Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Priceline Policy: OK to rebid for hotel after 24 hours instead of 72!

Mar 7th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Just read on betterbidding.com that Priceline now allows rebidding (same parameters) for hotels after 24 hours rather than 72 hours! Good news!
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:12 PM

Thanks for alerting us...this might make me start using them again.
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:29 AM

Cool!
Thanks for the info.
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Topping for those who have missed this info the first time.
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM

That's great! Thanks, Betsy.
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Great info!~!~ Its going to make planning so much more fun!
Mar 21st, 2006, 05:02 AM

Missed that one! Thanks!
Mar 21st, 2006, 05:09 AM
GoTravel

I usually do so much homework, I can get my hotel with my first round of bidding.

Mar 21st, 2006, 06:55 AM
JJ5

This is great news. I'll use it even more now. Without studying the other url sites, I got the best yet deal in Toronto for the end of May. And it was exactly the hotel I wanted. Without Priceline, I would not be doing 1/2 of my baseball trips.

Thanks, Priceline and Thanks, Betsy.
Mar 21st, 2006, 08:16 AM

You can't always get your hotel the first time you bid on Priceline no matter how much research you do. Sometimes Priceline doesn't get inventory from hotels until the last weeks or months before check-in. I have seen this personally.

The best strategy is usually to book your best deal on your own first (and be able to cancel it) then keep trying Priceline closer to arrival date. That way, if you strike out with Priceline you still have something.

Andrew
Mar 21st, 2006, 08:25 AM
GoTravel

Andrew, I always get my hotel on my first round of bidding.

I do enough research that this is the case for me.

Mar 21st, 2006, 09:12 AM

I have never used Priceline and was wondering how the bidding works. Can you bid on a particular hotel or among a choice of hotels, or just for any hotel in a general area?
Can you submit high/low bids such as on Skyauction, or just one at a time?
Re the info in the first post, does it mean that if your first bid is not accepted, you wait 24 hours and then try again? What strategy would you use for the second bid? Slightly higher?
TIA for any info.
Mar 21st, 2006, 09:15 AM

betsy,

great news--thanks for the heads up.
Mar 21st, 2006, 09:51 AM

panecott, there is a lot of info about how to use Priceline at sites like BiddingForTravel. In short: no, you can't bid on a particular hotel, and you can only bid once price at a time. If you bid $45 a night and Priceline can't meet that price, they reject it; you can then change something in your bid (add a zone, reduce quality level, change dates) and re-bid again. Or you can wait 24 hours and try again (at the same or higher price). You don't find out the name of the hotel until your bid is accepted and Priceline reservations are non-changeable/non-refundable.

The key to using Priceline is sites like BFT that show you which hotels have already come up and for what prices (recently) so you are not bidding blindly. For example, I bid for Lake Union in Seattle recently and I knew that the three 2.5 star hotels that others have gotten there were the Residence Inn, the Courtyard by Marriott, and the Silver Cloud Inn. I decided that any of these three were acceptable; I also checked rates at all three so I would know how much I could get these for without Priceline, so I knew not to bid too high. No need to bid $130 on Priceline when you can get one of the likely hotels for $129 on your own, right? Research is the key.

Andrew
Mar 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM

panecott, go into biddingfortravel.com. Under "Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)" section, click on "Hotels" and then go to "Hotel FAQ." Read and understand thoroughly the 31 points before you bid on priceline.
Mar 21st, 2006, 11:03 AM

GoTravel, does trhis mean you don't bid when your research reveals sold-out situations? This is the only way I can figure that research would always yield a room on the first bid. I have had great luck with Priceline, and some outstanding deals, but I can't claim to always get a room on the first bid. Also, I find that Priceline works much better at some of my destinations than others. For example, I've always gotten a room in Mexico City, not so in New York or Miami.
Mar 21st, 2006, 11:15 AM
GoTravel

marilyn, I don't think I've ever gotten a priceline room on the first bid but I am successful on the first round of bidding.

There are some situations where I just don't bother bidding and use Hotwire.

Mar 21st, 2006, 11:28 AM
JJ5

Yes, that's what I have found too, marilynl. I use Priceline about 5 or 6 times a year now, and I use Hotwire about 2 or 3 times a year. Hotwire is never as low as my winning Priceline bids are but the availability is sometimes there. Not always the case with Priceline at late dates in my experience.

Sometimes timing means everything. I haven't had any great luck with Priceline under the 3 week mark. Luck, but not GREAT luck. But with being able to rebid in 24 hours now, that means they are still having some openings- so maybe it IS getting better and it really means that there are more vacancies Priceline is slated to fill.

In the Toronto market I got a room for 3 nights that is less than 1/4 of the rack rate and it is exactly the one I wanted. But I got it 3 full months ahead. I've had great luck in Chicago, St. Louis, NYC, Ft. Lauderdale, KC, Sarasota, and Detroit. I did not have luck in SF and resorted to Hotwire, but loved the kitchenettes we had there.

I have called direct to match $$ for an extra day and/or for friends (1 more room) and they have never matched my Priceline price. Others have said that this has been matched for them by phone.

Usually I win with my second or third bid. I underbid for a reason. I may be wrong, but my first instinct is, if reading all the stats and then bidding and always getting a first bid- you just may be bidding more than you REALLY need to bid. If it doesn't matter to you, then it makes no difference.