Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans w/ 9 month old? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-w-9-month-old-764540/)

meetntaters Jan 30th, 2009 06:38 AM

New Orleans w/ 9 month old?

Can't decide if it's worth a "free" trip. My wife has a 5-day business trip there in late March and we had pegged that trip to be our first famliy vacation. However, as we near the date to pull the trigger on the plans,I'm feeling a bit nervous. I mean, New Orleans doesn't exactly conjur up too many images of happy families. I know of Katrina, Voodoo, Mardi Gras and beignets. Not exactly Disney. We will be staying at the Renaissance Arts Hotel in the wherehouse district which I'm told is in a good area.
My wife and I have lived in Chicago for 6 years so city life doesn't put the fear of God in us. But having 18 pounds of precious does alter your approach. Should we go ahead or are we trying to force something here?

SAnParis2 Jan 30th, 2009 06:45 AM

My DD (now 6) has been there 3 times, w/no ill effects to date. As I have mentioned on prior posts, her favorite landmark on Bourbon St. is 'The Apple' which is the sign for Temptations, a...ahem... adult establishment. At that age you should be able to put them in a stroller & go + they have the Aquarium & such, riding on the streetcars & just wandering about. NOLA is a very colorful, active place. By all means, make the trip, you won't regret it.

SAnParis2 Jan 30th, 2009 06:48 AM

Also, the youngster may very much like many of the street performers.

november_moon Jan 30th, 2009 02:17 PM

As others have said, there is a lot more to NOLA than Mardi Gras and voodoo :) I'd definitely go. You'll have plenty of vacations once the child is older when you have to take the child's interests into consideration, but at 9 months old, they pretty much go where you go.

SusanCS Jan 30th, 2009 02:32 PM

I'll think you'll be fine with the baby and finding things to entertain all of you.

I do, however, have a few concerns about the Renaissance Arts Hotel. Most of the things you'll want to do will be in the French Quarter or on the edge (the aquarium, etc) and your hotel appears to me to be pretty far away. Have you considered the Hilton Riverfront? It probably won't be as up-to-date, but in my opinion, the location is far better...just next to the aquarium and a couple of blocks from the French Quarter.

GoTravel Jan 30th, 2009 02:39 PM

I think you'll be fine with the baby but consider this, you'll have to go to bed when baby goes down staying in a hotel room.

For that reason only I'd wait unless you can get a suite.

Sunflowerguy03 Feb 2nd, 2009 10:36 AM

New Orleans is what you make it. We honeymooned there and we are not the types that go in for the “fun” of bourbon street, but there is so much more there. It really is what you make it.

capxxx Feb 2nd, 2009 10:46 AM

NO has a great children's museum and a really nice zoo. Strolling down Bourbon street is mellow and happy, with music wafting out of bars and around corners. Begniets for breakfast at an outdoor table are wonderful. You can watch the boats go up and down the river. I say go for it.

Flashback: my 3-year old (now 21) asking why the lady was dancing on the table -- he was concerned that she might fall, but we explained that she was a professional dancer and would not fall.

bkluvsNola Feb 18th, 2009 01:22 PM

When my 4 year old was 9 months old, we took him to New Orleans and he loved it.

As mentioned, the children's museum is nice and the zoo is awesome. I'd also take the 9 month old to the Aquarium of the Americas and the Audubon Insectarium. They are both very kid friendly establishments.

The Renaissance Arts Hotels is one of my favorite hotels in the city. Perfect location and within walking distance to the Children's museum, which is just around the corner.