Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans or Charleston for a Sixtieth Birthday Party?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends (around forty of us) will be celebrating our sixtieth birthdays together in 2006. We are interested in meeting in Charleston, SC or New Orleans. Could you suggest a good mid-range hotel which would be suitable for us in each city?
Thanks so much.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:22 AM

The Monteleone is large, not sure about the price. An older New Orleans French Quarter hotel. Be sure to book New Orleans outside of two Jazz Fest weeks when hotel prices are doubled (usually last wk. in April and first week in May, or thereabouts).
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Tadoori Girl. I appreciate the suggestion.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:55 PM

I think I asked this question on another thread, but I'm not sure what the answer was. What month do you plan on going? You could easily eliminate New Orleans if you plan on being there during the summer, especially during August or September...

I've only been in Charleston once during the summer but I don't remember ANYPLACE being as miserable as NO during August or September.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Susan, you did ask on another thread. I have visited both cities several times and share your concerns about timing. We are turning sixty and we all take that as license to have a party a month that year...so we will plan to hit either Charleston or New Orleans during "good" months.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Okay, now that I'm sure you won't broil...you might consider the Quarter House in the French Quarter. It's a timeshare that rents to non-owners and has all manner of accommodations. I have no idea if it could house 40 of you, but it'd be worth a try. We'd stayed in the penthouse a few years ago and it was really nice. The website is quarterhouse.com.

There's a Holiday Inn in the French Quarter that's mid-range called Chateau LeMoyne that's very nice and not at all a Holiday Inn type place. There are also several chain hotels on Canal that're mid-range that I'm sure could accommodate all of you. Do NOT get too near Rampart and definitely don't get on the other side of it from the French Quarter.

The only place I'm familiar with in Charleston is the Charleston Place...fabulous concierge floor with such good food we barely left
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions, Susan. As you might imagine, trying to accomodate the wide range of budgets and tastes is a tough one. You have given us some great suggestions. Charleston Place is a little too high for this group, but I share your assessment. WHAT A PLACE!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 03:43 AM

Susan,

You've probably heard this, but PJ O'Rourke once described being in NOLA in the summer as "like taking a sauna in a high crime drainage ditch"...
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 08:18 AM
GoTravel

Charleston hands down.

The Doubletree is an excellent middle of the road hotel in a wonderful location downtown.

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, GoTravel. Have you ever been to the Mills house? Opinion, please?
The Bob Ellis website is down. What kind of shoes do they carry and what is their address?
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:14 AM
GoTravel

I love Bob Ellis! Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choo, Gucci, Versace, Sergio Rossi, Tod's, Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, Christian Laboutin, and just about any other brand you can think of. They are on King Street.

I like the Mills House just fine but like the Doubletree better. Prices on both should be similar.

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, GoTravel. I will be in Charleston this spring and will check out the Doubletree...AND BOB ELLIS.