Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Security at Airport - Blows Air - Anyone else see these?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from Niagara Falls this past Monday (wonderful trip!). We had a layover in Baltimore. Anyone else been through the new security gates that blow air at you? I had never heard of these before, but maybe I'm out of the loop. It is like the metal detectors, but there are glass doors that close in front of you. Puffs of air blow at you and then about 15 seconds later the doors open. I assume it's testing for explosives of some kind. It was nice to not have to take my shoes off. Be sure to hold onto your clothes if you do go through one of these. It blew my shirt up! I was shocked and quickly grabbed my top. One of the ladies working security told me "good reaction time". The guy working security just on the other side had a great post. I said "You get free peep shows all day long, don't you?" He just kind of laughed, but he didn't deny it! Anyway, just be cautious of your skirts and tops ladies if you happen to go through one of these.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Thanks for posting! What an interesting way to go through security. It sounds like it takes a little more time, but anything to try and keep the skies safer. I recently got frisked because of a charm on my tee shirt - won't be wearing that on a trip anyting soon.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:39 PM

There is a thread under airlines on such a contraption - thread is headed "What did I see flying thru MIA".

We experienced such a thing at MIA last winter - not everyone went thru it - it almost looked like they were testing it. I think it either reads your mind or steals info off your credit card stripes. In any case, it was sort of creepy.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

That's funny gail, it was kind of odd. I did notice there were cameras in there as well. It won't be long before they're trying to read our minds!
I'll look for the post you mentioned.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM

The nmachines are designed to detect explosive materials; unfortunately they are somewhat slow to process the information.

I honestly wish I believed they make the skies safer.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Mrs. Jenn, you must've looked like Marilyn Monroe in the famous scene of "Seven Year Itch" where, as she stands over a windy subway grating, her skirt rises to underpants level.

Your post title reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy's wondering how you could use a leaf blower to hijack an airliner: "Turn the plane around or I'll mess up your hair!! "
He saw a leaf blower along with a Coleman lantern on the list of forbidden items at Atlanta's airport security area. "If you're a yard man who works nights and you have to get on a plane to get to your job, it's time for a career change."
I have not seen one of these security devices, but it sure would be nice to not have to go through the shoe take-off- then-put-back-on routine. And I'll defintely NOT wear a skirt next time at an airport!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Doesn't it figure that a man would be assigned to the post that could view everything that happens in their little wind tunnel?! Pervs!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Woah, interesting! Just flew from LAX and didn't experience that but both my DD and i were frisked. Not even sure why as we were very careful in regards to our clothing and didn't set off the alarm?! No biggie for me but DD was kinda freaked by it.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:08 PM

where is it? Baltimore? I'm going there! IN A SKIRT
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Your poor daughter! Ditto last word of my previous post!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Faina, gotta love you!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Ha! You guys are funny. I wish it was Marilyn Monroe moment, but I had more of a "deer caught in headlights" look.
Of course they put a man in that post. You should have seen it, he was leaning against a column just watching and waiting for something like that to happen...too funny. They are probably entertained all day at that location because most people have not been through one before.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:15 PM

Yup BayouGal, i wondered about that ... maybe we looked really HOT ... as it was like 100!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Neopolitan

Well it won't be the first hot air expended in relation to improving airport security.

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:20 PM

FarinaAgain,
Don't forget your thong!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Sunshine, I have nothing to hide!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:03 PM

I went through this security screening in Denver, Colorado. It was no big deal. It took several seconds for the doors to open after the air was blowing at me.

I was fine with it.

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:14 PM

They had similar machines at the Statue of Liberty line. No doors to lock you in, though.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

It wasn't a big deal....just unexpected. I just wanted to tell others about my funny experience with it.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM

I went through one of these at the Phoenix airport recently. Luckily the guy warned me to really hold on to my skirt. Luckily I did as I was with my boss and wouldn't have really wanted him to get a show.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -