New Princeville/Hanalei food stops

Old Nov 1st, 2011, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Princeville/Hanalei food stops

Northshore Kaua`i residents like me are doing a happy dance, with the addition of two new local-kine dining options having opened within just the last two weeks or so.

In Hanalei (Ching Young Village), an L&L Drive-Inn/Hawaiian Barbecue eatery opened at Ching Young Village (in the slot that has housed a myriad of small, mostly take-out eateries over the years). Thsi is the place to go for authentic plate lunch in Hanalei -- a much-loved Hawaiian food franchise:
http://hawaiianbarbecue.com/live/menu/the-ll-menu/

In the Princeville Center food court, what was orginally an all-Thai takeout place, is now under new ownership and offering a varied Chinese/Mongolian/Thai menu. No steam tables here -- everything is cooked to order (ala carte) and MSG-free. Most entrees are in the $8-$10 range, and are easily a portion for 2.

Just south of here in Anahola, the DeFries Lunch Wagon offers great plate lunch (and HUGE tasty shave ice) Monday thru Friday -- homecooked by the DeFries family, long-time #1 catering masters on our island. Can't miss their bright yellow wagon, on the highway at top of the hill in Anahola. No website, but they've got a Facebook page with photos and daily menu.
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM

is it just me or am i the only that thinks it's weird people are excited about the L&L opening there? i can eat at the one right down the street from my house; i don't want to go to a chain when i'm in hawaii!!
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 02:03 PM

toncasmo, we saw the L&L when we were in Kauai last month and laughed about it. We too (who have admittedly never eaten at one) can eat at any number of L&L locations in the Bay Area and would never think to eat at one in Hawaii of all places!

BTW, we had shave ice at the DeFries truck. It was good (and yes it was huge) but still not as good as Aoki's in Haleiwa.
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 05:23 AM

bookmarking
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 04:06 PM
P_M

We don't have L&L in my neck of the woods so we might try in when we are in Kauai. Thanks for the info.