New Orleans or D.C. in early April?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're trying use our miles for a week-long trip in the first week of April, and the options that we have are D.C. and New Orleans? Which one should we take as they both are interesting travel destinations.

D.C. -- both DH and I have been to but it's about 10 years
-- Cherry Blossom festival is going on at that time
-- We're interested in seeing some of the museums, Monticello, Mt Vernon, etc.

NOLA -- DH has never been, but I've been there twice before Katrina
-- good food , interesting culture
-- interested in driving outside the city to see the plantations, rural areas

Anything new about these places that we should be aware of? It looks like a toss up unless you could persuade us otherwise. Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:26 AM

I think both are great destinations - New Orleans is one of my favorite cities and we are planning our 2nd trip to DC later this year. I have to go with New Orleans though in a straight comparisson. One thing to consider with NO though is that the French Quarter festival is sometime in April - that may be a positive or a negative depending on what your interests are.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:29 AM

You've picked two of my favorite cities. Love DC's museums and sights. Getting around the city is so easy with the subway. Love NO for the food and culture. You won't go wrong either way. I would tend to lean toward NO.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for weighing, so 2 for NO and 0 for DC so far. DH will probably prefer NO, but I'm still leaning toward DC because our trip will coincide with the Cherry Blossom Festival. For those who have attended one, would you say it's a must-see/do? What are your favorite activities at the festival? The night lantern walk sounds interesting, as well as the paddle on the water to view cherry blossoms.

Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:29 PM

I think early April will be middle school spring break trip time in DC as well.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Now I'm wondering what we can do in a week in New Orleans? We'll be willing to rent a car and make road trips too.

Please suggest some places outside of NOLA to visit. We're interested in unique food, nature, outdoors activities, culture, etc.

Thanks
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 05:27 AM

NOLA!!

Things to do outside of the city that you wouldn't need a car for are swamp and plantation tours - they have shuttles that will pick you up and deliver back at your hotel. Other trips that would need a car would be a Tabasco factory tour and maybe a trip into Cajun country.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 06:19 AM

As a local to the D.C. area, I'd have to recommend someplace other than D.C. during Cherry Blossom Festival. It's really crowded, not only with regular visitors but with kids on school-sponsored tours during Spring Break.
Come visit in September or October--the weather's great and the school tours haven't started up yet.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM

Now that you mention it my daughter will be one of those middle school kids. Definitely go to NO.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

So, DC is totally packed during Cherry Blossom Festival and should be avoided. I thought it's one of those things you have to do before u die, but you think it's not worth fighting the crowd?

Let me look more closely at NOLA then, and see how we could spend 1 week there.

Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 12:36 PM

I would tend to lean more towards NOLA as well. I think the weather is probably more consistently better than in DC (although it can be lovely in DC in April I think they still can get some cold spells whereas New Orleans is always nice in April).

I think April is an ideal time to tour Cajun Country, maybe get a convertible and go plantation touring and to see Avery Island, the Jungle Gardens should be superb in April.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:44 AM

French Quarter Fest is April 9-11. All the more reason to come down during that time.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 12:21 PM

I don't know what the French Qtr Fest is, but the Jazz & Heritage Festival starts in April this year, at the end of the month. I loved that, although they've raised the fees a lot. It's still a bargain for what you get, I think.

I live in DC, and avoid the entire downtown area during cherry blossom festival. The metros are packed, it's just miserable. I did see the blossoms once in all the time I lived here. I guess if you are nuts about cherry blossoms it would be a must-see, it wouldn't be to me as I've seen so many other great nature vistas that are more natural (ie, not 10 million people walking around under the trees).
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 12:51 PM

NOLA, no contest.