Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   new thoughts on paying xtra for our own kids! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-thoughts-on-paying-xtra-for-our-own-kids-612013/)

Melrose May 1st, 2006 07:41 AM

new thoughts on paying xtra for our own kids!

Figured I would start a new topic page for this. I do get what Bergers trying to say.. it is sort of a racket as she said. I know we paid a fortune to go to cedar Point in ohio last year, and we also paid to park, plus my children did not even ride close to what us adults did. As for the hotels in Md. is our choice, must be something they like @ this paticular hotel.. but 12, is awfully young to charge for. If it is a room w/one Queen/king of cousrse it is just a couple. but, if it is 2 bedroom room already and paying EXTRA for that already, well.. that should be enough!!! Of course WE ALL have hard ships,illness as the one guy HAD to point out. But we all need vacations.. somewhere, and the policies should be somewhat the same. It is alllll over the board with ages,conditions.. so on and so on! just a thought! I can see both side very easily! More then I can say for some on "Paying extra for 12 year old".. woe hope you guys are less tough in real life,sposes,kids, co-workers... Maybe be less critical and more christain to others. :-)

GoTravel May 1st, 2006 07:45 AM

Did I miss something?

Hotels that are strict on charging for extra people in the room (see Vegas) are usually in locations where people abuse the fire code maximum amount of people per room.

It overloads housekeeping (think of how much longer it takes to clean a room and the extra electricity to wash towels), utilitlies, staff etc.

AustinTraveler May 1st, 2006 07:49 AM

Don't listen to Go Travel...she hates kids!

LOL!!!!!

Melrose May 1st, 2006 07:50 AM

go travel, I do agree more then B4, but like I said all the rules,regulations are so far apart. but thank God for the internet and AAA it helps with research to get the best deal for what we want and what we can afford!( and put up with)
Have not had the pleasure to travel to Vegas YET.. that i do not want to do with kids of any age! Mu hubby and I will wait. :-)

GoTravel May 1st, 2006 07:51 AM

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting.

:-D

girlonthego May 1st, 2006 08:00 AM

It goes to say that people without kids wonder why kids are not charged and people with can't understand why they are charged.
Both sides have valid arguements. I think if the room has two double beds and costs 200 dollars, then it is 200 dollars for two adults or two adults and two kids. Bigger families can pay more or get two rooms.
As far as all inclusive and buffets, I can't imagine a 12 year old eats like an adult. I know she doesn't drink like an adult. So, yes I think it is ridiculous to pay full price for a 12 year old to eat and drink at these places.
So, you can see I have girls around 12 and I only have two. :)
So my opinion is biased to my family situation. :)

TheWeasel May 1st, 2006 08:03 AM

The point that so many people seem to have missed is this: some hotels charge more for kids because they don't want them there. It's a way of pricing families out of the property. It's not a simple matter of saying, it should only cost $5/day to wash towels. They don't want children. Period. So they charge an exorbitant fee because that keep most of the families away. On the other thread, Nina's example of a $50/day charge for each kid was a prime example of a resort that clearly did not want children.

girlonthego May 1st, 2006 08:09 AM

That may be true weasel, but I have found that some of the nicest resorts have the brattiest (is that a word?) kids at it. So, charging exhorbinant fees only deters the family on a budget. The family who can afford it, will go anyway. I think when they don't want kids, they say no children, or children discouraged, or no children under 12 or 16. I have seen that before.
So, I am just thinking that charging extra will force parents to either go or not depending on their budget.

Gekko May 1st, 2006 08:12 AM

Bias or no bias, it is an absolute fact that children add to a hotel's costs.

Who should bear that cost? All of the hotel's customers, of those who actually <i>cause</i> the higher costs (the parents)? The answer should be obvious.

(And, as an aside, both my 11 year old nephew and 9 year old nephew eat (waste) more food than adults.)

dsquared May 1st, 2006 08:35 AM

Melrose, I'll paraphrase what I posted on Rose Berger's thread:

If you don't like the hotel's policy then go elsewhere. Simple as that. No one forces you to stay at a particular hotel. It's your choice.

J_Correa May 1st, 2006 08:45 AM

I agree with dsquared - if you don't like a hotel policy, choose to stay elsewhere. If enough people make this choice and the hotel's bottom line is adversely affected, then perhaps the management will rethink the policy. If not, then it appears the business model is working for them and they will continue with the current policies.

michelleNYC May 1st, 2006 09:33 AM

Is there a website that translates unintelligible babble?

nytraveler May 1st, 2006 09:59 AM

Obviously each hotel has the right to set it's own policies. And big city hotels - with lots of busines travellers tend to charge more for any more than 2 people (if they allow them at all), while resorts that cater to families try to attract more business by making some kids free (how many and under what age is their choice).

People can stay at whatever hotel they want.

However, to assume that one should have the right to bring as many &quot;kids&quot; as one chooses of whatever ages and stuff everyone into one room is simply silly. It is costing the hotel more - and others - with fewer people per room are paying more than their fair share - esp if one is trying to put 6 people (all essentially adult size) into one room.

However, if the poster can find a hotel willing to do this (and is not sneaking in extra people unknown to management) more power to them.

I can only say when my stepdaughters started to grow up (10 and 13) we got them their own room. Not only so they could have some privacy - but also so we could have some - and not have to deal with a bathroom filled with about 5,000 hair care products.

And if someone can't afford that (as my parents couldn;t) there are other options - for instance renting a condo or cottage - which is made for more people and helps save money on eating out etc.

And for the record - I don't hate children. I like children. I just don;t see why I should have to pay for the vacations of other people/s children (I already pay - without complaint - for their schooling and healthcare, since that is good for society in general. But no one requires expensive vacations. Parents should organize vacations that fit within their budgets - without having fits when asked to pay for their own kids.)

TxTravelPro May 1st, 2006 10:33 AM

michelleNYC... you so crazy!
:)

JAGIRL May 1st, 2006 10:37 AM

I'm still stuck at my question to Bergers:

&quot;Who is supposed to pay for the kids?&quot;

GoTravel May 1st, 2006 10:40 AM

WHO are the Bergers?

TheWeasel May 1st, 2006 10:52 AM

GoT, meet the Bergers:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34796209

JAGIRL May 1st, 2006 10:53 AM

GoTo:
There was a previous thread...sorry!

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34796209

JAGIRL May 1st, 2006 10:54 AM

Weasel...
this is what happens when posts collide! :))

utahtea May 1st, 2006 11:00 AM

Obviously, enough people pay for kids over 12 or these places would change their ways.

Like most businesses, they are in it for the money. Hotels aren't the only places that charge differently for different ages. Zoos, Amusement parks, movie theathers, campgrounds, etc. Not much we can do about it.

Utahtea