Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans restaurant smoking policies (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-restaurant-smoking-policies-96396/)

oregonman Dec 12th, 2000 05:31 PM

New Orleans restaurant smoking policies

I have been scanning these messages for restaurant recommendations in New Orleans and I'd like to thank all of you who have posted your comments on restaurants. With your help I have narrowed things down to a short list of restaurants that I want to try. Bayona is one on my short list because of the reviews I've read in guide books and the comments here. Then I looked at the menu at: <BR>http://www.nolalive.com/tastes/topte...nu_bayona.html <BR>and while the dishes sound great, I was disturbed to see "please refrain from cigar and pipe smoking." at the bottom of the menu. I take that to mean that they allow cigarette smoking. Does anyone know if they have a non smoking section and whether it is well isolated from the smoking section? I hate cigarette smoke. <BR> <BR>Does anyone know how any of my other restaurants on my short list are a problem for people like me who hate cigarette smoke? <BR> <BR>Dooky Chase <BR>Brigtsens <BR>K-Pauls <BR>Peristyle <BR>Nola <BR>Upperline <BR>Bacco <BR>Marisol <BR>Louis XVI <BR>Cafe Sbisa

Rob Dec 13th, 2000 06:23 AM

KPaul's, Bayona, and Brightsens are no smoking...outside only. Peristyle allows smoking at the bar as does the Upperline. <BR>Rob

John Dec 13th, 2000 07:04 AM

Be aware that bars can be VERY smoky in New Orleans if the weather is cool since they close the doors and the smoke is trapped inside. As for restaurants, it's pretty hit or miss but I've never found cigarette smoking to be objectionable while dining in N.O.

native Dec 13th, 2000 06:16 PM

I live in N.O. and just thought that I would answer some fodor questions while reviewing info for my trip to Europe. Anyway smoke gives me migraines and causes asmatic reactions. I really HATE it. <BR>The point is I have never been to a restaurant here that didn't have a non-smoking section. <BR>Once, I was put on the edge of the smoking/non-smoking border. I nicely asked the waitress for another table. No problem. We are very laid back down here. Be nice and you can get anything you want. <BR> <BR>Don't worry about the smoke in restaurants, but bars are another story. Very smoky!! I can't even go in one anymore. <BR> <BR>I didn't notice on your short list any Brennan restaurants. They are the Best!! <BR> <BR>I would recommend that you go to Commanders Palace for LUNCH. They have a fixed price meal, its great. The same meal at dinner a la carte could cost 3x the price. Get the Chocolate fudge sheba for desert if you are a choc. freak like me. <BR> <BR>Have fun, Be careful and stay off the back streets!

oregonman Dec 14th, 2000 06:58 AM

Thanks all for your help. <BR> <BR>native, <BR>I'm not sure which restaurants are Brennan restaurants. Commanders Palace was on my short list until I saw several messages here and I think elsewhere that said they had very bad experiences there. I know that there were also replies saying that they had nothing but great experiences there, but I don't want to spend that much money if there is a chance that they might have a bad night. Perhaps I will take your advice and try them for lunch. <BR> <BR>For your Europe trip: I was in France last year and none of the restaurants had non smoking sections. I avoided the smoke as much as I could by eating early when the restaurants were not crowded. Many restaurants in London also do not have non-smking sections.

native Dec 14th, 2000 09:39 AM

Definitely go to Commanders for lunch. They really are great and the price for lunch without drinks should be about 25 to 35 per person for soup, salad, entree, desert, coffee and tea. They also serve fresh bread and fried zucchini when you first sit down. Ignore the horror stories, I am sure some people have had bad experiences at all the best restaurants, but they are very rare. <BR> <BR>Other Brennan restaurants are: Mr. B's Bistro(very dark, I still love it)in the French Quarter, Palace Cafe on Canal Street (bright and kind of noisy), The Redfish Grill (never been there) and Brennan's (my least favorite) on Royal. I think the family owns another restaurant but I can't think of it now, its a steak house. <BR> <BR>Also, another good and fun restaurant to go to is Margarittaville. Its casual and has live bands. <BR> <BR>I like K-Pauls, but I find it kind of expensive and the food tastes the same as the food at Copeland's which is a lot cheaper. <BR> <BR>The Intercontinental Hotel has a great restaurant for Sunday brunch called the Veranda room with live music. It is very elegant too, wear "church" clothes. <BR> <BR>When are you coming here? You know it is almost always too hot and too humid. During the day they even let you in most nice restaurants in decent shorts outfits, call to find out about this. You don't want to tour in long pants or a suit during the day, you'll sweat to death. <BR>

oregonman Dec 14th, 2000 11:45 AM

native, <BR>Thanks for the info. I am going to be there 12/24 - 12/30. Unfortunately many of the best restaurants are closed 12/24 - 12/26. As an aside, anyone know any good restaurants open those days? I've seen the other postings on that subject, so don't bother responding if you have already posted. The Bistro at Maison de Ville is open, but booked at dinner. They offered a lunch time seating, but I am not going to spend $45 per person for lunch. Begues is open, but serving a buffet. I am wary that the food will not be up to normal standards. Zoe Bistro is open, but said they were serving a christmas dinner of Turkey, ham and something else for $45. I'm not going to spend that kind of money for turkey. How is Pat O's? They are open, I think. <BR> <BR>I have to go to K-Pauls, but I'll go for lunch due to the high prices at dinner. I can't miss it because I have many Paul Prudhomme cookbooks and am constantly amazed at how good all his recipes are. About 90% of his recipes that I try, I love. There is no other cookbook author where I have even half that success rate.

native Dec 14th, 2000 12:14 PM

I found out K-Pauls is open that 12/26/2000. I actually made a lunch reservation for you on that day. I will email the details to you. Ignore the reservation if you don't want it. No obligation to go. I suppose you left you your correct address. If the email address is not write and you want the info, post here and I will put all details down. <BR>P.S. Restaurant is not big & will book up quickly.

Meg Dec 14th, 2000 04:10 PM

Redfish Grill is an excellent place for a first timer to experience the Brennan restaurants. It's casual - you can walk in off the street after wandering the Quarter and have a nice lunch. The menu has something for everyone and the prices aren't as steep as Commander's or Palace Cafe. The other Brennan place is Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse which is good if you want steak in the Quarter. Mr. B's has great BBQ shrimp. I think Bacco is a Brennan's place as well. Brennan's is run by the other part of the Brennan family that recently filed a lawsuit against Dickie Brennan - something about the steakhouse logo. I've never eaten at Brennan's and from what I've heard of late, it's no great loss to miss it. If you want to do a big brunch, I'd choose Commander's over Brennan's. <BR> <BR>I enjoy K-Paul's, but I'd suggest going for lunch - same food as dinner but better prices. It's good food - and I don't think Copeland's even comes close to it. Bayona is one of our favorites. If you want to go to one of Emeril's places, NOLA is the place. Peristyle is also an excellent choice. I haven't been to Cafe Sbisa in a couple of years but enjoyed it last time I was there. I recently went to Upperline for the first time and was disappointed. It was good, but it's not a place I'm anxious ot rush back to anytime soon.