Reload this Page >

New Orleans streetcars

Search

New Orleans streetcars

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Rob

New Orleans streetcars

We'll be visiting New Orleans in November, and wondering how long it would take on the streetcar from downtown (Canal Street area) to the terminus of the streetcar line uptown? I think it would be a neat way to see some of the Garden District, Tulane, etc., but they look like they go slow that it would take forever. Does anyone know?

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Arabella

I've taken it a few times. It takes maybe 20 minutes each way? There's so much to see along the way that you'll actually wish it went slower so you could get a better look -- especially at the architecture in the Garden District.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 02:10 PM
John

Arabella, your driver must have been "hauling ass" as it usually takes 45 minutes or so to get from Canal Street to the Carrollton/Claiborne endpoint. The speed depends somewhat on street traffic, too, as streetcars are often caught behind idiot drivers who are trying to cross the median and don't notice this huge green thing lumbering down on them!

I usually tell people to get off at Riverbend (near Camellia Grill) and return to downtown. Carrollton Avenue is nice but pales compared to St. Charles Avenue.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 02:13 PM
thereuare

I took the streetcar to the Riverbend and ate at the Camellia Grill (HIGHLY recommended, go for breakfast!!). That trip took about 45-50 minutes and was a great way to go thru the Garden District. On the way back, i got off on Washington(??) and walked to Laffayette's No. 1 Cemetary.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 04:38 PM
KenCT

There's so much to see in NOLA beyond the French Quarter, and I've found that public transportation is the way to go. You can buy an "unlimited ride" pass in several locations, then hop on and off a bus, streetcar, or the shuttle that runs around the Quarter.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Arabella

John, you're probably right. I enjoyed the trip so much and there was so much to see, it seemed to go by very quickly.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Al

Just got back from New Orleans last night. Rode the St. Charles street car while there. I think about 45 minutes is accurate. Consider the Garden District Five Star walking tour. Leaves from the Ponchatrain Hotel (on St. Charles) 10 a.m. & 1:30 p.m. and tours the entire Garden District and one cemetary. About $15 each.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 01:22 PM
e

TTT

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 10:49 AM
mark

I would agree with John--closeer to 45 minutes for that lenght of ride. I also agree to get off at the Riverbend stop--not much past it. Also, if you are hungry--can't beat the Camilla Grill--great food and very unique atmosphere. The streetcars were one of my favorites of NO. Take your time and get off at a few spots and explore the garden district--you'll enjoy it.