Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   New Orleans Noise?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/new-orleans-noise-518888/)

RJNAO Apr 5th, 2005 08:54 PM

New Orleans Noise??

I am planning a trip to NO for the 1st time. While looking here in this forum, I've noticed a concern about noise on Bourbon Street. Care to fill me in? Is it extremely bad? (BTW, I am going with my best Friend...for a guys week away from the wives)

R

PS Hotel Suggestions? looking for: Safe, reasonably price for May or June, in the heart of food & music, clean, we expect to be there very little...

logandog Apr 5th, 2005 08:57 PM

Guys? Looking for a safe place? Come on ,take a chance. You'll be fine.

RJNAO Apr 6th, 2005 04:20 AM

thanks for all the very helpful information you offered. ???

Dan Apr 6th, 2005 05:27 AM

Bourbon is very noisy between Canal and, say, St. Ann street. After that it turns to residential and is pretty much the same as most other residential FQ streets.

Quieter option: Omni Royal Orleans. One block away, very elegant, friendly staff.

placeu2 Apr 6th, 2005 05:40 AM

I did a guys trip a few years ago and stayed right on Bourbon street....easier to stumble back to in the wee hours!

I guess I don't know what kind of noise you are concerned about. Street noise interrupting your sleep? Partiers in the hall?
Any of the above were not experienced by us. We stayed at the Wyndham on Orleans and Bourbon.

Consider that you will collapse in bed with the AC running at who knows what time of the early AM. I even had one early night to bed and still heard nothing. The convenience of being that near Bourbon street is worth it. if you still have concerns, ask for a room as high as possible.

Be sure and check out Ricks!

SusanCS Apr 6th, 2005 06:21 AM

The Royal Sonesta is right on Bourbon Street, but if you get a room overlooking the courtyard/pool (rather than Bourbon Street) you'll never hear a bit a street noise. The location is great and so is the hotel.

You should be able to get good rates at any NO hotel in the summer.

MFNYC Apr 6th, 2005 06:31 AM

The French Quarter of NOLA is a fairly small area. Bourbon St is noisy but almost any other street isn't. We stayed at the Alexa Hotel on Royal St (a block form borubon) and it was quiet.

ltt Apr 6th, 2005 07:02 AM

we stayed at the chateau motor hotel on chartres street. 5 minute walk to the "center" of the action and also only 5 minute walk in the other direction to the river. has a small pool.

snowrooster Apr 6th, 2005 08:48 AM

I'll second the recommendation for the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon. We've stayed there before in a courtyard room and didn't have any problem w/noise. It really is great being in the heart of the FQ and being able to wander in for a quick afternoon nap! We're going to NO for our anniversary in July and I'm hoping the rates go down for summer (I know they did last time we went!). I used to live in NO and have always found the city VERY safe as long as you stay in the well traveled areas (just avoid dark side streets/alleys as you would in any city).

RJNAO Apr 6th, 2005 05:18 PM

thanks more input always welcome...

BTW, I am not really concerned about the noise, I was just curious as to why it was mentioned so much here on this forum. Actually, I think I would enjoy the noise & activity. I 've stayed in many hotels that overlooked the husle of a city or party town. (NYC Time SQ, Amsterdam Center, etc.)