Reload this Page >

New Orleans - Ruffino's Guest House

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 11:56 AM
Mike

While searching for a new place to stay in the French Quarter, we've come across Ruffino's Guest House. The prices seem unusually reasonable, especially for the location. Does anyone out there have any experiences to share?

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 03:59 PM
Meg

Is it in the 600 block of St. Philip? If so, that's a great location. I have never noticed it, but I will walk by tomorrow and give it a glance and let you know what it looks like.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 04:44 PM
Mike

That's the one Meg. The actual address is 631 St. Phillip. The website quotes prices is the $100-$150 range. The other option is Le Richlieu at $160 per night; we've stayed there before but like the idea of being a little closer to Jackson Square at the lesser price. Thanks for your kind assistance.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 06:36 AM
Meg

Hi, Mike. I walked by it this a.m. I'd never noticed it before b/c I thought it was a private home. It's a traditional townhouse that I think would be an interesting place to stay. Of course, I didn't see the rooms - and it's over a small Irish bar which may be too noisy for you. BUT - if the third floor balcony room is available to rent, I'd be there in a minute - I'm sure the views of the city are great. It's on the side of the street that faces the CBD, the MS River bridge and overlooks the upper end of the Quarter. There is also a second floor balcony, but I've seen views from third floor balconies on that side of the street and know that second floor views are nearly as good - but still... I'd give it a chance. Please give me a follow-up report so I'll know for future reference. Thanks.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Mike

We've just returned from three days in New Orleans. Overall, it was a great trip. We did "take the chance" and stayed at Ruffino's Guest House. It was... okay. I'd say it was on the positive side of mediocre.

On the plus side, it was very much like having an apartment in the French Quarter where someone changed the towels and made the bed for you. The room was essentially an efficiency apartment with a decently equipped kitchen (which we never used except to store drinks in the refrigerator). Having the balcony overlooking the street was nice, especially with the near-perfect weather New Orleans experienced Thursday and Friday. The place was clean, but a bit worn in a way that added some charm to things. It really did feel like we were staying in New Orleans rather than staying in a hotel in New Orleans.

The location was excellent for walking to the areas of the French Quarter we most enjoy - the French Market was a couple of blocks down St. Phillip, Jackson Square was a couple of blocks down Chartres. A C.C.'s Coffeeshop at the corner of St. Phillip and Royal made it faster to walk one-half block to get coffee than waiting on the coffeemaker in the room.

Being situated above Flanagan's Irish Bar, as mentioned in one of the replies above, and across the street from another bar was a bit of a drawback due to noise. We'd expected that things might be wild on St. Patrick's night, but it was actually much louder on Thursday. Being on the third floor rather than the second floor might have helped. Of course, someone who wants to stay close to a friendly, non-touristy watering hole might see this as a real positive. We just spent so much time walking during the days that we really wanted to relax earlier than some folks.

For what its worth, Flanagan's and Ruffino's are operated by the same family. We found everyone helpful when we arrived and as we were departing.

We would not rule out staying at Ruffino's again, but will probably look at some other places in surrounding blocks that appear to be similar in nature. The Andrew Jackson and Rue Royal, along with Villa Convento, all looked like places to try during our next trip down.