New Orleans over Christmas- hotels/inns?

Old Jul 14th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans over Christmas- hotels/inns?

Hey All!

My boyfriend and I have decided that we're really going to embrace our first southern holiday season and head a little further south to New Orleans for Christmas this year.

Neither of us have ever been to New Orleans before so we're looking for suggestions on places to stay, eat, and things to do and so on. Most people have suggested the wander and explore method which is our usual go-to, and we will probably stick mostly to the French Quarter.

We were originally planning on driving down (we live in Chattanooga, TN, an hour or so north of Atlanta) but have heard from several people that you neither need nor want a car- particularly in the French Quarter, and that with added fees for overnight parking at either hotels or a garage it might just be cheaper to bus or train it down.

We're on a fairly tight budget and would like to keep our accommodation costs down which I realize might be tricky given our chosen location. We aren't picky about fancy amenities, and honestly we're there to enjoy the city, not the hotel spa. I'd rather a small inn or b&b that gives you a real New Orleans feel and am perfectly fine without wifi (the horror, I know), thousand count sheets, or a shuttle to the airport. Noise level isn't an issue- we love the nightlife and its probably a courtesy to others we not be on a "quiet" street anyways A few folks have mentioned sites like Priceline where you can bid on rates, I'm unfamiliar w the process but certainly don't mind working a bit for a better deal.

My other major question is about Christmas in town- a little googling didn't come up with much. Any special events or menus going on that week? We are not even religious in the slightest and have zero desire to attend any mass or other religious goings on.

We are tentatively planning on arriving the Sunday or Monday (22nd/23rd) before, and leaving before New Years (I'm assuming there ARE big events for New Years and hotel prices will jump?). Any advice on length of the visit/days to stay?

We love food, I'm a vegetarian and we both just appreciate a nice meal out w drinks- prefer authentic, quirky, off the beaten path type places. We also enjoy music and nightlife and at least for this trip I think our focus will be more on that end of the spectrum versus checking out museums and historic sites.
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 11:03 AM

You want to stay in the French Quarter . .

Some of Our favrites that are in the Quarter:

Dauphine Orleans http://www.dauphineorleans.com/

Iberville Suites http://www.ibervillesuites.com/

Monteleone http://hotelmonteleone.com/

le Richelieu http://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/

The food selection is endless in NO . .
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 11:20 AM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
The coldest Christmas I can remember was the one I spent in New Orleans, freezing (literally) and damp and our accommodation short on heat. So check the forecasts and pack accordingly. I actually have been in colder places, just wasn't expecting it there.
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

I'm from the Berkshires. I'd probably laugh at New Orleans idea of cold weather But will definitely bring some layers!

Rich- as lovely as those hotels look they're pretty much what we're trying to -avoid-. I think it's safe to cross off any place w an in-house spa, a lobby that's on any "must see Christmas display" lists, heated salt-water roof top pools and 24/7 fitness complexes. If it's boasting itself as "luxury" chances are it is more than I want to spend with a lot of extras I neither want nor would take advantage of.

A clean, safe place to sleep that's close to the action is what we're looking for- if there's some authentic charm thrown in all the better. We're a young couple traveling the country, pretty casual.
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 12:29 PM

"A clean, safe place to sleep that's close to the action is what we're looking for- if there's some authentic charm thrown in all the better."

A perfect description of our place without heat enough for the season. Good luck Berkshire, it was Montreal to which I referred.

Maybe you'll be lucky but spending a bit more for a place that's warm in all weather might be a consideration. I'll stop beating the dead horse now.
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Haha I don't mind spending extra to ensure the living spaces are heated- it's spending extra to ensure the rooftop pool is heated I have a problem with

Is there really nothing between "no central heat" and places w a five star spa attached?
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 07:28 AM

The Provincial Hotel, well located in the Quarter, may be just what you want.

http://www.hotelprovincial.com/index...FWUV7AodVk8AyQ
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 10:02 AM

I stayed at the Provincial Hotel many years ago (not the cold Christmas year) and liked it very much. The location is perfect, out of the noisiest part of the French Quarter while still in it. It's small enough to feel intimate and likely better heated than the "charming" one I spoke about above. But it's been a long time so check Trip Advisor for up to date reviews. I can, however, recommend the location.