.

Surfergirl Oct 21st, 2008 06:47 PM

What? The temps will be in the '70's?!? Wow, so that means it will be even warmer in Bezerkeley.

I'll be spending Sat. enjoying a little Bruins/Cal football at Berkeley's Memorial Stadium.

Thank GOD I am one of the zillions of UCLA alum who have a sense of humor about or team.

My son won't be on the field this Sat. talking photos (he shares this job with another spirit-team member), but I'm sure, as he dresses in his Cal Rally Committee garb that he won't be totally embarrassed by me and my husband all decked out in Bruin gear.

For those of you who like college football, Memorial Stadium is really quite nice, on campus, notwithstanding the serious lack of alcoholic beverages!

Surfergirl Oct 21st, 2008 06:49 PM

"about or team" = "about our team".

The UCLA/Stanford game last weekend, by the way, rocked!

TrvlMaven Oct 21st, 2008 07:05 PM

Okay, totally confused as to plans for Sat--may be able to catch up with the "after party" on Sat--where? When???

cat111719 Oct 21st, 2008 07:27 PM

TrvlMvn, I will try to summarize, but I have been known to get confused so hopefully someone else will confirm...

Some people are meeting at Mona Lisa's for lunch Friday around noon.

Some people (not sure if this includes the people lunching at Mona Lisa's) are going on a boat tour.

Dinner will then be at Hunan Henry's (?) at 6:30

NOt sure about an after party, but if it is OK with ncounty, we can have drinks back at our room, if you aren't all too rowdy!

Not sure how long that will last but then there may be a breakfast the next day.

And some people may be trying to plan another thing for Saturday too.

TrvlMaven Oct 21st, 2008 07:36 PM

Cat--thanks for the "update"--keep me in the loop for Sat plans. I'm a BART ride away--or have a small car. Cheers, Maven

LoveItaly Oct 21st, 2008 07:39 PM

Yes, those of us that are having lunch at the MonaLisa in NorthBeach will all be taking the boat tour at 2:30pm.

At this point the RSVP's for the luncheon are Patrick and Lee, P_M, toedtoes and myself. We will be meeting at noon at the MonaLisa and will take taxis to Fisherman's Wharf for the hour long boat tour. After the tour and before the GTG..well we will figure it out, no set plans right now. Anyone else that would like to meet us for lunch is more than welcome but post here by tomorrow so I can give the correct number when I call and make the reservation with the MonaLisa.

Cat, TrvlMaven had posted they will not be able to attend the Friday evening GTG as they have a lovely wedding to attend.

Kal Oct 21st, 2008 08:33 PM

What about Sunday?...I'll probably sleep all day Saturday. b(

paula1470 Oct 22nd, 2008 06:58 AM

cat-I didn't know you were flying back that early on Sat. As far as breakfast, I guess it depends on what time we meet.

NCounty-When are you returning home?

So right now it looks like for Saturday, we have P_M, Paula1470, Faina and maybe TrvlMaven. Of course anyone else who lives in the area can join us.

My plane leaves at 8:30 pm Sat so I have all day and I think P_M is going to Beach Blanket Babylon that night.

P_M, you mentioned a few things you wanted to do so maybe we could one of those. If you are interested in going to Muir Woods, I have no problem renting a car. I just should probably do that soon.

Hard to decide, there are so many sights to see!!

NeoPatrick Oct 22nd, 2008 07:59 AM

cat, I too am confused and am not about to read through all 400 posts on the other thread. But aren't you staying at Columbus Motor Inn? Are you flying alone? Our flight from SFO is 12:05 on Saturday, so maybe you'll want to share a taxi with us?
We discovered a great little breakfast place around the corner -- Pat's Cafe. They owe me a mimosa because they discovered my name is Pat, but not till we were ready to leave.

We'll talk.

ncounty Oct 22nd, 2008 08:18 AM

I leave the next afternoon; I think I have to head out around noon so I could make breakfast. Anyone up for dim sum or some other interesting breakfast experience?

FainaAgain Oct 22nd, 2008 09:24 AM

only 380 more replies needed to make a decision :-p