New Orleans Plantation and Swamp Tours

Jul 12th, 2001, 06:41 PM
susie

New Orleans Plantation and Swamp Tours

Has anyone taken swamp or plantation tours with a group called Tours by Isabelle? If so, are they worth the rather hefty price? Any other suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 13th, 2001, 07:10 AM
KATHY

I was just there last week and didn't do a plantation tour, but I did do a swamp tour and it was great. I did the swamp tour with Dr Wagner's Honey Island Swamp tours. I had them pick me up at my hotel in the French Quarter, so the drive to the swamp also included a narrated city tour. The cost including transportation was $40 per person. If you drive yourself to the swamp it is $20 per person. This swamp tour was fun, educational, and interesting.

Another great tour is to take the Creole Queen Battlefield Cruise. It goes to Chalemte where the Battle of New Orleans was faught. Its really fun, interesting, educational, and relaxing. I don't remember the exact price, but I think it was about $16 per person.

Jul 13th, 2001, 07:47 PM
trvlgrl

Don't know about Isabelle tours. We just got back from New Orleans and did both a swamp tour and plantation tour. We chose an eco-friendly tour with "Mr. Denny" and saw..count 'em...
f-o-u-r-t-e-e-n alligators that day! It was unbelievable! He said that was a record. We navigated into areas the bigger boats couldn't. The scenery was great, the tour was well worth it, and the cost was $20/adult. Not sure where you're staying, but he is near Slidell, about a 45 minute drive from the French Quarter. For the plantation tour we chose Oak Alley. It was nice to walk the grounds, but probably would've skipped the guided tour for the price. Another nearby plantation to Oak Alley that was recommended was Laura's, but we didn't make it there. enjoy!

Jul 14th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Meg

I live in N.O., so I've never used Tours by Isabelle, but I did look at her website and thought the prices were high, but I didn't compare them to other tour operators. I would still go with Isabelle over Greyline just because it would be a smaller tour. If you are going to have a car, you could easily do the plantation tour on your own. Oak Alley, Laura and a few other are easy to get to, and there are several located close together. I agree that Oak Alley grounds are incredible, but I didn't care for the guided tour given by a high school girl in an antebellum dress whose only answer to all questions posed was "I don't know" with no attempt to find out the answer. Laura, on the other hand, has an extremely interesting and informative guided tour.

I can't recommend a particular swamp tour company, but my husband has done one near Slidell. A half day tour is more than enough - especially at this time of the year. There are also airboat tours that you can take instead of the small pirogues. Many of the operators provide transportation to and from your hotel.

Hope you have a great trip.

Jul 14th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Vic

We did the swamp tour about 8 years ago with my eight year old daughter. The only thing I can add is that there is a minor industry in swamp tours as you drive from New Orleans to Lafayette.

We just stopped at a guy's house with a tour sign out front. The three of us got into his boat and floated around. There are people living in the swamps without mail service (that says a lot about how someone lives). Anyway he introduced us to some of his friends as we floated by. We asked him all manner of questions during our tour. We never would have learned nearly as much on a larger tour. We saw a lot of exotic birds and an alligator. My daughter quite impressed.

We went in the spring. I don't have to tell you not to go in the summer. Not just because of the heat but the bugs.

Jul 14th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Rob

We use Isabelle ALL the time! They are a little higher BUT you are not herded like cattle onto a bus with a stinky toilet in back....she uses mini vans. We always get great reviews from our guests. We also recommend Cypress Swamp Tours because they have a half day swamp & plantation tour....lots of our guests do not want to give up a full day for plantation or swamps.
Rob