Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans: please help plan a great day for hubby (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-please-help-plan-a-great-day-for-hubby-802959/)

kellbell Aug 25th, 2009 08:37 AM

New Orleans: please help plan a great day for hubby

My husband and I are going to New Orleans October 8 - 11 for a friend's wedding. I've been to NOLA once in 2003 and LOVED it. . . I cannot wait to go back. My husband has never been. We are arriving early Thursday morning to have a day to ourselves to explore before the wedding festivities begin. I want to plan a special day on Thursday to take in some of the sights that we might not see once the wedding events start to roll.

I would love some help and suggestions for planning the day on Thursday. I know that we'll be seeing much of the French Quarter. . . the rehearsal dinner is at Muriel's, we will be going with the bride one morning to Cafe DuMonde, local music at Rock and Bowl is on the itinerary for Thursday night. So now I need to fill in some of the "holes" in what to see/do/eat!

We are staying at Loft 523 on Gravier Street in the Central Business District. I was thinking we could drop off our bags and head to the Garden District for lunch and sightseeing.

Lunch options: I was thinking Joey K's or Casamento's. Thoughts? Other recommendations in the Garden District?

Activities: Considering a cemetary tour (if they are available on Thursday afternoons) or maybe riding the St. Charles Streetcar (from where to where?); shopping up and down Magazine Street (I like funky/bohemian. . . any suggestions on cool/unique stores?).

Dinner options: I've eaten at Peristyle and NOLA during my 2003 visit. I've heard good things about Bayona. What are the other great restaurants that I should consider for dinner -- we are foodies, but we don't like formal. . .we go for small, energetic, ecclectic.

We have some time on Friday before the rehearsal dinner, too. I'm thinking the WWII Museum (which I did in 2003 and loved it). Any other NOLA sights that we should be careful not to miss??

Thanks for your help!! I am sooooo excited to go back to NOLA!

ccolor Aug 25th, 2009 09:11 AM

On suggestion about your plans - instead of a cemetery tour in itself, how about a Gray Line city tour that includes a stop at one? That way you can get lots of information about the city and still have about 10 minutes at a cemetery. Gray Line is located by the Jax Brewery and they offer AAA discounts also. Have fun!!

SAnParis2 Aug 25th, 2009 09:15 AM

Nola is one of the few cities that I don't plan too much for...there is hardly a better place to wander.

SAnParis2 Aug 25th, 2009 09:17 AM

http://www.nomcvb.com/ This will provide UTD goings on as you get closer. I always look on here for events, festivals, who is playing where, etc.

dfr4848 Aug 25th, 2009 09:29 AM

Pascal's Manale for your lunch suggestion in Garden District. Great oyster bar, excellent BBQ shrimp (NO style, not southwestern), great crab remoulade. On Napoleon, just off St Charles. Take the St Charles street car to Napoleon exit - short 2 block walk. Makes for a great outing. Also good for dinner, but thought it would fit the idea of nice trip to the District and great food.

Bayona's is good. Always like Commander's.

As far as the Quarter goes, agree with SAnParis - just wander; don't plan too much.

kellbell Aug 25th, 2009 09:32 AM

Thanks so far for the suggestions! I'm a planner, my husband is definitely a wanderer. So, I imagine we'll have a nice compromise. Where can I pick up the St. Charles Street car near our hotel? I've looked at the public transit routes a bit, but any quick helpful pointers would be appreciated. I'd like to stay out of taxis as much as possible and walk or use street cars as much as possible.

SAnParis2 Aug 25th, 2009 09:37 AM

I topped a post from a month or so ago which you may find helpful.

kellbell Aug 25th, 2009 09:47 AM

SAnParis2. . . I just read your trip report! Thanks! The Dirty Linen night. . . is that something that happens frequently? Need to look into. Also, I think the wedding couple has planned a night at Snug Harbor, so I'm excited to do that.

Hope we have better weather than you had!!! LOL!

dfr4848 Aug 25th, 2009 10:47 AM

To catch the streetcar, walk up a couple of blocks to St Charles from Gravier. Should be able to catch it anywhere in that area. One stop we always catch is in front of the Intercontinental Hotel which is near corner of St Charles and Poydras.

kellbell Aug 25th, 2009 11:09 AM

dfr. . . thank you! so much more fun than a cab!

SAnParis2 Aug 26th, 2009 04:45 AM

"Dirty Linen Night" is a recent addition to the Summer Scene in Nola & was created in response to "White Linen Night" which is done in another 'art area'. I believe they are on consecutive weekends every year. I always look for gallery 'openings' for new exhibits while in town, as they can oftentimes be quite fun.

MollyM Sep 4th, 2009 06:21 AM

I've also heard really good things about Bayona but have never been. I went to Mr. B's and absolutely loved it! You must get the barbequed shrimp and the pecan pie. To die for!

SAnParis2 Sep 4th, 2009 06:51 AM

Mr. B's is my favorite place for Sunday brunch.

november_moon Sep 4th, 2009 08:15 AM

We've taken a couple walking tours with the Historic New Orleans Walking Tour Company that we really enjoyed - did the French Quarter tour and the Cemetery/Voodoo tour which goes to St. Louis cemetery #1, right outside the FQ. They do a Garden Distric tour as well, so you could do a Garden District day with a walking tour, a ride or two on the streetcar, and a nice lunch. For our own personal tastes, we like walking tours a lot more than coach tours, even though you see fewer places, we like that you see more of the places you do go.