Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New question! We will be in Boston area July 6 thru 12, help with itiniary

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will stay in Boston July 6,7,8. We then will start our drive to Plimouth Plantation. How much time is recommended when visiting? They have the 2 day combo pass, is it worth it? What would you recommend after Plimouth? We will be flying out of Logan Airport on July 12. Any suggestions are welcome. Patti
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 01:13 PM

It's just a 20-30 minute ride from Plimouth Plantation to the Cape Cod Canal. I would spend the rest of my time there.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 03:46 PM
lvk

What does the 2-day combo pass entail? We bought a family membership to the Plimoth Plantation "society", which included a one year's worth of visits to the Plantation, Wax Museum, Mayflower II for the entire family. It was cheaper than 5 single-day admissions. One day was enough to see all of these things, and to stop for lunch at the "Lobster Hut" in between.

If you would like to spend 2 days in Plymouth, maybe you could arrange for a whale watching trip on day 2? I think Capt. John's still operates out of Plymouth.

Oh, and be prepared to be "underwhelmed" by Plymouth Rock.

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Difficult to imagine what one would do with a 2-day combo pack. Plimouth Plantation is a 3-4 hour visit, in my opinion. A few miles away is the infamous Plymouth Rock - an average looking rock in a wire mesh cage. Very silly. There is a recreation of Mayflower near the Rock - OK if you are there anyway, but not worth a special visit.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:17 PM

If you are planning an educational trip with elementary school kids, then yes you could stretch things for 2 days. You could also fly thru it in 3-4 hours. If you've seen one dirt shack and horrendous conditions, you've seen them all. Again, what ages are traveling with you? That will help determine a direction. You might consider a night in Newport RI to shockingly compare the Pilgrims to the Vanderbilts and american progress....