New Orleans street food

Old Jan 23rd, 1997, 08:47 AM
J. Baum

New Orleans street food

There is very little in the way of street food in New Orleans. The only vendors I know of are the Lucky Dog vendors that sell hot dogs in the French Quarter. Other than that, you really have to go to restaurants to eat. There is Cafe Du Monde, the famous place to get beignets, at which you can sit at tables outside - it's very photogenic, but it's not street food. Good luck.

Old Jan 25th, 1997, 05:43 PM
Gail R.

Ditto re. lack of street food in N.O. The only thing close might be the Swamp Festival (if they still have it) held at the New Orleans zoo in the fall. There are many vendors selling cajun food for charity, along with cajun dancing and music. Also in the fall in the French Quarter is a street festival with several booths manned by several restaurants and serving local dishes. The festival is held to raise money for charity. Many of the restaurants ore "open air" where the doors are large and the sidewalk almost becomes part of the restaurant, but there are no vendors of street food like there are in NYC.

Old Jan 26th, 1997, 10:56 PM
Nelli Sheffer

Thanks for the information about New Orleans, although I was sorry to realize I have very little to find there.
I am doing a book about street food all over the world and I wonder if there is any prominent street food action anywhere in the US apart from NYC. If you have any idea I will be glad to hear.

Old Jan 26th, 1997, 11:00 PM
Nelli Sheffer

Thanks for your reply. It only made it clear to me that there is nothing for me in New Orleans concerning street food. I am doing a book about street cookery all over the world and I wonder if you have any idea of a place in the US apart from NYC with prominent action around street food.

Old Feb 8th, 1997, 07:47 PM
Bill Hirschfeld

How wrong you are about no street food in New Orleans.
And if you only got a pic of a Lucky Dog cart, it would make a nice centerpiece for your book.
Give it a try.