Reload this Page >

New Orleans streetcars

Search

New Orleans streetcars

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 08:02 AM
Julia

New Orleans streetcars

Can anyone tell me, do the streetcars run anywhere in New Orleans besides on St. Charles and on the riverfront? According to the map in my New Orleans guide, there's one on Magazine Street and one that goes through the French Quarter and into the Warehouse District, but I can't find anything about them on New Orleans' Regional Transit Authority website. Maybe I'm reading it wrong--- help! Thanks,

Julia

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 08:10 AM
SharonM

The trolley closest to the Quarter does begin (I believe) about a block away off of Canal and continues down on St. Charles...there is also a "makeshift" streetcar that runs from the French market along the river to the port (by the Hilton). I'm not really sure that there is another that runs thru the warehouse district other that the first one I mentioned which does touch Lee Circle at the edge of the district.

Maybe someone else can verify or correct my information...

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:28 AM
kwl

Sharon is correct. The St. Charles Streetcar starts at Canal, runs on the edge of the Warehouse District and then up St. Charles to the end. Then, there is the one that runs (separately) along the river. I'm not sure about the one on Magazine, since we didn't make it up that far on our last trip.

Have fun - I love New Orleans!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:18 AM
John

There are currently two lines: St. Charles and the Riverfront. A third line, Canal, will start running very soon and they have already laid the tracks connecting the Riverfront/St Charles lines. A fourth streetcar line, Desire (yes, THAT Desire) is in the planning stages but if it comes to fruition won't be running for years.

The Magazine Street and Vieux Carre' (French Quarter) lines are operated by buses.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:24 AM
Julia

Thank you everyone, for the good advice.

Julia