Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-restaurant-445633/)

Hoosierhusker Oct 9th, 2008 08:52 AM

New Orleans restaurant

My husband and I are going to New Orleans for our anniversary Oct 24-26. I get to pick the restaurant for "the" dinner, so I need help! I've been to NO several times (only once post-Katrina), and while it's my favourite city in the US for food, I can't pick one stand out. It doesn't have to be expensive; we just want a nice place to relax for a few hours with great food, drinks, and service to celebrate our special occasion. Suggestions are very much appreciated. THANKS!

BWBlakely Oct 9th, 2008 11:11 AM

My wife & I have been to New Orleans 3 times, and our favorite is The Commander's Palace. We also had our 25th Anniversary Dinner there, and while it's not cheap, it won't set off an earthquake in your wallet...and it's worth every penny!

bleason Oct 9th, 2008 11:21 AM

Commanders is great, but there are so many in the Quarter. I suggest Mr. B's Bistro on Royal and Iberville.

Bleason

Hoosierhusker Oct 10th, 2008 08:13 AM

Thank you for the suggestions! I have some deeper digging to do. I've always "wanted" to go to Commander's Palace, but have never made it out of the FQ for a meal (as you say, Bleason, there "are so many" right there!) Thanks again!

dfr4848 Oct 10th, 2008 08:40 AM

Hoosier - Commander's has been a favorite of ours as well. There have been several recent threads on NO restaurants. You might do a search on here for lots of recommendations.

Bird Oct 10th, 2008 10:16 AM

Another vote for Commander's Palace. (You might want to make a reservation now.)

I also like:

Bayona
Peristyle
Palace Cafe

Hoosierhusker Oct 10th, 2008 12:08 PM

Thank you dfr484 and Bird! I will check out your suggestions, and search more on this site! Things are leaning toward Commander's.

kmd Oct 10th, 2008 12:16 PM

Peristyle, the restaurant no longer exists. Wolfe's has opened in its place and the bar inside the restaurant was to keep the name of Peristyle. Haven't been here yet, but Wolfe's in the warehouse district is wonderful!

dfr4848 Oct 10th, 2008 01:00 PM

Hoosier - 2 of our other favorites are Pascal's Manale and Galatoire's.

RSM2507 Oct 10th, 2008 02:07 PM

My fave is Palace Cafe. Been to Commanders too many times to count. Got tired of paying $25 for a glass of orange juice. Too touristy for me.....

SusanCS Oct 10th, 2008 02:16 PM

We've been going to NO for 40 years and have never been without at least one trip to Commander's Palace. It's expensive, but in my opinion is much less touristy than restaurants in the French Quarter. And the food is wonderful and consistent.

uptowngirl2418 Oct 10th, 2008 02:29 PM

Here is the 2007 top rated New Orleans restaurants by Zagat. Sorry, I don't have 2008.

Commander's Palace was No. 1 for 17 years in a row, but is not in this list since they were closed at the time due to Katrina.

August
Brigtsen's
Bayona
Stella!
Alberta
Cuvee

Other good ones....

Dick & Jenny's
K-Paul's
Clancy's
Irene's
Lilette
La Petite Grocery

moldyhotelsaregross Oct 10th, 2008 04:30 PM

Definitely skip Court of Two Sisters while there. I was incredibly disappointed by it when there in August.

Muriel's is a nice choice but I'd say that Commander's beats it.

BayouGal Oct 10th, 2008 05:16 PM

Hoosierhusker, for a cheaper alternative to Commander's for dinner, try Commander's for brunch. The weather should be nice, so you could sit outside. This way you could get Commander's and can try another choice for dinner. I love K-Paul's. Good luck, and have fun! :)

Dutch Oct 10th, 2008 06:24 PM

I haven't been to NOLA since pre-Katrina, but some of my favorites were:

Palace Cafe
Irene's Cuisine (I love the Rosemary Chicken)
Rib Room
Le Salon for afternoon tea
Commander's Palace for Sunday Brunch

Pick up a muffaleta (sp?) at Central Grocery to eat on the way home.

gyppielou Oct 10th, 2008 06:35 PM

Lillette

notbob Oct 10th, 2008 08:19 PM

HOosier - Bayona- Susan Spicer is supposedly cooking again.
If you want to get out of the Quarter and don't want to go to Commander's Palce then Brigsten's in the Riverbend area. Just off the St Charles Ave trolley.

lucci Oct 11th, 2008 07:04 AM

Notbob,

Have you been to Brigsten's recently? I was there about 4 years ago and it was wonderful. Oh, thanks for th BarBQue info in Memphis.

Lucci

notbob Oct 11th, 2008 08:56 AM

No, unfortunately I haven't. But have heard that it is still great.

Hoosierhusker Oct 12th, 2008 10:15 AM

Thanks BayouGal! Is Commander's brunch only on Sunday? We have an early a.m. flight, so our Sunday is shot. :( Do you (or anyone else here) know if Commander's still has the $15/3-course lunch option? Someone mentioned it in an earlier thread (from January), but there's nothing on Commander's website. But their $.25 martinis would certainly help our usual beverage bill!

And again, thank you all who have posted. I've started a list of possibilities and still need to do further research, but you've all provided me with so much to work with. Reading your replies here and searching previous threads, I'm only reminded of why I love NOLA and the magic that draws me there again and again. There are way too many dining suggestions to squeeze in in this brief visit, but happily that means we'll just HAVE to return to try them all out.