Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New participants: read this before you post!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 08:53 AM
Beware

Lately, there has been a trend on this board to viciously attack anyone with the poor judgment to actually start a new thread. Someone will make an observation(gas prices; high speed rail; pet peeves; objections to rudeness; ideas on how the board should work), and several anonymous people will go after them, question their sanity and intellect, tell them to get a life, all in the most rude terms.

So if you are new and have anything to say other than a request for a hotel, think twice before you post here. You will likely be ripped a new one and have your head handed to you before you are drawn and quartered. Know that this will happen and be prepared for it.

Regular contributors: Long ago, the punishment for starting a dumb thread was silence. Is there any way we can all agree to stop flaming people who start threads? Can we start with this thread?

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 11:05 AM
Max

Blame it on the hot, hunid weather maybe? Maybe when school starts and all the kiddies are back in school we can have our board back.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 02:23 PM
anon

we need a name for the people who do that, like trolls to describe fake posts. people who post not to respond to the post, but to make personal attacks, or criticize the post or judge whether the post is irrelevant need a name too. not talking about genuine and respectful differences of opinion but just snipe wars to be mean. people who behave this way are just being crabby, so we should call them 'crabs'.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 09:39 PM
brother

Children!children!! It is not becoming to be so rude--in all good faith, you insult the God above us...where is all the meaness coming from. "can't we all just get along?"

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 04:53 AM
nancy

I like Anon's suggestion.
I had started to call them The Rude Ones.
But I think crabs is good.
nancy

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 07:04 AM
also

I would also say to new posters- don't let the annoying, sarcastic posters get to you. There are out there but they are the minority (I like to think so). I don't know if it's so much kids out of school that post though. I think there are a lot of crabby adults judging by the types of things they complain about- such as anyone asking a question without first doing a search, etc. I have to agree the best way to discourage "crabs" is to ignore them. But to the new posters- just keep posting and ignore annoying responses. Also I will not be using my real e-mail address until some type of registration is put in place because I have no interest in receiving personal e-mail from any of these crabby people.

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 11:16 AM
S.F.

Read this before you post: If your post begins "why do people . . ." and supposedly asks for an explanation of actions that bug you, think twice. It will be read as a complaint and judgment, and it will be responded to in the same manner. Ask yourself if you are actually looking for information that will help you plan your travels or just venting. If you just want to get other people to agree with you that something is annoying, you are instigating yet another forum brawl.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 04:45 PM
Tara

People, get a life. Ignore the posts. You're so ignorant.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 07:47 PM
toosadtosay

Having been wandering out on the various NBA posts (my second passion to traveling), I thought I knew what rudeness was all about. I come here seeking a safe haven of rest and repose and discover this sad state of affairs.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 03:58 PM
Debbie Valencia

Why would anyone even lose a minute's sleep over someone making a derogatory statement regarding an opinion they posted. Get a life people, opinions are like asses, we all have one. You are all a bunch of whiners. My 10 year old daughter doesn't whine as much. Maybe you could all use a little cheese and crackers with that whine.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 04:38 PM
xxx

Debbie:

You are an idiot. To say no one ought to be bothered if they are insulted is about the dumbest thing anyone has said in this travel lounge in quite a while. How will you ever raise a 10-year old if you yourself are a total moron? Is your husband a fool, too, or do you even have a husband?

Golly gee, unwarranted personal insults can get under your skin, can't they? Oh well, it's just an internet discussion board, so grow up.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 04:56 PM
Debbie's Husband

Debbie's asbolutely right ther mistr xxx''
she defnately does have an ass, boy o boy does she ever/
And I'll tell ya what else, that lithium she takes for her 'little problum' really does make her th eaziest purson in the wurld to get long with /Nuthin' ruffles her tailfethers

an our littlest darlinn doughtr Americus -she wuz born at WalMart y know- she cumplanes bout nuthin// kourse she still lernin to talk pretty good
bye
jed

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 07:22 PM
getalife

To Debbie and Debbie's husband.

This is a travel board. Do you get out much?