Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans...what is the high season? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-what-is-the-high-season-770267/)

computergeek Mar 1st, 2009 12:47 PM

New Orleans...what is the high season?

Thinking of traveling to New Orleans for the first time this year. Other than Mardi Gras, what times of the season are too crowded?

SusanCS Mar 1st, 2009 01:30 PM

I'd say it was anytime from roughly the last of October until spring. August and September are hellish with heat and humidity and June and July are hot, too.

For exact high and low seasons you could look at hotel rates.

Wayne Mar 1st, 2009 02:23 PM

The jazz festival brings horrendous crowds, and the Sugar Bowl activities do also. There are many other sporadic events throughout the year, as there are in any popular city. The temperature, which was reported as terribly hot by one poster, is not really all that bad unless you are from a northern clime and never really experienced warm weather. I would say that there are few events to avoid altogether, and few times of the year to avoid. As one person noted, your best rates might come in summer, and the city is still the city during the summer. The only caution I would issue is that you should check on the closing of any of the popular attractions and sights you might want to visit. Sometimes they will close for a short period in summer, but this is not the norm for all attractions.

november_moon Mar 1st, 2009 04:44 PM

A couple years ago, we planned to go to NO in mid-May, but had to push our trip back a couple weeks. The difference in hotel rates between mid-May and early June was significant. It seems like the low season starts just after Memorial Day weekend.

computergeek Mar 2nd, 2009 06:56 PM

I am thinking of traveling in late November of this year, after the holidays. I would like a central location, near the trolley, but it does not need to be a 4 star hotel. I do want accommodations above 2 star and would prefer more of a bed and breakfast setting.

highbay Mar 3rd, 2009 06:08 AM

Are you really going to be spending most of your time in the hotel room? When we travel to NOLA, we spend very little time in the hotel, and most of our time walking around the French Quarter. We have been numerous times during late November & during December. We prefer going in December. There are many fine restaurants that offer "Papa Noelle" special fixed price meals during the entire month.
We were there this past December when New Orleans got snow! I prefer to use Priceline...usually get a very nice hotel for $55/night plus tax.

highbay Mar 3rd, 2009 06:09 AM

I wanted to also add that it is NOT busy during that time!

BudgetQueen Mar 3rd, 2009 06:35 AM

I too, have traveled many times in December, it is loaded with activites to consider. I've also gone during Jazz Fest, and will again this year. I find it just fantastic to get to see all those excellent venues for such a CHEAP price- $120 for 3 days. :) (I just paid $360.00 for 2 tickets to see Clapton) Yes there are crowds, but not unmanagable. It's a GREAT city.

SAnParis2 Mar 3rd, 2009 06:41 AM

It is very much like Vegas in that it really depends on events are taking place at a given time, & Summer tends to be the 'off-season' due to the heat & humidity.

november_moon Mar 3rd, 2009 10:34 AM

We stayed at the Place d'Armes last time we were in NO and really liked it. The location is great - less than a block from Jackson Square, on a quiet street but close to everything, about a block from the riverfront street car. It is also closer to Esplanade than Canal, which is the side of the FQ I like best and an easy walk to Faubourg Marigny. The hotel itself is neat - made up of several townhouses with a nice courtyard. It isn't fancy, but clean and comfortable. The only real complaint is that I wished the breakfast was better - it had coffee, juice, and crossants - all of which were good, I just wish that they had a few more things like additional baked items, cereal, fruit, etc.

bkluvsNola Mar 3rd, 2009 11:11 AM

The high seasons in New Orleans are the Sugar Bowl (early January), Mardi Gras (dates vary but happens anytime from early February to mid March), French Quarter Fest (mid April), Jazz Fest (late weekend of April to first weekend of May), and Halloween.

The months of March, April, May, October, and November are generally the busiest overall and July through August and December are the least crowded.

The off season in New Orleans is from right after Memorial Day to right before before the July 4th weekend (Essence Fest is July 4th weekend so rates jump for that), and then after July 4th weekend until right before Labor Day. Labor Day has Southern Decadence so rates are high for that.

The month of December is also a slow month in New Orleans, and the climate is quite mild compared to Northern climates.

If you don't mind the heat and humidity, August is by far the cheapest month in New Orleans. If you can't stand heat and humidity and want cheap rates, December is your only option, as November is still high season. January after the Sugar Bowl is usually quiet as well, but it can get quite cold in January in New Orleans.

computergeek Mar 3rd, 2009 05:22 PM

Thank you for the information. It has helped me decide which month may be the best for my trip. Weather is a factor, and I also don't want to be surrounded by crowds. I would prefer to enjoy the city without the throngs of tourists.