Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Rules for Travel from Mainland to Hawaii! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-rules-for-travel-from-mainland-to-hawaii-1698320/)

Songdoc Jun 24th, 2021 02:17 PM

New Rules for Travel from Mainland to Hawaii!

Just Announced:
Effective July 8, individuals traveling in the U.S. domestically can bypass pre-travel testing rules and quarantine if they are fully vaccinated when traveling to Hawaii.

Paqngo Jun 24th, 2021 06:55 PM

That’s great news.

jacketwatch Jun 25th, 2021 09:23 AM

Hmmm. I spoke to someone at the Hyatt Regency two days ago who said for a stay there a neg. covid test no more than 3 days prior to arrival is necessary or otherwise you have to quarantine. Maybe now they have changed their policy or will do so.

november_moon Jun 25th, 2021 11:13 AM

This is the news we were hoping for. Our trip in in August.

CaliNurse Jun 25th, 2021 02:29 PM

Jacketwatch, you spoke to Hyatt 2 days prior to June 25, so they were going by current testing requirements (through July 7) for arrival .
They didnt know the next-day's announcement with updated requirements. I doubt their hotel policy will not comply with the state policy.
The rules were changed only yesterday, June 24 . It took a lot of people by (mostly happy) surprise! Until Gov Ige's statement yesterday, arrival rules were based on the % of vaccinated Hawaiians.

Songdoc, i will check the announcement for rules about young children from US Mainland accompanying their parents. Will they still need testing? Have you heard anything?

Songdoc Jun 25th, 2021 02:40 PM

jacketwatch: <I spoke to someone at the Hyatt Regency two days ago>

This was only announced yesterday.

suze Jun 25th, 2021 04:06 PM

spoke to someone at the Hyatt Regency two days ago

It is only now barely changing in a couple weeks. What they said was true for two days ago :-)

suze Jun 25th, 2021 04:24 PM

What they said was true at the time.

spoke to someone at the Hyatt Regency two days ago who said

The rules are not changing until July 8th

jacketwatch Jun 25th, 2021 04:30 PM

[QUOTE=jacketwatch;17255541]Hmmm. I spoke to someone at the Hyatt Regency two days ago who said for a stay there a neg. covid test no more than 3 days prior to arrival is necessary or otherwise you have to quarantine. Maybe now they have changed their policy or will do so.[/QUOTE
I talk to somebody at the front desk today at the Hyatt Regency and there was no mention of what the other person said about having a negative Covid test to get into the hotel so maybe there was a misunderstanding.

I am told that the restaurants in Honolulu are at 50% capacity so there can be long waits to get into one. The Hyatt Regency Waikiki Hazelwood restaurant open and it’s a casual fare one. In any case we are planning to go in January so I think in reasonably hope by the time things will be fully open.

Songdoc Jun 25th, 2021 08:09 PM

<i will check the announcement for rules about young children from US Mainland accompanying their parents. Will they still need testing? Have you heard anything?>

I have not. But I read that restaurants will be permitted to have 75% capacity -- also effective July 8th.

jacketwatch Jun 26th, 2021 04:56 AM

All in all the news is looking quite positive.

as we are planning for a trip in January I hope by the end it certainly things will be practically back to normal.

we have been to Pearl before but as I am a history buff I would love to tour the USS Missouri.

thank you for the replies and let us hope that all of us will see the end of this pandemic as soon as possible.

vsd Jun 26th, 2021 05:58 AM

My daughter and her family are flying to Maui July 10 and they have two children - 10 and 5. Will the children need a covid test to enter? My daughter and son-in-law are vaccinated. Thank you.

Christina Jun 26th, 2021 08:07 AM

YOu dont' say where she is flying from, which I think makes a big difference, and where they were vaccinated. However, this site isn't official but says the governor didn't address children in the announcement but they presume the rules will be the same as now, after all, they aren't vaccinated and children get/transmit COVID also. Which means they do need testing 72 hrs pre for ages 5+.

https://www.hawaii-guide.com/hawaii-covid-testing

that looks like a good user-friendly site to review, this is the relevant quote
... the Governor did not directly address this topic in his press release. At this time, to the best of our knowledge, all children ages five (5) and olderwho are not vaccinated will still need to follow the current pre-travel testing procedures. This means anyone not vaccinated, including children ages 5-17 who have not been vaccinated, would be subject to the 72-hour pre-travel test timeline as well. We will continue to monitor this situation closely and update this page....

vsd Jun 27th, 2021 05:12 AM

Thanks Christina. They are flying from Arizona.

Shar Jun 27th, 2021 02:44 PM

currently yes but not after July 8. proof of vaccine is all that will be necessary

Shar Jun 27th, 2021 02:46 PM

good question. they are not eligible for vaccines. I would check with hawaii.gov for an answer